Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

6.7 with smarty?

1784 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  nathan s
Hey guys, I currently have a 08 6.7 and it has the edge juice stacked with the MP-8, and the dpf/egr delete. I am having to many problems with the delete kit i have (trying to re-gen all the time) which came with the flow pro exhaust. I have been highly reccomended to put in the smarty chip to properly delete the dpf. I was just wondering what i need to do with all the chips. I was told to run the edge on "0" (stock) and keep it for the gauge display and to read codes. And i was looking at the smarty and it says i believe to run it on odd numbers when stacked with the MP-8???? So do i need to change the edge to stock and all stock timing and do all the tuning with the smarty? and do i need to run the smarty on odd numbers? And if anyone out there has a similar set up where do you run your smart and MP-8 for equal performance and fuel economy, I have no tranny up grades and would love to have the power and keep everything in one piece...any info you guys might have will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lane
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,516 Posts
the flo pro is just pipe,right? the edge is still allowing regens. set to stock, and remove the injector harnesss, leave the obdII plugged in, install smarty with ME software and enjoy. there is a couple issues to address when you install the smarty , so just read the directions carefully. you can run the mp8 but it isnt recommended, just make sure the rail pressure setting on the smarty is on1, and you can still adjust the mp8

· MOD-A-HAULIC
1,076 Posts
the flo pro is just pipe,right? the edge is still allowing regens. set to stock, and remove the injector harnesss, leave the obdII plugged in, install smarty with ME software and enjoy. there is a couple issues to address when you install the smarty , so just read the directions carefully. you can run the mp8 but it isnt recommended, just make sure the rail pressure setting on the smarty is on1, and you can still adjust the mp8
Or take the MP8 off .. save your headgasket and use the Smarty as it was designed to be..LOL

:hehe:

· Registered
3,516 Posts
im thinking its timing, not rail pressure that blows headgaskets???? you may crack an injector, but both COULD cause that.

· Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I would be for using the Juice with Attitude you have now for guages only, setting it to zero. Remove the MP8 and then setup your Smarty Programmer in 19me and not look back dude!!!

Reactions: thunderjet

· Registered
637 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the Mp8 with the Smarty unless your towing heavy with big tunes.

Just dont delete your EGR cooler.

12ME, EPP + SW7-Tim3-Tq2 + 21mpg and 45K miles.

· Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the Mp8 with the Smarty unless your towing heavy with big tunes.

Just dont delete your EGR cooler.

12ME, EPP + SW7-Tim3-Tq2 + 21mpg and 45K miles.

What happens when you delete the EGR Cooler???

· Registered
2,781 Posts
What happens when you delete the EGR Cooler???
Prone to blowing a head gasket. The drive pressure has no where to go. with the cooler intact, but unplugged, the drive pressure can force the egr open to relieve some pressure. I think this was happening more often with the first version of smarty timing. I think they re- adjusted software to reduce the chance of this happening. also running big tunes and towing heavy and also a heavy right foot.

· Registered
2,024 Posts
I think it had more to do with the timing than the EGR cooler. There's no way we can prove either case, since Smarty is silent on the tuning changes, and people have blown an HG with and without the cooler.

But like I said before, the coolers are prone to cracking/leaking. That's a fact. Which is why I deleted mine. Plus, in regards to performance, I don't see the point in having exhaust gases go into a rectangular case and swirl around . . . when I can just have it go through the manifold and out the downpipe.

· Registered
2,024 Posts
And if I remember right, that whole argument was about a fully functional EGR system. Which, I could believe more than just the cooler argument. Blocking the cooler still traps the exhaust gases in a defined space. Whereas with the EGR functional, it can go back into the motor.

· Premium Member
1,887 Posts
And if I remember right, that whole argument was about a fully functional EGR system. Which, I could believe more than just the cooler argument. Blocking the cooler still traps the exhaust gases in a defined space. Whereas with the EGR functional, it can go back into the motor.
If the EGR valve was blocked on the intake, then the full volume of the EGR system was available for exhaust gas expansion. Probably about equivalent to the manifold thereby reducing pulses. If the crossover tube was blocked then you had just the cooler volume. Probably half manifold volume so still some damping of pulses. Totally removed you only have the manifold volume so pressure pulses will be higher. Remove the EGR crap and put on a waste gate. Problem solved and parasitic losses gone.

· Registered
2,024 Posts
If the EGR valve was blocked on the intake, then the full volume of the EGR system was available for exhaust gas expansion. Probably about equivalent to the manifold thereby reducing pulses. If the crossover tube was blocked then you had just the cooler volume. Probably half manifold volume so still some damping of pulses. Totally removed you only have the manifold volume so pressure pulses will be higher. Remove the EGR crap and put on a waste gate. Problem solved and parasitic losses gone.
I agree, put a EWG on and forget about it.

I just don't buy the "leaving the EGR cooler on save's headgaskets" argument.

· Registered
1,244 Posts
Prone to blowing a head gasket. The drive pressure has no where to go. with the cooler intact, but unplugged, the drive pressure can force the egr open to relieve some pressure. I think this was happening more often with the first version of smarty timing. I think they re- adjusted software to reduce the chance of this happening. also running big tunes and towing heavy and also a heavy right foot.
Just using this post as an example....

does anyone know at what pressure the valve will "force" open..... My valve and tube is 400 miles away from me right now or I would test this theory right now.

If anyone else feels compelled to test this, get it on!! I wanna see a factual "yes, it's opening at xxPSI"

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
whats 19m3???
egr is gone...i was planning on setting the edge to 0 and use for gauges only...and running the mp-8 and smarty

· Registered
45 Posts
19ME (middle east) is the latest tune from Mads. you can check out there web site and down load it or some vendors on will preload the smarty for you when you buy it. as for the Middle East edition, it will turn off the emission equipment so you wont have CEL on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.