Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im looking to put a 62, 64, or 66 turbo on my truck but I want as much power as possible with little lag. I also want the most reliable setup as I daily drive my truck and tend to beat on it. MY mods so far are and H&S tuner, Turbo back exhaust and an intake. I just got the head gasket done and replaced the head studs with 425s and I have upgraded my tranny with better clutches and torque converter. Just would like to know what turbo would fit my needs best and what mods I would need to do with which ever turbo to have it as reliable as possible. Also would like to know if it would be beneficial to run the ats copilot with these turbos.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
66 or bigger. read Krazeeun and Blackmega3500's threads on turbos. Also RJP has had alot of trial and error on turbos.

·
So God Made a Farmer..
2,174 Posts
use the search function and READ!!!! numerous threads on here about charger setups...get ta readin newb.

Reactions: Alabama Mud Machine

·
Registered
2010 LB MiniMaxx, 625s, Fass 150
870 Posts
Definitely yes on the co-pilot. Its awesome.

·
Unreconstructed
6,500 Posts
Correct turbo deminsions: 66/74/14

Now, as for brand, make & model......Use the search function.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a silver bullet 66 on mine and love it. It is only alittle laggy when you are driving slow maybe under 30mph. But normal driving it spools just like stock with alittle extra fuel

Reactions: Alabama Mud Machine

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a 66/74 on mine and its perfect for a dd and towing. If you are wanting to add fuel, I would go bigger. There are tons of threads on here to find what you are looking for but to tatersalad, you were just asking about a turbo a couple of weeks ago, we all have questions. Maybe you should have done some research before you asked. That's what the forums for!

Reactions: WouldRatherbeCummin

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i hate when people do say use the search function I have looked Im asking what I would need along with my mods to run the 66 reliable. I know I will need the turbo and manifold but other than that what do I need as far as tranny engine work. WIll the ats copilot be sufficient enough to run with the 66 or do I need more tranny work?

·
Unreconstructed
6,500 Posts
You will need a 3rd Gen Manifold, some coolant caps, and 66mm turbo, tools, and plenty of time on your hands. Being able to remove the passender side inner fender well & tire make the job alot easier, too.

Is that more helpful?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I hear that. You can find your coolant line plugs at FTE for like 10 bucks. I just had a couple right sized bolts laying around. 3rd gen manny, longer oil drain tube, longer oil feed line, 3rd gen elbow off the back of the turbo. You can pm me if ya have more questions and also I'm thinkin bout selling my setup if your interested

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear that. You can find your coolant line plugs at FTE for like 10 bucks. I just had a couple right sized bolts laying around. 3rd gen manny, longer oil drain tube, longer oil feed line, 3rd gen elbow off the back of the turbo. You can pm me if ya have more questions and also I'm thinkin bout selling my setup if your interested
How much power u making any tranny work?

·
Registered
523 Posts
At Scheid back in August I made 460 hp. That was Smarty on revo, no mp-8 and no arson 3 kit, and a slushy tranny. My tranny has definately suffered and has given out.Now I'm doing a fully built 47re. I don't know what you have done, but those are some good baseline numbers for you. If you have a built tranny expect alot more.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I just finished my SB66 install a week ago. The stock oil line fit perfect. No need for a longer one unless you want to route it somewhere else. The stock drain line will work also if you just stretch it out a bit. Stock injectors work fine for my towing needs. Unless you can work with the tuning, (EFI Live or something else) larger injectors will burn more fuel usually. Same loads, same terrain, same tuning my new combo runs around 300 degrees cooler egts. I turned it down so it is only boosting 26 psi now...but it pulls a lot more air at that pressure than the stock VGT. It still pulls a lot better than the stock VGT and is a lot more fun to drive when I am not towing. For my needs/wants I am not sure if I would go all that much larger in a single...might go to compounds for my next build.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Wish I had your luck. My oil drain tube was every bit of 1.5" short and the feed line was even worse

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.