Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking I wanna do a 6 speed swap in my 96. What will I need from a doner truck. Found a 02 with 6 speed in it what do I need to get out of it so the swap looks factory please any help I have never done a swap. I know I will need t case tranny master cylinder floor piece and what else.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Do a search here for G56 swap. GAmes did it and so have others.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wouldn't it be a nv5600 swap

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yes

I'm sure there are A LOT of threads around here on the subject.

Give us a little more background on the truck your wanting to swap the 6spd in to. What your options/availability are with the donor truck, whats in the truck currently etc.

Your list looks pretty good thus far. Add:The pedal assembly, driveshafts. To be safe bellhousing adapter, flywheel, t case lever. Double check the starter part #'s.

·
VP of the dry side
4,217 Posts
If that tranny is messed up or you break something it'll cost a lot to fix. Be better off with a g56 and a lazersmith torque shield. What hp you going for? Why not just a nv4500

On Cummins forum instead of working or doing homework

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I swapped in an NV4500 as its a good reliable trans after 5th gear is fixed. Even if you lose 5th your generally just left with 4 gears. For me thats not a big deal.
For my towing needs the NV4500 was the best cost effective solution.
quoted from Standard transmission, a complete overhaul in a worst case senario, would cost me $1450 and that to me, is cheap.
Odds are, I may end up rebuilding this trans one time in the total life of the truck.
There are advantages to a 6 speed no doubt there, but the cost will be considerably higher.
It cost me $1100 to swap in the manual because I sold my auto.
I sold other things kicking around my yard so, in reality it cost me nothing at all :thumbsup:

For a 2nd gen Dodge Cummins, the NV4500 is a great trans. Nothing is perfect.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I did mine all by my self. It did take 4 guys to put the nv5600 in bc it is crazy heavy. I got every thing up needed out of an 02 truck.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I did mine all by my self. It did take 4 guys to put the nv5600 in bc it is crazy heavy. I got every thing up needed out of an 02 truck.
There was no way in hell I was lifting even the NV4500. I needed a jack.
My truck was not on a lift, I was working on my back.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You will also need to get the crossmember out of the 02. Your 97 crossmember won’t be wide enough. Also get the starter spacer and bolts off the 02. There is also an adapter plate that bolts between the 5600 and the crossmember that you will need. The last two little things are the longer transfer case shift rod and the shift pattern insert. Reverse is at a bad spot so if you ever let someone borrow the truck, the need to know where it's at!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts