Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I think that this is a 6.7)When I was down getting my last flash, I saw a Cummins sitting there on a crate. It was in the stall next to where my truck was being worked on. I didn't ask any questions, but could see that it had thrown #6 rod. It punched through the side of the engine block. In the past, with other motors, this happened after high RPM's. I am not sure of the oiling sequence on a Cummins, so I don't know if this was the last journal to be oiled. Oil pressure or high RPM's, I don't know.

I wanted to share this pic because the truck looked new, it had a flatbed, but don't know if it is a C&C.

Hopefully I will be able to post the pic. If not, email me and I will send it to you, if you are curious. Maybe some body else can post after an email.

Please share your thoughts.......
Thanks...
-Rhyno

1.jpg

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Pics not working. I would like to see.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sent the pic to Dale K. Thanks for your help Dale!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also sent pics to Compcowboy. Thanks Compcowboy!

·
Registered
86 Posts
#6 is the last to get oil, most likley cause was engine lost oil and spun the bearing, seen it happen lots of times on dusted engines when customers dont watch there oil level...

·
Registered
647 Posts
O man!!! that is bad news right there

·
Registered
647 Posts
Ya there has got to be a good story behind this one

·
Registered
190 Posts
Bad news. What happens after that?

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,021 Posts
Thats not tooo bad. I have a Cat 3406 that threw #6 and I can fit my head through the hole it made in the block. It even twisted the rod 90 degrees!!!!!!!!!!! The piston well lets just say I can see the top compression ring.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How can you tell a 5.9 from a 6.7? It looks kind of old to be a 2007 motor.
The body style and headlights matched mine. If the truck next to it was the original owner. I really don't know, but where the injector pump mounts on this motor is similar to the way mine mounts. I am sure that somebody will be able to match casting numbers or something else that will be able to tell what it is.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Anyone remember the post a few months back where someone found 2 6.7s with tossed rods at the same dealership? I think someone on here called the dealership and confirmed it.

Hopefully this isn't a trend we're seeing.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I can't tell by looking at it, As for the injector pump mount's, they are the same as the 5.9, it uses the same stuff (or at least very, very similar) to that of a 6.7l. It doesn't really matter to me. I sold a 91 W250 with over 300k to buy my 6.7 and I trust Cummins engineering (not the emissions dept.) Frankly, I hate dodges (that was harsh, there growing on me,) I wanted a Chevy but I couldn't talk myself out of a Cummins (Duramax sounds like a brand of tampon.) I'm glad too; I can smoke any Duramax around. As for the rod, yeah I'd agree somebody probably smoked it by not paying attention. Once you get rid of the emissions crud, these things are Awesome. :rant:

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
The body style and headlights matched mine. If the truck next to it was the original owner. I really don't know, but where the injector pump mounts on this motor is similar to the way mine mounts. I am sure that somebody will be able to match casting numbers or something else that will be able to tell what it is.
07 5.9 trucks and 07.5 6.7 trucks look identicle other than the overhead is different.

·
Registered
721 Posts
:drool::agree2:

·
Registered
667 Posts
I may be way wrong but I think its a 5.9 and not a 6.7. The back side of my front cover looks different than that one. Also the intake cover that mounts to the head under the intake horn looks different than mine. Mine has tabs that stick out past (on the intake plate)the head for the rail to mount too. Just my .02

1 - 20 of 30 Posts