Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, writing from Australia. I have a 6.7 that is now running very rough to the point it almost stalls when idling and blowing alot of white smoke. It has been running fine till now. It has 30,000km.
DPF and EGR delete by H&S. No DTC's are coming up on the black maxx. I havent used it for the last few months, so not sure whether the sitting around has anything to do with it.

any help would be appreciated.

2008 QC 3500 Laramie, Carli Suspension, H&S DPF & EGR delete.

·
Wastin Money...
339 Posts
Definitely doesnt sound good, maybe blown head gasket or worse.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi guys, writing from Australia. I have a 6.7 that is now running very rough to the point it almost stalls when idling and blowing alot of white smoke. It has been running fine till now. It has 30,000km.
DPF and EGR delete by H&S. No DTC's are coming up on the black maxx. I havent used it for the last few months, so not sure whether the sitting around has anything to do with it.

Is there any fuel smell to it like it's running rich or something like that also does it do it on startup only or all the time if it does it just on startup I'd say change your fuel filter and just let it go for a bit to see if it clears up if it's doin it alot more then I would take it to have an injector kill test done to make sure you don't have a bad injector

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant see the issue being anything major, considering it was running fine
I tend to be leaning towards a dead injector or perhaps an injector that is stuck open dumping a heap of fuel into the cylinder. Fuel filter was replaced and made no difference.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Do you have any way to test the injectors like a scanner or something

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had a scan done and there are no DTC's. I will have to have it send to a diesel mechanic to check the injectors...

·
Registered
616 Posts
You can test them yourself if you have an old injector line you can make a cap and cap the lines and see which one is bad or u can do it the easy way and have them check it lol

·
Registered
616 Posts
Sometimes they will go ahead and try to regen even with the emissions turned off some say it's not possible but I've seen it twice on separate trucks

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Yeah white smoke is an indicator of too much fuel or water. Cracked injector or regen are the most likely culprits. Other possibility is a HG.

If the smoke smells sweet like antifreeze look at the HG.

If it stinks almost like something electrical look at the fuel.

If you reload it with the h&s it should clear it up if its a regen issue.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts

White smoke is generally an indicator of failed head gasket.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
One other possibility if its been setting is the injectors may be loose. I think they torque to about 8psi. If they are loose and it sets it will let fuel leak down into the cylinders and make a bunch of white smoke. It should clear up after a few minutes but it will idle rough.

You have to take out half of the rocker arms on the tops of the valves to torque them. Unlike the older ones the inside is not pre-set on the 6.7.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts