Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my 6.7 (2007 3500 quad cab dually, 2wd auto)

But the other half wants a vehicle.
Im thinking used.

I have ruled out dodges as she wants a single axle and I don't like the looks of a dodge single axle.

So that leaves me with a chev/gmc or a ford.

I would like to stay later then 2005.

What years for each make were the most significant updates applied to the drive train. i.e. a small time line.

any other advice is of course apprectiated.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
going with a gasser correct? If so I personally like the Chevy/GMC they have really nice interior and they make a good truck... my buddy has a 07 and my other buddy has a 06 and they are both getting around 15 to 16 hwy and 12 to 13 hwy... they both have 4door short bed z71... hope that helps

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
diesel.

Single axel auto

I like both the Chevy's and fords im just trying to differentiate between my options

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I would go with the Chevy.... I have buddies with the 6.4s that seem to be having significant problems even with daily driving or minimum towing... just my experience and have heard really good things about the Duramax's as long as you dont get into the motor alot they do good... and they are strong running trucks... as far as fuel mileage goes i dunno?????? I really like the interior of the ford King ranch but thats the only interior of their's i like, they Chevy/GMC interior is really nice...

·
Registered
152 Posts
You can probably pick up a Ford 6.0 pretty cheap. If it is stock and will only be used for running around or light towing you'll be OK. If it has been modded or if you want to mod it or tow heavy, stay away from the 6.0's.

I know from personal experience that the 6.0 will not hold up under those conditions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I am leaning towards the Chev/GMC side of things.

but I like the exterior looks of the fords better.

at any rate when were the significant updates to each make of truck.

i.e. I hear alot about lly duramax's vs other generations.

In other words what year would be a good year for a chevy/gmc or a ford?

·
Registered
993 Posts
03 they started the 6.0 in ford there are a few 03's with the 7.3 too. 08 has the 6.4 twin turbo. Dont know about the GM trucks.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If I were you I would get the chevy. You will get the best fuel mileage with the duramax, and you get the allison tranny. The inferior front suspension is not my first choice, but chevy has been using it for the past 20 years, and unless you're a hard core 4 wheeler you won't have any trouble. The interior is great in the chevy/gmc's, and you have your choice of cab sizes as well. extended cab or crew cab. The extended cab versions are more roomy than the dodge and the ford extended cab. The ride of the chevy/gmc is far better than ford also. I would stay away from the 6.0no ford. My dad's work truck is one of those and with 130000 miles they have replaced egr cooler twice and head gaskets once. I know each truck is different but the ford's list of problems is all too common. So if I were you I would stick with what has worked the best over the years and get another dodge.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
03 they started the 6.0 in ford there are a few 03's with the 7.3 too. 08 has the 6.4 twin turbo. Dont know about the GM trucks.
yeah I know that.

But with the GM trucks seems like there have been a few changes in the Duramax from its inception so I would like to know which version in the best.

For instance I had a 99 SS camaro with the LS1 in it. From 98 to 2002 there were various tweaks and modifcations to the engine etc. For instace 99 was a good year for stock versions because they had the best flowing cats of all the years.
2000 had more restrictive cats w/o tuning to compensate and 2001 had a little mroe aggressive tuning to compensate for the cats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts