Cummins Diesel Forum banner

6.7 l Promblem went to dealer $5,300 repair qoute

4K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  DenverDodgeDealer 
#1 ·
I just got a phone call from the dealer and it wasn't good. I have a 2007 Dodge 3500 6.7L. it has no warranty because it was salvage and it only has 18,000 miles. What happen was the calalyst was full and said service required, i had a check engine light on. it was smoking black. and it was runing slow. I have a pmt and had 7 codes that most of them were unkown. the dealership said it needs a fuel rail, DPF Filter, ECM update, 02 sensor Kit, Egr system clean out, and a differential clean out.Can i replace or do this myself? i'm not going to be able to pay $5,300. Where can i start buy these parts . this sucks:doh:

#2 · (Edited)
The DPF filter is going to cost a lot of $$$. Were you running the PMT on higher settings? If so you could create more soot and clog the sytems/filters faster.

Even if you get these changed/fixed you could potentially see these problems again.

Get an XRT and delete the DPF/EGR and you will rid your self of those problems and they will be gone for good.

The diff fluid change/clean you can do yourself.

If you have the codes I would email them to Casey at H&S and get his opinion on if they are all DPF/EGR related.

Good luck.

#3 ·
BIG BS!!!

search around here - you can do the deletes yourself.

If it was smoking black, the DPF is likely cracked, should be a federal-mandated warranty on it, regardless of salvage title.

ECM update is just them flashing it, takes a little time to do.
What's up with the fuel rail, is it contaminated? Did they give you any rail pressure test results?

O2 sensors is the G30 recall-this may have already been done, check to see.

won't need to clean the EGR if you delete it, but it's also something you can clean yourself if need be.

change the fluid in both diffs-can do this yourself.

I'd tell the stealer to take a hike!

#17 ·
salvage title

Incorrect Mr. Banks, If you have a vehicle with a salvage title it will eventually show up in Chrysler history. Per Chrysler Corp a vehicle with a salvage title has absolutley no warranty what so ever. A dealer cant do any warranty repairs on a vehicle with a salvage title period, including federal emissions repairs or recalls. I tried and got burned. Chrysler's policy. FYI dont buy a vehicle with a salvage title, way too risky unless you can get it for free.

#4 ·
First. Fillout your signature so we know your location and truck details.
Second. if you live in an area that does not perform Emissions Testing
Third. If the above is true, I would suggest removing the DPF/EGR and going with the Smarty retaining only the PMT for an Expensive gauge set (set to stock so it does not conflict with the Smarty upload)
Fourth. If you are able to remove the EGR and DPF then, Forget the Cleaning and O2 Sensors.
Fifth. Have a shop do a differential oil change also while they are at it also do the transmission.
Sixth. By all means have the latest Software Flash performed as it does help the truck depending on its age and vintage.
There are several deals on the systems required to support an after market decision.

#5 ·
is there another dealership you can get a second opinion from? and maybe get some of the info "John Banks" was talking about?

#6 ·
I would be interested in why the fuel rail needs to be replaced. Like the others have said...if you do not have E-testing where you live your best bet would be to delete the DPF and EGR system...no more soot being recycled through your engine will keep it cleaner and help it to last longer. What codes did it trip? Did it derate the engine? Good luck with your truck!

#10 ·
I bought mine with deletes(secondhand) I took it in to the dealer to get the flash updated and the G30 recall done. They wanted to put the emissions parts back on (said it was going to cause "problems" later) They quoted me $6K. for parts and labor. of course I told them no! I paid $85 for the flash. the recall was warranty/no cost
they have to do the G30 Recall no matter what being it is emissions related.
Do the deletes if you can and get the flash and be done with it.

#11 ·
The fuel rail normally get recommended to be replaced because techs are lazy. The little valve in the end of the fuel rail, pressure limiting valve(?) is good for about 50 pop offs. You can replace the valve alone, but it is easier,quicker, and pays more money, to replace the rail itself, and up until recently it was allowed by chrysler and may still be. Unless the rail is contaminated or leaking I cant see why it need to be replaced.

#21 ·
That makes sense why they want to replace the rail. The rail is just a dumb piece of steal. unless cracked I could not see why, if cracked there would be alot of diesel on the ground and not much power on the ground.

#13 ·
#16 ·
Try some dpf delete pipes. That may just get rid of your problems all together. I see no reason why you'd need a new flash if you are running a PMT.
Ditch the PMT and get a Smarty or XRT while you are at it.

Oops. Did not see this before I posted above...I guess I had a good idea.

#19 ·
i have a dpf for sale...... interested it came off my 07.5 at 25.000kms its in great shape...:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.