Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm needing to rebuild my 12V and i did some searching but couldn't really find much but i know this has been asked before, but what would it take to put a 6.7 crank in a 5.9 12 and what would i really gain?

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
i read a lot in the stroker kit thread and i still see a lot of yes's and no's... so which is it?

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more displacement, more torque due to more leverage on the crank

· Registered
364 Posts
Yeah but I will say it again. Why do you think you need one. Or let me ask you this. Why do you need to make even more torque then what the 5.9 can put out? All I'm saying is I don't see a point in doing it, but hey that's just one guys two cents

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah but I will say it again. Why do you think you need one. Or let me ask you this. Why do you need to make even more torque then what the 5.9 can put out? All I'm saying is I don't see a point in doing it, but hey that's just one guys two cents
uh... more torque... its always better to have more lol, i was just thinking if i am this far into the motor now and it will drop in why not drop a 6.7 crank in here and have a little more stroke. but from the looks of things they won't drop in.

fwiw, the 6.7 crank won't give you 6.7L of displacement... the 6.7L engine is both larger in bore and stroke...
i know. i'm just after a little more if it is pretty simple.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
Not simple at all and really not worth it (anything can be done with enough money). if you want the extra stroke and displacement, get a 6.7 ;)

· Registered
4,160 Posts
It could be done. But are you really gonna fork over the $3K or so cost to make custom stroker pistons on top of all the custom fab work?
i think this was the answer he was looking for, if it was a bolt in crank and everything from the 5.9 worked why not do it, but the price tag and custom fab work i dont think he will do it.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think this was the answer he was looking for, if it was a bolt in crank and everything from the 5.9 worked why not do it, but the price tag and custom fab work i dont think he will do it.
Exactly. that's was the way it was looking from all the reading i've done but i was just looking for a definitive answer.

· Registered
122 Posts
I read the following on february's DieselPower mag:
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 - Lethal Injection pulling truck
In the past, Bill ran a 6.7L block,but the hybrid you see here consists of a 5.9L block and crank with 6.7L connecting rods and pistons.
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel Engine Photo

Why did they used 6.7 rods? I'd like to know more specs about 6.7's.Rod length? Crank stroke? Shorter pistons? Taller block?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.