Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a 2008 dodge ram 2500 mega cab with the cummins 6.7.
i have had the turbo cleaned out two times all under 30k miles.
i have 66k miles on it now.
while driving home from work two days ago i started losing power.
i thot i was imagining it. i pressed the excellerator more and felt like it got better.
it didnt. i eventually lost nearly all power over the course of 3-4 minutes. i could go no faster than 10mph.
i limped it off the interstate. the check engine light came on.
the truck then stalled.
i have followed the recommended fuel filter change intervals religiously.
i took my truck to the dodge dealer. had to be towed.
the mechanic there called me and said they were not doing anymore work until they found out from me if i had chipped my engine or modifiied my exhaust and said they needed to know that to determine what was wrong with the truck.
i thought there software could detect those things.
i have never chipped my truck or modified anything on it.
he then said that a flash was needed on the truck and that it could possibly fix the problem...i found that odd that a flash would bring it back to life. he then said he would not charge me for it like he was doing me a favor.
what could be the problem with the truck?
and cant the software program detect if my truck had been chipped without my acknowledging it?

·
Registered
113 Posts
sounds like your dealer is looking for a way to screw you out of warranty! why won't they just look at it and make a determination? too stupid or lazy? i'd be wary of those guys.
seems odd the cel didn't come on before it did.

·
Registered
113 Posts
if the dpf was plugged, should have gotten a cel before it lost power and died! before i deleted, we had some -45 to -50 weather and mine plugged up enough to reduce power and give a cel, but it never died.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yeah if it were the dpf it would have smoked quite a bit and told him regeneration required on the overhead way before it went into limp mode let alone the part of it dying I'm kinda with inthenorth on this one sounds like they were trying to screw you out of your warranty and yes if your truck had ever been tampered with in any way shape or form they would have known it they can practically tell you it's life story off of they're scanners they use they can see how many regens it has done it Can see if it has had a programer on it unless it's a smarty or one of those that leave a thumbprint in the ECM but I would want to be there with them when they run the scan on it to see if it actually tells them it needs a new flash just to make sure

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DPF and PCM Failures

Well, they diagnosed it with a plugged DPF and my PCM (i think this is the primary computer module) was shot...what causes the PCM to go bad simultaneously?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think the computer probably went first and as a result it didn't regen when it should have.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had the same problem and it was a bad dpf. The pcm replacement reminds me of my 06 when the truck was just dieing while driving, electrical issue. I was 2500 miles from home so I looked up a local dealer, pulled in, diagnosed and he said. "bad ecm" and about a week to get. I told him just to charge the batteries and I would limp it to my daughters, about another 200 miles. When I got there I had the same issue and went to that dealer, they found a bad battery and all fixed. Gotta love these 5 star quality mechanics.What a shame we are at there mercy under warranty.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My new 2010 just did this with only 2610 miles on the odometer. Acted like a plugged fuel filter, especially with it getting worse in a short amount of time. Eventually it died and wouldn't restart. I put a new Mopar fuel filter in and still no luck restarting. It got towed to a dealer. It will be 3 days before they can look at it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had something similar happen to mine at 80,000. The truck started but didn't have enough power to move itself and would barely idle. The dealership reprogrammed the PCM under the 100,000 mile warranty. No hard parts were replaced. I now have 120,000 and no issues since the reprogramming.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.