Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kinda asked this in another thread but didn't get much respose.

When my truck is running in 6th gear and about 55-60mph it loads up like going up an incline it gets the bad drone in the trans like my air compressor is running. Once I kick it out of 6th down to 5th it is fine. I anyone else having this issue?? Is it just because the truck is lugging? It does it not only unloaded, but towing my 10K trailer too in tow/haul.

Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
I get some rear end noise at around 70mph, but nothing else. If I could get a diesel sounding exhaust, I'd never hear the rear end gears. Truck is too quiet when you can hear that kind of stuff!

·
FUEL
646 Posts
6th gear + low speed + load (up hill or accelerating) is ALWAYS going to drone in any vehicle. my jeep, my jetta, and both my dodges have done it. its just physics man. that motor at low rpm is like a jackhammer against that tranny. keep it out of 6th going up hills, especially at like 50-55mph, and DEFINITELY when pulling a load. these motors are meant to spin between 1500 and 2500 for sure.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I kinda asked this in another thread but didn't get much respose.

When my truck is running in 6th gear and about 55-60mph it loads up like going up an incline it gets the bad drone in the trans like my air compressor is running. Once I kick it out of 6th down to 5th it is fine. I anyone else having this issue?? Is it just because the truck is lugging? It does it not only unloaded, but towing my 10K trailer too in tow/haul.

Chris
There was a guy on here that had the same thing.

He ended up with a new trany.

I think he was from Canada, but I cant remember his name.

Also, his did it after towing too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use 6th gear very seldom. I drive 60 - 65 mph when loaded and up to 70 unloaded in 5th gear. The engine has to work harder in 6th gear and consequently uses more fuel. I try keep my engine speed between 1800 and 2400 rpm. In city driving I may have to run 3rd gear. My best fuel mileage is obtained with the engine running in that range. I drive 5 - 6 hundred miles per day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts