Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Kansas Cummins Crew
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About the truck in my signature- This morning I noticed the truck took a little longer to start. And then it got progressivly worse throught out the day until it finally would not start! If you crank it a for a while it will finally start and chug for a little bit. So obviously you would think "fuel issue.":confused013: But then on the way home tonight it was choking the whole way, and throwing white smoke. Do you guys have ANY ideas? Thanks for the help.............

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
just a guess my friend I have not had this problem with my cummins but i have had the same thing with the ford 6.0 a bunch of times it has always come down to the EGR getting a chunk of carbon stuck in it an screwing things up these egr's are the worst thing everhappened to diesels dont know if it will help ya but. I unplugged my egr at 64 miles on the truck

·
Kansas Cummins Crew
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does make sence, but my egr is long gone. And the white smoke does seem like an egr related problem as far as the butterfly goes. but I don't see how that could affect the starting? Thanks rbmedic75.

·
Kansas Cummins Crew
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:banghead: Im so F---n old school! I forgot all about that, I'll be right back.........

·
Kansas Cummins Crew
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, all the Edge says is "1 of 1 codes retreived- p0405 egr posistion." But it's always thrown that code for obvious reasons. ????

·
Kansas Cummins Crew
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thing I was wondering is if for some reason the fuel system was sucking air, or loosing it's prime, could that cause white smoke?

·
Registered
91 Posts
mine had a hard time starting ounce and it was because i had the fuel cap no tightened. it was pulling in air with the fuel. see if it's a slight bit loose. hope it helps

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
couldnt tell for sure are you running with the DPF still intact

·
Kansas Cummins Crew
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright guys, I'll try that. I was just out messing with it, I checked the fuel/water seperator and it was good. Then I unplugged the Edge, and that made no difference.:banghead:

·
Kansas Cummins Crew
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
couldnt tell for sure are you running with the DPF still intact
No, I removed the DPF about 5,000 miles ago, EGR and butterfly were also removed at the same time. And it has ran awesome till now????

·
Registered
31 Posts
i would say you have injector problems on one of our big trucks at work was doing the same thing rolling white smoke really bad wouldnt run very good and it was a bad injector that blew a tip off of it and put a whole in the piston thats what it sounds like to me i know thats not what you wanted to hear but thats where i would start i would try to find another good injector and start switching injectors one by one and if it doesnt change anything you might have bigger problems hopefully its not that but good luck with it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
White smoke could be the truck trying to regen or one of the injectors is putting fuel out on the exhaust stroke.

If an injector is stuck it will dump a ton of fuel into the oil, check your oil to see if its contaminated.

Hope that helps.

·
Kansas Cummins Crew
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, I'm gonna take it to the dealer in the morning. But all of these things make sence. So I'll just try the warranty thing even though I'm sure they'll laugh at me when they see it.:lol4: But you never know unless you try. I appreciate your guys's help, and I'll keep you posted on what happens. Thank you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I noticed that you are running a 5.9 filter. These have a smaller surface area and may be letting less air through. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
with your DPF delete are you running sims in the EGT plugs if so what ohm are they if they are 470 the regen timer may have cycled (it tells the truck it has not done a regen in a while and will do one automatically) if you have the 470 sims in it may allow it to try the fix woud be putting in 330 ohm sim which will show a higher exhaust temp and tell it it is not safe to regen

·
Kansas Cummins Crew
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update- I just got back from my apointment with dodge this morning, and they ran a fuel test, and did a few other things concluding that there was no problem with the truck? Good fuel pressure, and no extra codes. The tech thinks that either the butterfly is trying to turn, or the Edge is having some problems? But I told him that I have romoved the white servo gear that turns the butterfly wich should stop the butterfly form moving in my opinion, but he disagrees, saying that the butterfly can still move? But I don't see how? And when I started the truck this morning it started right up and choked and puked white smoke for about ten minutes, and has ran perfect ever since? So whatever it is, it's intermittent. So I guess I'll remove the butterfly, and send the Edge back? What do you guys think?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts