Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

I'm up here in Northern Ontario and we have been getting -30C weather. What grade of oil should I be using? The manual calls for 5w40 synthetic! That is very expensive oil to go with especially with 12 Litres! Would 5w40 petro based be good enough?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I don't think 5w40 conventional oil exists, pretty sure it's all going to be a synthetic of some sort. I run Shell Rotella T6 5w40 and it's usually $19/gal at Wal-Mart so $60 in oil per oil change.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I did my first change at 3k miles just so I could get 5w40 syn in before the first cold snap. I'm planning on staying with it year round, and I also buy Rotella T6 at Walmart for ~$19/gal. 60 bucks plus another 11 for a filter from the Dodge dealer

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Here is an on going debate on another web site for the 6.7L engine as to what oil to use in it. I have attached the link for for to review. Engine oil recommendations - TDR Roundtable

One of the responders quotes a magazine article on oil quality and what is the best oil to use in a Cummins engine. The author in the magazine article, reports on 21 different oils and the test results of these oils. He ranks them in the best to worst category using industry standards and the ability to protect the diesel engine.

To open the magazine article quoted above in the post. You need to be a member. You can get a trail membership for $3 or $4, one time fee for 60 days. This will allow to access all of the sites and see the electronic magazine articles on the Ram trucks.
I hope this helps.
Jim W

·
Registered
2015 2500 Mega Cab
376 Posts
i run 15w40 all year round....but i have it plugged in

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hey fellas,

I'm up here in Northern Ontario and we have been getting -30C weather. What grade of oil should I be using? The manual calls for 5w40 synthetic! That is very expensive oil to go with especially with 12 Litres! Would 5w40 petro based be good enough?

Thanks
you allready paid the big bucks for the diesel, time to spend a bit of money to make it last. That just my opinion. I get cheap regarding the requirment to change the front and back diff fluid at 28000km. This seems like overkill to me.

Reactions: canuckhunter

·
Registered
241 Posts
I run a 5w40 syn. I have talked to other diesel owners who use all different kinds and they say that it doesn't affect their mileage when using conventional oils. My experience is that I get a slight mileage difference with synthetic oils. Haven't figured out if it is worthy it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oil filter type

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. After researching different brands of oil, I decided to go with Valvoline Premium blue 15w40 which is spec to Cummins. I can get a 5gal/ 22.75 ltrs pail for $96.00 CAD. I also located my block heater and will be picking up my power cord tomorrow for $30 ( dealer asking $85 ).
What brand of oil filter should I be using? The manual states that some after market filters breakdown and could send foreign materials through your oil system. I've always used Fram premium oil filters.
Does anyone know the fluid quantity for the Diffs, transfer case and transmission?

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
i run 15w40 royal purple, it is spendy but good oil.

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
i run 15w40 royal purple.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Thanks for your replies. After researching different brands of oil, I decided to go with Valvoline Premium blue 15w40 which is spec to Cummins. I can get a 5gal/ 22.75 ltrs pail for $96.00 CAD.
That's pretty spendy for a conventional 15w40 diesel oil, Shell Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic is basically the same price at just shy of $20/gal. It also meets Cummins' CES 20081 spec. There's no reason to spend that much for a conventional diesel 15w40 oil. Have you priced out the other conventional oils, such as Rotella T 15w40 or Chevron Delo 400 15w40?

Being that you're in Canada, I'd seriously consider running a 5w40 synthetic.

What brand of oil filter should I be using? The manual states that some after market filters breakdown and could send foreign materials through your oil system. I've always used Fram premium oil filters.
Fleetguard Stratapore is the best for the money - FLEETGUARD LF16035 - STRATAPORE OIL FILTER ('89-'11)-Dodge Cummins Diesel Truck Accessories – Geno’s Garage

If you need a filter now, then use the Mopar filter since it's also a Fleetguard filter, but just the standard version and not the Stratapore. Please, don't use a cheap Fram filter on your Cummins. Oil filters are cheap as it is, Fram are the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality.

If you want to plan ahead, then I'd get the Geno's maintenance kit. - DODGE DIESEL FILTER MAINTENANCE KIT - 4/2 ('07.5-'09, 6.7L)-Dodge Cummins Diesel Truck Accessories – Geno’s Garage

Does anyone know the fluid quantity for the Diffs, transfer case and transmission?

That info is here on the forums, just got to search. :thumbsup: I don't have the quantities handy, so I'd just be searching anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts