Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a 03-05 Dodge 2500 4x4 6 speed manual. I am scared to buy one WITHOUT the NV5600.
Does anyone have any comments on the new Getrag 6 speed?
Should I stay away from a truck with the Getrag?
THX--Matt

·
Registered
317 Posts
Havn't had a problem with mine, it is a very strong tranny and won't be a problem for you.

Zach

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
mines still holding up great!!!! and i beat the crap out of it daily!!!:peelout

·
Registered
91 Posts
isnt the clutch the actual problem when they went with the g56?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mine is at the dealer right now i had 2nd and 6th gear left and could not downshifted it at all all and the best part is it only has 28000 miles on it!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
AFAIK it's not the 6-speed that is the weak spot, but the stock clutch. Whatever gearbox you end up with, if you do any significant performance mods, sooner or later you will need an upgraded clutch.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I am looking to buy a 03-05 Dodge 2500 4x4 6 speed manual. I am scared to buy one WITHOUT the NV5600.
Does anyone have any comments on the new Getrag 6 speed?
Should I stay away from a truck with the Getrag?
THX--Matt
If you want a trans that you can bang through the gears, the G56 is not the one for you.

BD Diesel has a quick-shift unit that might help.

·
Banned
393 Posts
What is this im reading??? That the Six speed manual cant handle power??? Last months Diesel Power had a 1000+ HP sled puller runnin a stock Manual with a south bend clutch...how is that week? Jusr curious because i always heard they were bullet proof rather than the clutch.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
What is this im reading??? That the Six speed manual cant handle power??? Last months Diesel Power had a 1000+ HP sled puller runnin a stock Manual with a south bend clutch...how is that week? Jusr curious because i always heard they were bullet proof rather than the clutch.
Moonraker is right, the G56(which I have) can handle gobs of torque but the clutch will fail. If you're going to tow 10-20K, a new aftermarket clutch is a necessity.

·
Banned
393 Posts
What kind do you all reccomend? On my old 12 valve, i ran a Centerforce clutch, but everyone said i should be using a southbend. If i got one it have to be a double disc...how much do they run? Im no tranny guy, so what does the install usually run as well?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hoof, I would advise looking into either South Bend or ValAir. Throw up a thread in the price quote section and see what happens.

Zach

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys are great. I'm not going to the race track or anything. I will be hauling a camper though. I was just concerned about longevity. My freind has rebuilt his auto 3 times in 130,000 miles. I am looking for the reliability of a NV5600. Keep the comments comming. THX--matt

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
You guys are great. I'm not going to the race track or anything. I will be hauling a camper though. I was just concerned about longevity. My freind has rebuilt his auto 3 times in 130,000 miles. I am looking for the reliability of a NV5600. Keep the comments comming. THX--matt
Well I would go with the G56 over the nv5600 anyday (unless you pull a sled), they stopped making the nv5600, so if you break (which is rare, but does happen), your up the creek without a paddle, b/c nobody has parts for it

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nobody has parts for the NV5600???

They were available up to 2004 right?

Isn't there a law that requires automakers to produce parts for the vehicles they sell far at least 5 years???

·
It's got 12 Valves...
4,472 Posts
My g56 is holding strong and seems like a great trans :thumbsup..I will let you know more as soon as I start putting some power to it :$: :$:

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Moonraker is right, the G56(which I have) can handle gobs of torque but the clutch will fail. If you're going to tow 10-20K, a new aftermarket clutch is a necessity. If I was going to tow 10-20K very much , I would get a bigger truck than a 2500 or 3500. Just not real safe.:lol3:
If I was going to tow 10-20K very much , I would get a bigger truck than a 2500 or 3500. Just not real safe.:lol3:[/QUOTE

·
Registered
293 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts