Cummins Diesel Forum banner

6.7L MIL is back on - dealer says Turbo needs to be cleaned...

3K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  ogre593 
#1 ·
The last time this came on I drove for around 1 hour and it cleared. It came back on again, so I decided to take it to the dealer. They had it over the weekend and told me this morning that the turbo needs to be cleaned. They also said they don't have the capability to do this and referred me to another dealer. From what I have researched in the forum, I am thinking this is common with these vehicles (even though it is a pain) - is it common? How bad is it? Am I in for a shock with this rig? Thanks!

#3 ·
FOX19, what did you end up doing?

#4 ·
Yep, Its a problem. Mine was in today for a new turbo, Dealer called me this afternoon to tell me the wrong one was shipped, numbers did not match. They were overnighting one from Dallas, Texas. If your truck throws a p2262 code after the second time it gets a new turbo. The first time mine throw the code I took it into the dealer and they did what Dodge said to do. Three days later it went off again. I called the dealer, told them it through another p2262 code the service manager said I will order you the "turbo kit". The service manager told me a second p2262 code gets you a new turbo. This is getting old. As soon as I can find a DPF delete with an EGR delete included mine is coming off.

#5 ·
Mine has thrown more than 5 turbo codes and I'm dow to the point were they drill/tap the dam turbo just so they can clean it. This is just a band aid so they don't order you a new turbo everytime you come in with that code. HMathews hope you have patients because you'll be in for a long ride with dodge. I'm getting the DPF delete installed tomorrow so I'll keep you guys posted with the results. I believe the EGR delete that has been shown in this forum is ok you'll just throw codes, but the problem will be solved. If this doesn't work out I'll be looking for a 5.9, I've been dealing with this for over a year and the Dodge just can't get my truck to run right, I'm just getting mad because I can't drive my $45k truck without having a problem.

#6 ·
FF/PM1374 said after the second time you are supposed to get a new turbo kit. I am just starting to worry right now; the truck is a pleasure to drive, but the problems is another story...

Sure keep us posted on how the DPF delete is going. I am thinking about doing this, with view of getting more MPG. Thanks.

#7 ·
I had to have my turbo replaced just 3 days ago with 10,00 miles on the truck. I hear of people getting this DPF and EGR delete how does it work. Are people actually removing the filter off of the truck, if so is that illegal and void you warranty? What does EGR Stand For? If you can remove the stupid DPF who con do it? My stupid filter has 30% of it's capacity already used from idling in cold temperatures in Alaska but now I live in Florida so I don't have to worry about that issue anymore, thanks for your help.

#9 ·
I just had my turbo drilled last thur. and they put the cleaner in it. The tech at the dealership said that the flashes before the ax were the cause for so much soot. He said now that I had everything cleaned the ax flash should keep it clean. If I get the p2262 again he will rep. the turbo.

#12 ·
The tech at the dealership said that the flashes before the ax were the cause for so much soot. He said now that I had everything cleaned the ax flash should keep it clean.
Mmmm, I don't know about that, dude. I've been running on the AV flash for nearly all of my truck's 14K miles and I've yet to throw a turbo-related code. Maybe I'm one of the lucky few, or maybe my truck just has a longer fuse than some of the timebombs kicking around, but the only code my truck has ever thrown is when I forget and engage the high idle with the EB on.

I hope the AX works for you, though.

#11 ·
The only fix Dodge has currently is like a bandaid. it solves no issue, just prolongs the issue until they figure out how to fix it with the EGR (exhaust Gas Recirculation) on the truck. The majority of the people that have had this issue and did the deletes dont seem to have the problem anymore. Yes, the deletes will most likely void your warranty. They can be done by yourself in the driveway with mostly simple tools and a little elbow grease.

#13 ·
I don't think any changes have been made on the 6.7 turbos but not 100% sure. The drill/tap into the turbo is a band aid, think about how much money Dodge would lose if everyone would get a new turbo for P2262 everytime. I'm sure the EGR delete pics that Compcowboy has posted should commingle with the DPF delete. I will find out tomorrow since my DFP will fall off. If you think about it you can put it all back to stock and take it to the dealer if you have another problem. I know they will question why the regeneration has not worked however you just have to play dumb. I have sworn to my wife if this doesn't work I'll try to find a newer 5.9 , I just have to have a cummins.

#14 ·
Guys...Read some of the posts I left there is a new generation turbo out the SB Cleaning of the turbo will not fix the problem. It’s a ty temp fix. Many of us have had the same problem. Here is what you need to do and trust me I know.

-Find a dealer and a tech that are familiar with the problem. MY truck sat for 2 weeks at a Dodge Dealer that tried the SB Cleaning Procedure.

-The only true fix is a new turbo!!! If they won’t do it find a dealer that will!!!

For any of you that are in the Charlotte NC area stay away from Metrolina Dodge. I recommend Stateline in Fort Mill SC. Talk to Ron Buffington he knows what’s going on

Also Dodge has rental car provisions for this SB. I went over 2 weeks truckles until I smartened up and took it to a dealership that has dealt with the problem.

Any other questions feel free to ask me. No one should have to go through what I went through.

#17 ·
thanks for the help. I spoke to my dealer to get a better understanding of how a non-changed turbo would help. It appears that the cleaning system only cleans the exhaust side of turbo. So all of the soot the egr has put in the inlet side is still there.

#22 ·
There shouldn't be soot on the inlet side of the turbo, its intake is right after the air filter.

Attachments

#18 ·
Yep, they will clean the turbo and later on you will have the same problem. Eventually the turbo will have to be replaced.

#20 ·
New Turbo

The problem is not with the turbos. It is the fact that our EPA has required that diesels be more envirometally freindly. So now they have chocked them down and feed them all the soot that they used to exhale. Doing this has also created the worst fuel economy ever seen in diesel engines. What is worse? Bruning twice the fuel or spitting black smoke?

I had my turbo replaced twice and EGR replaced once and numerous other visits to the ER. Now I have deleted all the crap and have not had any trouble. And gained MPGs to boot!:hyper:

#25 ·
If it is full of soot. Has anyone ever cleaned it themselves when they put the downpipe on for the deletes? Would your intercooler be dirty too?

#28 ·
I just had mine back at the dealer for the fourth p-2262 code.They cleaned it once about a week ago,and I drove it to PA. from TENN. were I live around 623mi.one-way with no problems until today when I got back,they are now going to replace my turbo with a new one tomorrow,I had to get my salesman and his boss envolved and they talked to the service manger and their diesel mech.it seemed to help me out having to do that,and i guesse having bought four dodges from them in the last three years also helped,so maybe you could try to get your salesman involved to help,good luck.

#29 ·
I know this all costs us time and money, but it's also costing Chrysler time and money to put these bandaids on, replace turbos, etc. While I don't know the details of the EPA credit deal they supposedly entered, or if it's even true, I've got to imagine that if I am Chrysler, and all this EPA nonsense is eating into my bottom line, then I'm gonna call BS on them! I know the auto mfrs set aside some money as a reserve against warranty repairs, but this seems out of hand and excessive with this soot buildup. At this point, I'm telling the EPA to shove it, that they've instituted unrealistic measures that are costing way too much money to control.

#30 ·
Maybe it's just me, but we can clean up our exhaust all day long, but in the end, we are just going to continue to use more and more fuel that could be saved if this egr/dpf crap didn't come factory installed. Kill the ozone or deplete all fossil fuels. Either way it's retarded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.