Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 with a 6 speed, I think it is a NV5600. The reverse is up to the right. I have 38K on the truck and would like to change the fluid to something good to help with the shifting, I get a little scratch when shifting to 3rd. What oil should I run. Amsoil, synthetics?

·
On call 24/7
12,347 Posts
I use Royal purple in mine. I think its called synchromax, remember to get 6qts total. At 6 qts it will be overfilled by about 1 qt but it seems to make the front bairings last longer.

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,672 Posts
Mopar ATF +4. Best thing since buttered bread.

·
Registered
246 Posts
lucas oil heavy duty tranny lube and 1 quart stabilizer. Royal purple is some good stuff too, but a little more expensive.

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,672 Posts
Are you sure NV5600's take ATF?
Oh hell, my bad i was thinking of my 06 with the automatic. Sorry bud. Disreguard my dumbness.

·
Registered
186 Posts
you got my vote on Amsoil MTF Syncromesh, shifts smoother now

·
Registered
17 Posts
yep

Are you sure NV5600's take ATF?
yeah it sounds crazy but they actually do...i work at an auto shop and had one of my mechanics look it up, cause i wanted to change my tranny fluid, and i also had no idea.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would read the owners manual and then do a search of one of the other 800 threads that ask the same question. In my rebuilt NV 5600 I run the Mopar lube that's specified in the owners manual. I don't know what the previous owner of my truck did but it ended up costing me close to $2K, and that was with a discount because a buddy of mine owns the tranny shop that managed to find a good 2WD tranny from a wrecked 3500. Believe me, you don't want to be farting around with these tranny's. Go spend the coin for the good stuff. And as for the overfill trick, it was recommended to me not to do it unless you want to risk blowing out the front seal which means a new clutch. Spend the dough for the good stuff from Mother Mopar.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Nv5600 don't take ATF, the G56's do! Either way i went i would go with Royal Purple, its a little $$$ but well worth it, i put it in my G56 and it made a world of difference!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts