Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok lets see if anyone else has had this issue with there 6.7L. I have about 13000 miles on a 08 mega cab 3/4 ton 4x4. Never had any other issues.

I was driving upa steep hill on a curvy road at around 7000ft with no load with an outside temp of 38 deg F at 35-40mph. The first day it happened 4 times in a short stretch. The truck made a fluttering sound similiar to driving on a flat tire for about 3-4 seconds at a time. There was no other simptoms besides the sound. The road was smooth. The second day it did it 2 times in different locations but same conditions. The sound is coming from the right front. I cant find anything wrong. I drove home the 3rd day loaded with no probs about 300 miles.
Anyone else have this sound? What is it or what could it be?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had the hose from the turbo to the intercooler separate where it went into the intecooler. It did not show itself unless I was under load then it make a bit of air noise but is was small enough that the CEL did not come on.

To check you'll need a friend to put it in drive and put some presure on it while holding the brakes.

Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I check it and it did not duplicate it. When it did for me was when i was NOT towing anything. The only resistance was the weight of the truck going up hill.

Thanks for the input.

Anyone else have info?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Many of us including me are getting a shutter at about 1300 RPM's in 6th gear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I kinda thought that it could be that. The first day it happened I was in "D" and at times it felt like I was in the wrong gear. The turbo was going crazy(spooling up and down frequently). The second day I kept it in "4" and the problem didnt happen as much.

If that was the issue, i cant believe how bad that sounds. It was like I was loosing a tire, super loud

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine just did it really bad, i get it from time to time when I decell, but I just got it when accelerating. I am hoping its fine when I go back out to head home. I will have to check to make sure my lines are connected.

Thought I would mention that I also have an AFE intake, Edge Juice w/ Attitude and 5" turbo back exhaust

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me know what you find.

I'm taken my truck in on Monday for them to check it out. I talked to the head diesel mech. at the dealer and he said his 6.7 did it in when he was in Colorado at high elevation. He thinks its something to do with air, the turbo compensating for thin air and the transmission not down shifting.

I'll post what they find next week.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok heres the Dealers Verdict.

"Tested system w/ star mobile & 1 stored DTC present.
p2a00 nox absorber effiecency below threshold bank.
1. perform diag per tsb #18-035-08.
replaced both o2 sensors, wrapped exaust system, (lop#25017092 .5) reprogram ECU lop#18190476 .4) CCN (lop#18190442.3) Clear DTC's"

Hopefully that does the trick.

They said one of the 02 sensors were clogged and the exhaust wasnt getting hot enough to burn out the carbon so they wrapped it.

P

·
0 Posts
Mine does it and I don't have the exhaust sensors working.

It almost feels like the trans is slipping. . . I experienced it right after I got the latest flash which also includes a flash for transmission shifting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I think the problem has been fixed. The dealer never could figure it out till I took the mech. for a drive. The truck made the same sounds as i reported. They replaced the egr and cleaned out the turbo and the emission parts.

Truck is running good with no odd sounds. The best thing is my MPG are at 18.2 - 22.8 at 60mph on flat ground empty. I was at 12-14 mpg before they worked on it. :headbang:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts