Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this truck less than 1000 miles and the Malfunction Indicator Light comes on yesterday. I do some research and I read someone saying that this engine has to come up to really high operating temperatures for it to burn all the soot and stuff, otherwise it will cause clogs and all.... Again I am new to all this stuff, and can anyone explain why the MIL light may have come on? And also how I can see this operating temperature is high enough so the engine won't mess up. Is there a way to monitor this?

Reactions: 49erjim

·
Registered
497 Posts
you have to run it on the freeway.. if you do alot of start and stopng it will clog. run it hard. do you do much freeway?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you have to run it on the freeway.. if you do alot of start and stopng it will clog. run it hard. do you do much freeway?
My commute to work is 25 miles one way (about 13 miles freeway). So should I just take it out and drive it for about 45 to 50 minutes? Should I keep it off Overdrive while doing that?

·
Registered
53 Posts
mine came in 1840kms in.. gas cap haha

·
Registered
319 Posts
From what I understand the only thing you can do is make sure you have the latest flash and they are doing ok. I had a 07.5 6.7 and had so many problem I had to have a buy back and got an 08 and love it!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
you need to see what the MIL is. Turn the key on off on off on and watch the odometer and write down the code and get back to us. It may be something different than the DPF

Chris

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I drove the truck around for about an hour on freeway and worked it a little bit today and it went off. I guess this monster has to be worked hard... honestly I like that... Now I hope I won't see the light again...:lol3:

·
Registered
2 Posts
MIL light stays on

I have a dodge Ram 2500 with a Banks power pack installed and noticed the mil on this morning. After checking the trouble codes i found PCU P1693 and ECU P0237 and P0216. I had been having trouble with power loss off and on with the accelerator seeming like it would not go beyond an idle then it would snap out of it and run O.K.
A friend said change the fuel filter, which I did and had quite a time getting it started as I didn't prime it as I should have, but it eventually started and seemed to run much better. It was several days after this fuel filter change that the mil light came on with the trouble codes. I was able to reset it and the light is out now. Would these codes have come from my fuel filter change without priming as I should? Help.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Jacdec thats loss of power and lurching on take off happens when you are doing a regen. I have also noticed that you don't hear the turbo as much during a regen

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was having the same issues, the MIL came on after roughly 1000 miles. Took my truck to the dealer, they cleaned the EGR valve (said that it had a substantial build-up of soot) and I was good to go for another 1000+/- miles. The second time the dealer flashed the PCM (due to a TSB) and replaced the turbo (said that the code had something to do with not detecting turbo boost). Knock on wood, I haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '07 3500 6.7 threw a MIL twice in a 3 week period, cleared itself and wouldn't let me pull a code. The third time it did it I got to my dealer while it was on. He said it was showing loss of turbo boost. I never noticed a difference, and fuel consumption was not affected. They pulled the turbo and cleaned it, said the variable gate was sticking, also did a particle trap burnout, and flashed the computer. All under warranty, so I didn't complain about the fuel used. Also said it was better for the turbo if you keep the Jake on when you can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts