Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been recent rumours about trucks being inspected for presence of a DPF.

Someone suggested putting Hemi badges on the truck. Pretty hard to pass more than a rudimentary inspection with that and they would still want to see a CAT on it.

What indicators are there to help an inspector know that my 2007 (+ .5) diesel truck is supposed to have a CAT and DPF?

If they open the hood there is a giant plastic shroud that says 6.7L in bright yellow letters. That's easily removed with 4 bolts...any reason to keep it on? Does it effect airflow or cooling or anything else?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
I say cover all the 6.7 stuff up. I have wanted some 6.7 badges but with emissions in mind i have no wish to bring more attention to my truck the needed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The VIN number tells them what you have. The type of inspection varies from state to state as to what they may look for specifically.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
JB weld a distributer onto the rear of the block somewhere, cut six spark plugs in half and JB weld them onto the head... Heck, I like that idea...

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
The VIN number tells them what you have. The type of inspection varies from state to state as to what they may look for specifically.
The vin number states engine, trans, gear, ect.

But, If you not looking closely the 07 6.7 are the same as 5.9 07's with a letter being diffarent. now if you se 8g well they know all 08 are 6.7's.

Also most states only inspect commercial trucks with Truck plates.

Foe example: OH if your truck is non- com you will get a car plate.

Ky you get a weight truck plate wether non or com.

IN same way as KY.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Inspections?! We don't have no stinkin' inspections!!

All jokes aside. I feel bad for you poor bastards that have to deal with that. Personally, I'd move.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Guys you need to stop freaking out about this inspection stuff and stop freaking out everyone around these forums.

Yes there are inspections BUT most all of them are going to be for guys that are long haulers/hot shots and the such. The every day joe will not have to worry about it unless you think for some reason you want to pull into a weigh station sometime for fun.

I think people are getting a picture in their heads of the EPA police in the EPA mobile running you down on the high way just because they see a diesel truck. NO that is not happening. You know how ineffective that would be? Percentage rate of hits would be like 1% of the ones they check would have it off and not to mention they would have to drive around only looking for trucks with the new badges.

If it does happen then I guess the only good thing about getting one of the 2007's is that I can put 5.9 stuff all over my truck and hide it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys you need to stop freaking out about this inspection stuff and stop freaking out everyone around these forums.

Yes there are inspections BUT most all of them are going to be for guys that are long haulers/hot shots and the such. The every day joe will not have to worry about it unless you think for some reason you want to pull into a weigh station sometime for fun.

I think people are getting a picture in their heads of the EPA police in the EPA mobile running you down on the high way just because they see a diesel truck. NO that is not happening. You know how ineffective that would be? Percentage rate of hits would be like 1% of the ones they check would have it off and not to mention they would have to drive around only looking for trucks with the new badges.

If it does happen then I guess the only good thing about getting one of the 2007's is that I can put 5.9 stuff all over my truck and hide it.
There may not be a EPA police force but I have been pulled over for speeding in my truck and along with my speeding ticket, the officer dropped a line in my gas tank to check for off-road diesel, and I have no transfer tanks in my truck to bring any suspision.

also I had a 320hp Subaru STI that I got stopped in for rolling a stop sign, and guess what the officer got on his hands and knees and looked under the car for the catalytic converter. Don't need to have EPA police thats what they have CHP or State troopers for.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
There may not be a EPA police force but I have been pulled over for speeding in my truck and along with my speeding ticket, the officer dropped a line in my gas tank to check for off-road diesel, and I have no transfer tanks in my truck to bring any suspision.

also I had a 320hp Subaru STI that I got stopped in for rolling a stop sign, and guess what the officer got on his hands and knees and looked under the car for the catalytic converter. Don't need to have EPA police thats what they have CHP or State troopers for.

That because you live in the Commy state of California.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

I have a Hotshot business with 130,000 on my 6.7L and have been inspected @ the weight stations. They don't check for that. Not part of the Level 1 & 2 inspections. They check lights, turn signal, horn, wiper, hazards, brake, etc. They don't look under the hood or under the truck except @ your tires.

I have also got the random stops on the freeway by the TX & KS highway patrol for inspections and same thing. These are DOT Inspections I receive and they don't look for any of that stuff.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes there are inspections BUT most all of them are going to be for guys that are long haulers/hot shots and the such..
That depends entirely on what state you live in. In AZ they will find a DPF delete, Cat removed etc. and not allow registration.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got my commercial inspection and registration done here about a month ago, nobody looked at any of the emissions equipment.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
That depends entirely on what state you live in. In AZ they will find a DPF delete, Cat removed etc. and not allow registration.

ONLY STATE I WOULD WORRY ABOUT AN EPA EQUIPMENT INSPECTION WOULD BE CALIFORNIA.

All the other states probably wouldn't care if they say your truck blow'n black smoke.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thankfully there's no vehicle inspections here in OK. On the flip side you'd be surprised with the vehicles that are out here on the road. I've actually had to call the police before. There was a guy hauling a trailer with two axles, and only had two wheels on it. One on one side on the front and one on the other side on the rear, not to mention the metal strap hanging out about 4ft from the trailer. And he was pulling it with a brand new titan.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Thankfully there's no vehicle inspections here in OK. On the flip side you'd be surprised with the vehicles that are out here on the road. I've actually had to call the police before. There was a guy hauling a trailer with two axles, and only had two wheels on it. One on one side on the front and one on the other side on the rear, not to mention the metal strap hanging out about 4ft from the trailer. And he was pulling it with a brand new titan.
WOW!!! That's just retarded. You'd think people would have more brains than that. And yet they pick on us for window tint, no muffler, or whatever they feel like that day. When there are people like that driving around! JEEZ.:thud:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yea I was completely shocked. When I looked at the guy through his window he didn't seem the least bit concerned.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I went through a DOT inspection a couple weeks ago, They checked the usual, lights, tires and brakes. Never looked at the underside, even with the 6" exhaust tip hanging out the back.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I was one that thought the 6.7 trucks needed a badge to show its bad self off and glote, if nothing else to glote over how much extra fuel it burns for everyone to have this cleaner air LOL... What a freakin' joke

No badge for me, no gloting either, I just use the hell out of the fuel and roll on...

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have seen a highway patrol dip a tank of a d-max on the side of 75 before. No trailor or anything.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Living here on the border w/ Mexico, I get to see the ol' double standard almost every day. NM doesn't require too much as far as State Inspections and such, but good ol' Texas, well....that's another story. Unless you happend to have some Chihuahua plates on your truck or car. Then your good. I was pulled over a few years back w/ a brand new truck because the couldn't "see" the dealer tags. As we were standing there, here comes an old Ferd w/ about 500 pallets on it passing us on the highway. Overloaded, improperly stacked and smoking like oil fire! Buuuuuttt it had them thar plates on it from across the border and the cops didn't even pay him a second look! Oh, and they dipped their little line in my tank while I was there as well! Now that just plain ol' ticks me off! :gun2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts