Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

6.7 VGTurbo on a 5.9?

1800 Views 20 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  JTS05Cummins
This may sound stupid but I was thinking about putting a 6.7 vgt turbo on my 05' 5.9. The reason is I love the sound of these turbo's and I heard they spool faster. My stocker is starting to get some shaft play also. Has anyone does this and how hard is it to do? Is there anyway of keeping the electronic waste gate? And will plugging the coolant ports be harmful because I've seen guys do it on youtube and it seems like it would have been made that way for a reason. So help me out guys!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks...........:thumbsup:
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
602 Posts
from what iv read you need a stand alone comp to keep all the electronics. Fleece performance has one in the making i think judging from there videos on youtube.

· Registered
317 Posts
I have one on my 04. Just using a WG actuator to open and close it. I haven't had time to make the exhast brake work yet.
I have a turbo perhaps on Monday and going to put it in my 5.9. ASAP
I have order a 6.7 manifold and a 5.9 wg acutator.
Do you have some pics on your solution.
Was it hard to adjust the acutator to the turbo?

· Registered
4,004 Posts
why would you want to do that, go through all that trouble to put on another stock turbo that blows hot air, it might be better then the stocker on a 5.9, but with all the great aftermarket turbo's out there, you would be foolish to do so...so many better options...

· Premium Member
813 Posts
why would you want to do that, go through all that trouble to put on another stock turbo that blows hot air, it might be better then the stocker on a 5.9, but with all the great aftermarket turbo's out there, you would be foolish to do so...so many better options...
Some of us don't have $1500 sitting around for someones version of a s300. Which are great. I've had a few. But I'm broke as can be and @$300 to $500 building something that spools as fast and not as hot on egts. It's worth my while. I may go bigger like a 451 vgt once I can get my hands on one. So don't be a hater.

· Registered
1,431 Posts
i like mine for a daily driver, low-mid power turbo. it spools up quick and flows great due to the variable housing. however, after trying it and my ultimate HP/spool up goals, i would like to ditch it for a 62/65 and s400 twins set up when that time comes. i'm now figuring our that the VGT twins wouldn't be worth it as much is i had hoped.

honestly, an 04.5-07 stocker would be better suited and easier to install.. the only problem is the drive pressure when you try to push the he351 in a twins set beyond 550,600hp (you start creating heat too).

too install an he351ve on an 05 truck isn't much of an improvement in my opinion

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have one on my 04. Just using a WG actuator to open and close it. I haven't had time to make the exhast brake work yet.
What did you do for the flange? Does the 6.7 manifold bolt up to a 5.9 head?:thumbsup:

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i like mine for a daily driver, low-mid power turbo. it spools up quick and flows great due to the variable housing. however, after trying it and my ultimate HP/spool up goals, i would like to ditch it for a 62/65 and s400 twins set up when that time comes. i'm now figuring our that the VGT twins wouldn't be worth it as much is i had hoped.

honestly, an 04.5-07 stocker would be better suited and easier to install.. the only problem is the drive pressure when you try to push the he351 in a twins set beyond 550,600hp (you start creating heat too).

too install an he351ve on an 05 truck isn't much of an improvement in my opinion
Yeah, not really looking for big improvements. No one around here has put a VGT on a 5.9 and I'd like to try it. I like the way they sound and a little faster spool is a plus! Like others I dont have a thousand $ to put a aftermarket turbo of my truck! And I can pick one of these up for around $400. Thanks for the replies though guys..........

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So basically its not that hard to set it up with a manual wastegate? What is involved in this process? Did anyone have to hook coolant lines to it or did you plug the holes off?

· Premium Member
813 Posts
What did you do for the flange? Does the 6.7 manifold bolt up to a 5.9 head?:thumbsup:
I took the exhast foot of the VGT and welded up the 3 of the holes and redrilled for the t3 foot on my stock exhast manifold. on the 4th hold I welded a stud to mount in the back, its a mother to put a nut on it but it works for me. I wish I had a 6.7 manifold to go off of it would have been easier and I think it does bolt right up.

· Registered
1,431 Posts
Yeah, not really looking for big improvements. No one around here has put a VGT on a 5.9 and I'd like to try it. I like the way they sound and a little faster spool is a plus! Like others I dont have a thousand $ to put a aftermarket turbo of my truck! And I can pick one of these up for around $400. Thanks for the replies though guys..........
sound wise...they don't sound like a 6.0. they don't whistle out of the exhaust much. and faster spool up comes at the expense of more backpressure/lower fuel mileage. the only time they whistle really really loud like you see in the videos is when they're in "exhaust brake" mode..but you can't drive it around like that...can't even get above 1100rpms (i tried). all i'm saying is that it's NOT an improvement over your stocker..maybe a little less drive pressure on the top and, maybe a little quicker spool up. the exhaust will also be quiet.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sound wise...they don't sound like a 6.0. they don't whistle out of the exhaust much. and faster spool up comes at the expense of more backpressure/lower fuel mileage. the only time they whistle really really loud like you see in the videos is when they're in "exhaust brake" mode..but you can't drive it around like that...can't even get above 1100rpms (i tried). all i'm saying is that it's NOT an improvement over your stocker..maybe a little less drive pressure on the top and, maybe a little quicker spool up. the exhaust will also be quiet.
So I have a 4" straight back off the turbo. And your saying you wont be able to hear the turbo any different? Only when the exhaust brake is engaged!:confused013:

· Registered
317 Posts
In which position did you set the vanes at idle?

· Registered
622 Posts
I heard recently that Brown's put a stage 3 Garrett on a 6.7. I had to call Erick to find out if it spooled OK and he said the customer really likes it. So if they do more then maybe they will have some VG stockers to sell. You would think a VGT would work good on a 5.9 if the thing could be set up right.

· Registered
1,431 Posts
In which position did you set the vanes at idle?
approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of the way open. i can adjust how far it opens up and also how "small" it starts off as. i don't use the "exhaust brake" portion of the turbo as the transmission is still stock. the "exhaust brake" is merely closing the collar/housing down to 3cm. i'm guessing it's set at around 10.

now, i can get a little bit quicker spool up if i close the turbo to around, and i'm guessing here, 7 or 8 cm on the housing. however, it puts a constant load on the engine. it makes the truck run hotter.. plus the sound coming out of the engine with the backpressure on it kinda rings through my ears.

JTS05Cummins, it's a different sound. you will hear a slight whistle out of the exhaust, but nothing like a garret turbo will make. two other notes though...straight piped mine is as loud as a 4" muffled system, and drone is waaaaaay less than a standard turbo. there is no drone when the turbo is closed up. there's some with the turbo opened up (plus it's louder), but nothing like a standard turbo.

turborep, yes they work, and work well once set up. but they are not an improvement over an he351cw. maybe a little better spool up, maybe a little less drive pressure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.