Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
I have a diesel problem..
2,299 Posts
Agreed. You were looking for what, 600? ish HP?. A S464 would do perfect and will spool like stock. Well at least on a common rail engine. It will be interesting to see how a ppumped 6.7 will spool. One would think you should see much if any difference.

·
2,299 Posts
The reason people dont like twins on a stock 6.7 bottom end is you see a lot (well i shouldnt say alot, but enough) windowed blocks. The 6.7 has such a shorter stroke than the 5.9 does, then you add alot of power on the bottom of the rpm range...no bueno.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The reason people dont like twins on a stock 6.7 bottom end is you see a lot (well i shouldnt say alot, but enough) windowed blocks. The 6.7 has such a shorter stroke than the 5.9 does, then you add alot of power on the bottom of the rpm range...no bueno.
I’m offended… Don’t call my rod short! :rof

·
2,299 Posts
Its not the size that matters, its the motion of the ocean...LOL

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
6.7 has longer stroke which increases the displacement :confused013:
5.9 is 4.02 x 4.72
6.7 is 4.21 x 4.88
and I think the rods are the same length and the stroke was changed via crank? just the stock 6.7 rods are powdered metal instead of forged? so increased stroke + more air + powder rods = increased cylinder pressure which turns to wrecked rods and windowed blocks?:confused013:

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
^^^Correct, the 6.7 cranks and pistons are where the increased stroke come from, the rods are the same.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I think it was just a typo. I knew what he ment. I couldn't resist joking about it.

always good to joke, just reading through this morning while trying to get work done at my desk threw me through a loop. and saves from confusing any new guys that may be following along.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2,299 Posts
Thats what i meant. I was kind of confused why chigger said something about rods but i had to play along.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Here is a picture of the harmonic balancer bolts. I searched all over to get longer bolts but couldn’t find any. I can get longer bolts if I go with a lower grade bolt but don’t want to go there. I went ahead and purchased some ARB bolts. They are the same length as stock. I opted not to use the supplied washer or the stock plate that goes between the bolts and balancer. I did this to attempt to make up some bolt length that I lost for using the spacer behind the balancer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I needed a way to drive my gear type fuel pump. I also needed a pulley to replace the original power steering pump. If I didn’t have a pulley where the power steering pump went, there would not be enough belt engagement for the fan pulley and the fan would slip. So I decided to kill two birds with one stone. The following several posts will show how I added the mechanical fuel pump.

To start with, I needed some sort of bearing housing to support a pulley and belt. The perfect option was a water pump because it already has bearings and a way to mount it. The one I picked is very cheap ($28 new on eBay) for a Ford pickup 2000-2010 5.4L.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
The pump I used was from a military M35A2 truck. I can get these pumps dirt cheap. It is designed to run at a 1 to 1 ratio with the engine. Because of that, I needed to use a pulley that was the same size as my crank pulley. It was very difficult to find a pulley that fit the bill. What I found was a new takeoff pulley from a semi-truck ($69 on eBay). The pulley is from a Cummins ISM M11 engine. The pulley was just slightly smaller than my crank pulley. This will overdrive my fuel pump, but only by a tiny amount.

My next step was to pull the drive hub and impeller off the pump and machine the drive hub to fit the M11 pulley.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Ideally, the pump will be facing forward, but the direction I need the pump to turn requires the pump to face rearward. I looked into reversing the flow of the pump, but it is impossible. This makes for a difficult bracket design for the pulley. This is the first part of the fab process for the pulley bracket.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
These are pictures of the bracket welded and test fitted. By the way, the pulley location was driven by the fan. I needed the pump to be out of the way of the fan. I also needed to go with the next size belt which happens to be about 6 inches extra in length. The belt came from a Ford 6.0 diesel.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 93 Posts