Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ran regular low sulfur diesel in thier 6.7? seen a thread on it a long time ago but cant find it now, i dont see if you run it and put some two cycle in it i dont think it would hurt it! let me know yall thought plz! i can pick up low sulfur on discount intsead or 4.69:$:

G

·
has anyone ran regular low sulfur diesel in thier 6.7? seen a thread on it a long time ago but cant find it now, i dont see if you run it and put some two cycle in it i dont think it would hurt it! let me know yall thought plz! i can pick up low sulfur on discount intsead or 4.69:$:
Don't do it without DPF/EGR delete. Then you probably can, but you'd have to find it first. Most all pumps are ulsd.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have heard do not put LSD in anything newer, they were designed for ulsd, all that sulfur might wreck something, but its your money go with gut but if it were me i'd pay the extra money and run the right fuel rather than paying for new parts

·
Registered
289 Posts
The reason they went to the ULSD is for emissions, and then theres the DPF, so take the DPF/EGR out and burn whatever you can in it.

·
texas
909 Posts
I put 40 dollars of low sulfur diesel yesrerday for 4.31
pr is it better to run ultra low sulfur diesel

·
Banned
706 Posts
ULSD or LSD? I run lots of LSD through my truck (750gal farm tank) and have never once been to the dealership with any problems. Never had any codes or once has my overhead ever stated other than normal. Never had any catlyist full problems either. Funny, almost all I ever run is LSD and I've never had any problems with my truck.:lol3:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I think the difference in the LSD and ULSD is for the soot build up. I have 150k miles on my 6.7L. I have ran LSD, ULSD, Fuel from Mexico, etc and haven't had any fuel issues. I would just suggest maybe changing the fuel filter more ofter. I change mine every 10K but that will soon be obsolete as I will be installing a FASS 150gph from K2 in the next few weeks. I think my stock pump is getting ready to crap out on me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
For people who still have their emissions crap in place, you're lucky if you run LSD without problems. The change to ULSD was to help meet the emissions requirements for reducing the nitrogen compounds (NOx). The deal is that they invented the NOx adsorber (sits before the DPF) to collect the nitrogen compounds and the cooled EGR helps reduce the formation of nitrogen compounds. The picture gets complicated by the fact that sulfur in the fuel will fill up the NOx adsorber so that it doesn't have room to collect the NOx. They call it sulfur poisoning. So, the regen cycle you see on some monitors called DeSOx cleans the sulfur out of the NOx adsorber. Now, since the NOx adsorber is so sensitive to sulfur, the industry had to move from LSD which is 500ppm max sulfur to ULSD which is only 15ppm max.

·
Registered
750 Posts
For people who still have their emissions crap in place, you're lucky if you run LSD without problems. The change to ULSD was to help meet the emissions requirements for reducing the nitrogen compounds (NOx). The deal is that they invented the NOx adsorber (sits before the DPF) to collect the nitrogen compounds and the cooled EGR helps reduce the formation of nitrogen compounds. The picture gets complicated by the fact that sulfur in the fuel will fill up the NOx adsorber so that it doesn't have room to collect the NOx. They call it sulfur poisoning. So, the regen cycle you see on some monitors called DeSOx cleans the sulfur out of the NOx adsorber. Now, since the NOx adsorber is so sensitive to sulfur, the industry had to move from LSD which is 500ppm max sulfur to ULSD which is only 15ppm max.
In other words 15ppm sulfur was not really help the environment but to help the Nox filter perform at its best??? That makes me even more mad... :mad: I thought we were doing the environment a big favor by reducing 485ppm (500 minus 15)of sulfur :CRY:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I ran a tank of LSD and got the dreaded P2262 code!
After switching back to USLD Code went away!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I ran a tank of LSD and got the dreaded P2262 code!
After switching back to USLD Code went away!
Not saying it's not related, but that 2262 is a strange beast that seems to wander in and out at will for many of us.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not saying it's not related, but that 2262 is a strange beast that seems to wander in and out at will for many of us.
I can certainly attest to this!! It's like a ghost code.. on for 2 days, then it disappears for 2 days or so. There's no noticeable loss in performance when it's on though. My dealer says that they can't perform service for the code unless it's active which makes it especially frustrating. I don't see why they can't do it based on the fact that it's a stored code. Why does it have to be active?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Read your owners manual. It states your vehicle can run on LSD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts