Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 67,000 miles your supposed to replace the ccv filter which took place of the pcv filter on the 5.9s. Its a 23 dollar special order part and only takes 20 minutes to replace. Dealer is supposed to do a Free EGR cleaning also. I got 65k miles on my truck and i started spewing oil bad from breather area and oil fill cap.

Also, i got an air leak coming from egr cooler area. If I were to get the EGR block offs, would that stop my air leak if it was from that area??

·
Registered
479 Posts
Is the EGR cleaning free? I looked at an owner's manual and it was only free in certain states, CA, MA and a few others.

·
Banned
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the EGR cleaning free? I looked at an owner's manual and it was only free in certain states, CA, MA and a few others.
I was reading from the manual but i didnt see the state part. If thats what it says, dealer told me it was 149 bucks for cleaning. I did everything myself though.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
At 67,000 miles your supposed to replace the ccv filter which took place of the pcv filter on the 5.9s. Its a 23 dollar special order part and only takes 20 minutes to replace. Dealer is supposed to do a Free EGR cleaning also. I got 65k miles on my truck and i started spewing oil bad from breather area and oil fill cap.

Also, i got an air leak coming from egr cooler area. If I were to get the EGR block offs, would that stop my air leak if it was from that area??
It depends on where the leak is. There is a thread here that they deleted the EGR cooler and that would take care of it for sure.:beer

·
Registered
146 Posts
67,000 miles :confused: how do you get so much so quick?
i only got 114,000.

·
Registered
597 Posts
i only got 114,000.
It's not too hard if you use it every single day. I've got 44,000 since last June. This particular job site is 100 miles round trip, 6 days a week. And 75 miles of that is on this crappy dirt road. I'll probably be trading to an 09 by this time next year.
:thumbsup

·
Registered
80 Posts
i only got 114,000.
oh yeah, well my brother has 110,000 on his and his is a 95 second gen. I guess that does not count SORRY:T: :rof

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts

Once we get the cooler delete figured out, it should clear up that air leak, but you cant do the EGR delete with the DPF still on there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
neidhogg - - I may just have to steal your idea. Best looking set of truck nuts yet ! LOL

·
Banned
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once we get the cooler delete figured out, it should clear up that air leak, but you cant do the EGR delete with the DPF still on there.

Hey now, i got a smart exhaust too u know!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup

Alot smarter then the DC design:lol3:

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
I couldnt remember what you had, what do you have for exhaust?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
i only got 114,000.
129,000 miles in 8 months. She is a workhorse. I've been one of the lucky few. Haven't had a single problem with the truck

·
Banned
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Here ya go guys on the resetting of this...

Perform Service Indicator
Your vehicle will require emissions maintenance at a set interval. To help remind you when this maintenance is due, the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) will display “Perform Service”. When the “Perform Service” message is displayed on the EVIC it is necessary to have the emissions maintenance performed. Emissions maintenance includes replacing the Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) filter element, cleaning or replacement of the EGR Cooler, and cleaning or replacement of the EGR Valve.

See your local authorized dealer to have the “Perform Service” message cleared and reset.

PERFORM SERVICE INDICATOR - RESET
Unless reset the “Perform Service” message will display on the EVIC each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position to indicate a emission maintenance is required. To reset the “Perform Service” indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following procedure:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start engine).
2. Press and release the brake pedal two times.
3. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly two times within 10 seconds.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illumination when you start the vehicle, the “Perform Service” indicator did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Here ya go guys on the resetting of this...

Perform Service Indicator
Your vehicle will require emissions maintenance at a set interval. To help remind you when this maintenance is due, the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) will display “Perform Service”. When the “Perform Service” message is displayed on the EVIC it is necessary to have the emissions maintenance performed. Emissions maintenance includes replacing the Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) filter element, cleaning or replacement of the EGR Cooler, and cleaning or replacement of the EGR Valve.

See your local authorized dealer to have the “Perform Service” message cleared and reset.

PERFORM SERVICE INDICATOR - RESET
Unless reset the “Perform Service” message will display on the EVIC each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position to indicate a emission maintenance is required. To reset the “Perform Service” indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following procedure:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start engine).
2. Press and release the brake pedal two times.
3. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly two times within 10 seconds.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illumination when you start the vehicle, the “Perform Service” indicator did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure
Problem with that is when that stupid light comes on you can't reset it like the "oil change required". The dealership has to flash the computer and they charge 1/2 hour to do the. So basically it will cost you $50 to have them do that. I suggest changing the CCV filter @ 50 or 55k miles. Mine came on @ 58K. I MADE the dealership erase it for FREE but they typically charge for it. Kinda BS if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Not so dude, mine came on at 68K if I remember right and I did steps above 1-4 and it clears this all up till next time. Then just write this down in the back of the owners manual in the blank pages for when its time again...

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Not so dude, mine came on at 68K if I remember right and I did steps above 1-4 and it clears this all up till next time. Then just write this down in the back of the owners manual in the blank pages for when its time again...
Where did you find those steps? In the manual? I looked everywhere but if it is in there then I guess I didn't look everywhere. I eve called 3 dealerships in Phoenix and asked them and of course the answer was "Gee, I don't know." I know the oil change is the gas pedal 5x but couldn't find anything on the "Perform Service" If in manual which page. Thanks. Jeremiah

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
It is in the manual and its under the scheduled Maintance and then roll it down and you will see it... The oil change is 3 times on the gas pedal I thought.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts