Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 6.7l cummins from a dodge 2008 who knock -seems to be cyl. 1 or 2. I performed cylinder balance test with star scan and have between 98 and 102 for all 6 cylinders.Leaking injector or piston pin? No dtc and truck runs great. Thanks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
if you have the star scan try cylinder cutout test on #1 and #2 or cap off the rail. Fuel knocks on common rail engines sound real bad.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Is the knock while sitting still and at idle? Up top on engine or more off to the side? I get some of my injectors ticking or maybe a tapping noise at times, but I wouldn't call that a knock. Foot on the brake run up the motor in gear, she knock like this???

I know from all the fuel knocks I have delt with on mine, the fuel knocks can sound really bad when you think about just how damn much fuel pressure we have on top of the pistons. What I have wished for is a way to shut one of the three shots of the injector off, like kill the first shot on the injector, and/or just do this to one or more of the injectors; our choice on how many we may want to test like this... Let the other two injector shots per/cycle shoot off normal and see how things sound... Not sure if you guys can do this with the star scan or not? I think it would help ID a slobbering injector...

Man, I would like to hope that its a slobbering injector on this, more so than a piston problem. Just how many miles on this 6.7 anyway???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts