Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Unreconstructed
24,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, yall! It's the Appalachain-American here!

I got a question for all of yall who are more "electronicly-savvy" than me!

Like Shibby, Steve, Cowboy, Kevin, KMK, MattPopp, etc...

*** I would like to find a program for my PC, that I can connect to a '07 5.9 ECU - via: USB 2.0-to-wherever you plug in to it, externally, while it's not in the computer......that I can rewrite the 5.9 ECU w/ the 68RFE tranny program, and all of MY ECU info (ESN #, Serial #, etc...

Or, possibly re-write my 6.7 ECU w/o the DPF/EGR setup and sensors?

Or, is it possible to make a dual-female coupler, to mount, connect, and run JUST the engine functions from the 5.9 ECU (w/ that harness), and the tranny controls from the 6.7 ECU (w/ that harness)???

Or are they all, inter-twined together?

Is that even possible???

Or am I merely day-dreaming?

Do you know anyone who could do any of that?

G

·
*****Drinks too much of that shtuff he makes *****

Austin

That is an awful lot of work. Remember, we discussed this else where, they are probably encrypted.

My buddy, the geek wiped out his 05 ECM completely messing around. I had to winch his truck on my trailer and take him to the dealer.

I was laughing my can off while he tried to explain to them it just stopped! I think they had to give him a new ECM.

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
Probably about the only feasible choice from what you have listed is totally chopping the ECM side of the harness and running the 5.9 Compy. Even then I am not sure it would work because they are intertwined. The transmission says hey engine I am about to shift, boosting right now would be a pretty bad idea. Things like that, that I am not sure a 5.9 ecm would interpret correctly. With that being said, on a manual trans truck however, I am pretty sure one of the diesel power mags has already done this with a 6.7 running a 5.9 ecm. The defueling for that one is very similar since that trans hasn't changed from the one the 5.9 came with. The ecm is most certainly encoded to prevent just what we are all trying our damndest to do bypass fuel wasting technology.

G

·
The fueling values may be different too. The 5.9's could be better because they are leaning the mix more in the 6.7. But then again. . . .

Remember, we are going from a 360 CuIn to a 409 CuIn. That 50 cubes makes a big difference in many ways. It takes more fuel to feed that correctly. Same principle as a gas engine.

The ECM's are only capable of a specific + or - range when compensating. It's usually 15% in gas.

· Unreconstructed
24,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know...

It was just a thought!

Anyway...what kind of concepts can any of yall come up with?

I know you, Shibby!

You're pretty damn good with ECU's and stuff like that, I figured you might could mess around with one and see what you can come up with?

Like maybe create a new ECU, programmed w/ your original ESN #, VIN #, Serial #, etc...

...w/ all of the same values for the tranny, engine, etc...while eliminating the emiss. crap???

I hate to bring it up...but when I talked with Shawn @ IPD, he said he already has one, that he made, for his own truck (6.7 w/ twin-turbos).

He said he had to, b/c the speed-sensor, boost-sensor, and crap like that, wouldn't read correctly w/ his stock ECU.

I don't know if this is true, or not...but he does have some pics of his truck on his website...and it IS a 6.7 w/ Twins!

And it looks BADD!!!

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
You think it should be possible but quite hard look at efi live for the dmax and sct livewire on the powerstroke then there is nothing close to that for the cummins. That right there tells you what you are think is a great idea but it aint going to happen. But if you would like to get more info on swapping the the stuff get ahold a richard brown at Browns Diesel I dont know what he will tell but he has done it.

· Unreconstructed
24,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks KMK!

I sure will give him a call!

Did he do any of the work on your's?

Did he do this to any members on here vehicles???

If he did, I was gonna get some opinions on how they liked it?

And what level of differences it made...HP, TQ, MPG, etc...?

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
well he made over 1000 hp and bent a rod, he hasnt that i know of done any work to any members 6.7s like that or mine I have done all the work myself, with alittle help from others

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
basically what he is able to do with his ECM (IPD Guy) is take all the values for the speed sensors and just put them in a look up table. When a sensor is acting up on your truck it will just go to a preprogrammed look up table and take a given throttle input and assess a value to it. I personnally cannot crack a cummins ECM, but somehow he must have in order to change the look up tables. Basically he has probably reprogrammed limp mode on his truck with performance values, that way when the sensors are disconnected it goes into "limp mode" maybe even without a CEL and just runs like a raped ape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.