Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am looking at getting a new truck here in the next couple of months:hyper:, i am looking around and cant decide between a late 5.9 (06-07) or a new 6.7? i wanted some opinoins? i will be doing engine and tranny mods i am also going to lift the truck. i have a 12v now and love the smoke, will a 6.7 smoke? well any way i just wanted to know some pros and cons between the two and which you think would be better?
thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
That's a tough call. Some have had good luck with the 6.7, and some have not. But the 5.9 is proven. Good Luck with your choice. :thumbsup

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you think my best bet is going with a o6 or early 07? am going to do alot of mods and dont really want to have to deal with the dpf and egr stuff?

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
The 06 or early 07 would be fine. I guess it would really depend on which one you could find with what you want.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I have a 6.7 that I am pretty happy with, but if you plan on doing big mods early on, I would go with a 5.9. Other than the emissions stuff and the displacement, I don't think there are major differences in the quality of the motor's hard parts, like block, rotating assemply, and cylinder head. I could be wrong on that though. If there are any differences, I would guess that the 5.9 might have a little better rotating assembly but I am not sure. Either way, I think eventually the aftermarket will solve any problems with modifying the 6.7, and it will be the motor of choice simply because of the displacement. That may take a while though, and that is just my opinion. Again, if big mods are your plan early on, I would get a 5.9. Sorry for the long answer to your short question.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks i think i am going to go with the 5.9 simple because i will be doing the mods early on and simple because it has been proven as said above.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I wouldnt rule out a 2005 if you come across something that catches your eye, the interior imho is nicer looking.

Note: not all but a majority of 2005's have plastic end caps on the i/c. id stay away from those, especially when modding

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what would you stay away from the 05's or the i/c? what is the i/c and y stay way from them when modding?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
he's talking about the plastic Intercooler(end caps) stay far away..........:peelout

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
No problems to date with my 6.7, I am yanking off the DPF and EGR stuff within the next month or so, then the Edge goes on!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I kicked around this question for a few months. I settled on the 5.9 and I'm glad I did. It's proven, mods are easy, no emissions garbage, etc. etc. I still like the 6.7 but I'm glad I got a 5.9. There are many out there, I'm sure you can find EXACTLY what you want if you look hard enough. :thumbsup

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i have been looking around im looking for somthing thats stock and has low mileage. there not to hard to find im just waiting it out for the right one to come by. thanks to everyones comments and suggestions thanks alot!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts