Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by six states last week to see about a new clutch. Had some buddies tell me they could build one for a comparible price and quality. I told them I needed a clutch to hold 650 hp. They said it was no problem and they could have it ready tomorrow if I wanted. I grilled him for a few minutes and it turns out they would make it out of ceramic and kevlar. Driveability would be pretty good with a little bouncing backing a trailer. There would be no hydraulic upgrade for the peddle (told me the way they built it I wouldn't need it). I finally asked what the damages would be (expecting about 1400) and he told me $650. I think my jaw hit the floor. Any thoughts? Am I getting the run around or is this legit? One thing is for sure, this fits my budget!

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
650? not with a single disk clutch. also with the g56 regaurdless of which clutch you choose the hydraulic upgrade is a must. like i always say do it right the first time so you dont have to do it again. good luck

·
Banned
2,047 Posts
I call :BS::BS::BS: For at least 650hp like you say, you're looking at a DD and at least $1400.00 and probably a bit more!!!:$::$:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Do not expect a ceramic clutch to drive any where close to an organic, Driving a ceramic is release clutch, then pedal down on throttle. There is no slip in a ceramic clutch and if you do it will get hot then it will grab even more harshly, It only takes one misstep and the clutch is junk and you will not be able to release it. When backing up you want to preplann your moves as you will soon learn. PLAY SAFE!

·
Banned
2,158 Posts
heck, my OFE held 650hp.....
UNTIL I hooked to the sled.

So I dont doubt this clutch would hold 650hp, but I think it would slip with the first really heavy wieght behind it

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
i dont know what plate load they offer, but a kevlar/ceramic, 650 hp, IMO i wouldnt believe it. i have never saw a single that could hold that much power and if it does it wont be very driver friendly

·
Registered
963 Posts
I don't know about the clutch you speak of. But in a class eight, if you do an upgrade or boost the power up you have to get the numbers of the clutch and have it checked, the HP is not even on the list "Torque" is all they worry about. PLAY SAFE!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you guys recommend then? I have a price qoute from valair and it sounds like a sb DD is pretty much the same price. I hate the feeling of slipping the clutch. It's like throwing power out the window. I definitely want something that will hold but it needs to smooth as well.

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
valiar and southbend are great clutches I run the southbend Con FE and love it its all up to who you want to go with Ive heard great things from both of them and Ive heard great things about both of them..

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
What do you guys recommend then? I have a price qoute from valair and it sounds like a sb DD is pretty much the same price. I hate the feeling of slipping the clutch. It's like throwing power out the window. I definitely want something that will hold but it needs to smooth as well.
southbend is the only way to go!!! IMHO.

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
A single disk will hold 650 hp it has been proven on dynos, but dont even think of sled pullin or pulling a heavy load and expecting it not to slip, I am probably holding alittile over 600 on my stock clutch next time I dyno I will know for sure, it all ready has held 554 and 1121

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
I have the valair dual disk. Great clutch so far. Put about 1000 miles on it as my daily driver. Tows fine. Its grabby but you get used to it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I love my new VALAIR DD, it is a great clutch for daily driving and towing

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Which is smoother for a daily driver? I still need something that will take whatever I can throw at it though.

·
Registered
740 Posts
650? not with a single disk clutch. also with the g56 regaurdless of which clutch you choose the hydraulic upgrade is a must. like i always say do it right the first time so you dont have to do it again. good luck
i will second that with the hydrolic upgrade. i have the sbc 3250 dual disk and i have only had it for about a month and my stocker is already going out. when i push in the clutch it feels like sand is in there almost like fluid is passing by the cylinder. well thats what it is. but shifting is deffinatly a little more notchy. like the clutch isnt fully disengauging. i think that might be a good project this weekend

1 - 18 of 18 Posts