Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question but i quess thats how you learn. But can someone explain the difference between the turbo on the 07 5.9 and the turbo on the 07.5 6.7??? Besides a thousand plus????
I run a 07.5 6.7 everything deleted and im gonna need to replace the turbo real soon as i have some side to side movement quessing the bearing?? No rub on the side walls yet.
But shouldnt there be a way to use a turbo from a 5.9???

·
All Stock
244 Posts
2nd gen swap is common place. There are drop in turbos that fit right in the place of the 6.7 turbo that will make way more power than a 5.9 turbo. Look into a drop in turbo for a 6 7 to run the cheapest. Tuning will be a big benefit to gaining said power. You will loose the exhaust break but will Get more smiles per gallon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: krs

·
1,026 Posts
Iron Horn Kit from BD is awesome. I put the 64.5mm Super B on my 07.5 6.7. I currently have a 61mm Killer B on my 5.9. On my 6.7 it woke that beast right up and out performed the vgt in every way. I also installed the remote mount exhaust brake. With the insane prices of garbage rebuilt vgts the iron horn kit with the exhaust brake is similar in price. Best part is you do away with that actuator. Backpressure issues of the vgt are forgotten.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Iron Horn Kit from BD is awesome. I put the 64.5mm Super B on my 07.5 6.7. I currently have a 61mm Killer B on my 5.9. On my 6.7 it woke that beast right up and out performed the vgt in every way. I also installed the remote mount exhaust brake. With the insane prices of garbage rebuilt vgts the iron horn kit with the exhaust brake is similar in price. Best part is you do away with that actuator. Backpressure issues of the vgt are forgotten.
on my to-do list.. when my VGT goes poop. Or whenever I get bored and have $3k laying around. I toyed with the ideaa of doing it soon and selling my perfectly good 100k VGT (deleted for 50).

·
Mike @ Dude's Diesel Performance
2013 Ram 2500 CCLB - A long list of extras
565 Posts
This may be a dumb question but i quess thats how you learn. But can someone explain the difference between the turbo on the 07 5.9 and the turbo on the 07.5 6.7??? Besides a thousand plus????
I run a 07.5 6.7 everything deleted and im gonna need to replace the turbo real soon as i have some side to side movement quessing the bearing?? No rub on the side walls yet.
But shouldnt there be a way to use a turbo from a 5.9???
Not a dumb question- The 6.7 turbos is VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo) which means the vanes inside move with an actuator based on throttle position. The extra electronics make these more expensive and more prone to fail.

You can make a 5.9 fixed blade work with tuning to erase the electronics associated with the OEM turbo. If you don't the truck will try to communicate with the turbo and not get a response causing a CEL.

For a fixed blade the 5.9 is actually undersized. For relatively cheap you can get the BD kits recommend above (less than $2k for manifold, turbo, gaskets, plugs, etc).

I run the 364.5/80/.91 T4 on my 2013 and it is a great single for daily driving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a dumb question- The 6.7 turbos is VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo) which means the vanes inside move with an actuator based on throttle position. The extra electronics make these more expensive and more prone to fail.

You can make a 5.9 fixed blade work with tuning to erase the electronics associated with the OEM turbo. If you don't the truck will try to communicate with the turbo and not get a response causing a CEL.

For a fixed blade the 5.9 is actually undersized. For relatively cheap you can get the BD kits recommend above (less than $2k for manifold, turbo, gaskets, plugs, etc).

I run the 364.5/80/.91 T4 on my 2013 and it is a great single for daily driving.
Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I'm running a S366 from Smeding Diesel and it was only $1,600 and well worth it for the whole kit including the header , turbo and hoses and coolant plugs. It comes with everything needed .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts