Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ran this lift i have a 09 2500 shortbed and this truck will beat you to death any ideas or anyone had this problem with this kit

·
Registered
492 Posts
That kit is not known for being smooth riding but u can greatly improve the ride. First get some bilstein 5100 shocks, that should help alot over fabtechs cheap white shocks. Then if your still not happy u can get some progressive rate coil springs. After those two things about all u can do is upgrade to a long arm kit, which will make a big difference in ride..

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Mxsledder hit the nail on the head. There are really 3 main things that affect the ride in that truck.. 1). springs, 2). shocks, 3). control arm angle. You can get a pretty decent ride out of short arms if the first 2 are good quality. Do what mxsledder said and you'll be amazed at the difference.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
a 5100 is still very stiff onroad, get a hold of thuren , he sees to have a god eye for others spring rates.... then look at a 2.0 shock with some custom valving.... the ride wil be dramatic. als look into rear leafs , the stockers are unbelievably stiff.

·
Registered
189 Posts
All the above is great advice. Another thing to try is lowering your tire pressure if you have it high. A lot of us run 40-45psi up front and 35-40(some may be lower) out back on the road and not towing. Best part is that it's free to try.

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Has anyone ran this lift i have a 09 2500 shortbed and this truck will beat you to death any ideas or anyone had this problem with this kit
Like already noted it is the combination of stiff coils, short arms, and cheap shocks. And since it just uses a block in the rear you are still dealing with stiff rear leafs. I have had alot of customers upgrade parts to improve the ride on the 6" Fabtech kits but they weren't totally happy until the addressed all 4 of those items.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what do yall think about doing the fox 2.25's for better shox good or bad choice?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'd spend the money on long arms before I spent it on Fox shocks.

The angle you are now running with a 6" and short arms is transferring all the force straight up into the frame rails instead of to the springs.

We see this all the time when guys try to overly lift coil spring Jeeps. They end up pogo-sticking all over and it beats them to death inside the cab.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, new to the site but anyway i have the exact same setup as mentioned above on my 2007 2500 5.9L...6in fabtech performance system with coils,carli front end mods, 37's w 20's...the ride beats me up on trips..anyway do you guys know whats involved to switch to a long arm system? do you have to re-do the who setup? thanks

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
no, you just have to install the long arms...after you remove the short arms of course

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
I wish this thread could be a quote some where...

We are constantly preaching to people that you can get a better ride out of Carli Thuren and now Pure is trying to come up, but people always say that " I dont plan on jumping my truck so why do I need that stuff" This is a very good thread and I hate to see people waste there money especially this day in age but the benefits of gettin better package thats purposly built for the Dodge is hands down the only way to go,. These people actually care about how your truck rides..Fabtech, Skyjacker, Procomp dont care.

Most of these guys have nailed it on the head, but now after spending the money you have to spend even more..

Most people have to go through this several times over..sucks man but good luck

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just put the 6 inch pure performance long arm kit on mine with bilsein 5100 shocks. I love this kit!! Even with 24 inch wheels the truck rides-handles very good..

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Hi there, new to the site but anyway i have the exact same setup as mentioned above on my 2007 2500 5.9L...6in fabtech performance system with coils,carli front end mods, 37's w 20's...the ride beats me up on trips..anyway do you guys know whats involved to switch to a long arm system? do you have to re-do the who setup? thanks
Since the original poster asked these questions he has upgraded to Carli coils, Atlas leafs, and should be installing his Pure long arm upgrade in the next few days. Hopefully he will report back his findings next week.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
That sounds like a great upgrade!

What makes Atlas so nice is that you can spec the rear leafs however you would like.. Long Travel-Light Rate, Mid Travel-Mid Rate, and Heavy Duty....

JP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts