Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O7.5, 6.7, 6 Spd Auto, Just rolled over 10,000 miles. Mods include an AFE CAF, and an MP-8. 3rd oil change.

When I shut the truck down I hear the turbo spooling down. But in a few cases I heard it growling when it spooled down. And it seemed to spool down real fast. Seems to come and go. I never heard any noises with it running.

Anybody else heard that?

I know what it is. . .I am kinda hoping it isn't :CRY:

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
that doesnt sound good. I cant say i have heard it. Hopefully you can get it to pop a code and have it replaced. If not clean it out really good and get that stupid EGR off of it ASAP.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Cowboy, it doesn't.

I haven't been driving it on the highway very much the last 4 months. Mostly because of the fuel mileage. My Polara has been laid up at the upholstery shop.

It started about a week after I installed the MP8 and the AFE. I'm wondering if it needs to be cleaned. Maybe it's tossing pieces of carbon after I shut it off. ???

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine does the same thing and I don't have any mods other than input air (so far). I've always thought that it was in regen when I shut it down. Doesn't happen all the time.

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,245 Posts
i would take the intake off, and wiggle the shaft if the bearings are going bad, and causing wobble, it could be the turbine, rubbing against the housing, and stopping it, and that deffinatley would not be good... :thud:

·
Registered
70 Posts
But wouldn't that mean that it would happen each time you shut it down?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would take the intake off, and wiggle the shaft if the bearings are going bad, and causing wobble, it could be the turbine, rubbing against the housing, and stopping it, and that deffinatley would not be good... :thud:

When I put the AFE on, I checked it then just to be sure. It has maybe .001 end play and nothing on the intake side. I spun it by hand just for the heck of it and it seemed fine. But then again, I can't spin it to 20,000 RPM either!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Here's my idea. Is it the engine fan? I have heard this when I shut mine down also. Since it's been warmer outside i have noticed the fan clutch being engaged, especially when the A/C is on. When the clutch is engaged and you shut down the motor the clutch disengages allowing the fan to free spin till it stops. This is what I thought the noise was. Maybe more will give their input also.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No It's been cool here. It's definitely the turbo. It's spinning pretty fast. I can tell by the pitches.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,459 Posts
Could it be something to do with the exhaust brake?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dunno. . .The speculation is the turbin fins on the exhaust side may be carboned up and she's spitting chunks out. I need to take that darned EGR off.

·
Banned
706 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts