Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

341 - 350 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
So just unplugging egr valve actuator calve would effectively help keep my truck clean long term, but it would give a CEL. Any negative side effects to just driving around like that?

Im looking at tuners that can delete, but it looks like CA smog can see them even if I remove it before I take it back in.

Im actually ok with doing a full delete, tuner to make the computer happy and then just put it all back to stock on every 2 years. IF I know it will truly go back to stock an not get me flagged. The delete doesn't really look all that hard to install or uninstall.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Yes the regen is effective with the EGR removed from the equation.
The best way I know of to keep the dpf working well is to allow it to complete a regen. I did this by installing an Edge CTS that indicates when in regen and when one starts I would ensure I continued driving until it was complete.

BTW, you don't have to remove it. You can just unplug the egr valve actuator and it disables the system.
You don't have to keep driving around to continue the regen. It will continue to regen when you stop moving and leave it running.

·
Registered
295 Posts
So just unplugging egr valve actuator calve would effectively help keep my truck clean long term, but it would give a CEL. Any negative side effects to just driving around like that?

Im looking at tuners that can delete, but it looks like CA smog can see them even if I remove it before I take it back in.

Im actually ok with doing a full delete, tuner to make the computer happy and then just put it all back to stock on every 2 years. IF I know it will truly go back to stock an not get me flagged. The delete doesn't really look all that hard to install or uninstall.
You just need to put the vehicle equipment and program back to stock and then drive it a bit to make sure all the timers and setting are in ready status. I've never had any issue yet with Smog and never even had to check the computer/program for ready status.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
You just need to put the vehicle equipment and program back to stock and then drive it a bit to make sure all the timers and setting are in ready status. I've never had any issue yet with Smog and never even had to check the computer/program for ready status.

Very cool, what tuner do you use?

So just to be clear, you did a full delete, with tuner to keep the truck computer happy, the reinstall and set tuner to stock when you smog?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Very cool, what tuner do you use?

So just to be clear, you did a full delete, with tuner to keep the truck computer happy, the reinstall and set tuner to stock when you smog?
Correct! I use a Smarty S67 and very happy with it. I did the minimal deletes to produce the desired (needed) results and to minimize the work going back and forth every two years. EGR disabled along with DPF removed. Just put my stuff back on and return to stock and pay my fees and then go back to removing and repairing it for the next two years.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
It's called "Cali Deletes". You can read up on it here: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-6-7l-only-170/deleting-6-7-guide-making-run-right-273345/

In my location (LA county) they access the ecm to check the status of the I\M's during the smog test but they do not look for how many times it has been flashed. Besides adding one number to the flash total there's really no way to tell if there was a tune previously installed on the ecm.

However, if there is a delete tune currently installed during a smog test several of the I\M's will be in the not ready state and you won't pass the test.

You can have a custom tune written to only delete (disable) the egr system. To me this is a waste as the cost is the same for the egr delete or the full delete.

Reactions: mega-engr

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
By cost you mean a write count to the ecm?
No I mean the price you pay a vendor to write a custom tune to delete (disable) the egr system is the same price you pay a vendor to write a tune for full deletes (egr and exhaust) so to me if the cost is the same then I'd go with the full delete tuning and not waste the $$$ on an egr only delete tune.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
No I mean the price you pay a vendor to write a custom tune to delete (disable) the egr system is the same price you pay a vendor to write a tune for full deletes (egr and exhaust) so to me if the cost is the same then I'd go with the full delete tuning and not waste the $$$ on an egr only delete tune.

Ohh that one is new to me, I thought you used a tuner to do the deletes, I didn’t know you pay a vendor to do it, do you send the ecm off or something?

·
Registered
295 Posts
The typical tuner hardware has tunes all ready written and can be chosen. They usually involve disable/delete of the EGR and DPF systems. However, there aren't too many out of the box tuners (hardware) available (or supported any longer). Hence, EFI Live is a platform that is currently used and supported where custom tunes are more readily available and developed by multiple suppliers.

Reactions: xcc_rider
341 - 350 of 350 Posts