Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys,
I need to get a cold air intake; I wanted to get some input as to what everyone is running and what’s going to give me the most bang 4 buck. I know the SB Systems are as low as 269.00 or there’s the Mega Cannon for about 400.00. I was thinking about a SB and perhaps an Mp-8 instead of blowing just 400 on a intake. Is the mega cannon worth the money? I am hoping that I will be able to hear the sweet whistle of the turbo better also. I need some advise!!! Ohh and and like everyone else I want it tomorrow those of you that sell.

Thanks,

Robb

The Airaid is very reasonable, is it justifiable to spend the extra $$$ on something like the mega cannon or icebox

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some more feedback would be appreshated

·
700hp Club
2,196 Posts
i picked up the afe megga cannon for 375 here at home, came with an extra filter, prodryS as a spare while you clean the big one, love that, also a t-shirt. as far as the whistle goes, it is all worth it, sounds great. S&B are just as good of a filter but they take longer to get out for cleaning because they are boxed in, the cannon is wide open and takes 2sec to remove.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The Mega Cannon will definitely give you more turbo whistle.

The day after I installed mine, I did the exhaust and it was even better. The exhaust brake is stronger too.

I imagine once you start adding more power (tuners) it'd be a requirement. I'm not sure how well the stock filter will flow with the mods.

The AFE Mega Cannon is HUGE though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Cai

some more feedback would be appreshated
Go with the S & B. I have had great luck with it. I really liked their testing standards on their website. It looks great under the hood and they will even customize the clear plastic covering over the filter.

:thumbsup

·
Unreconstructed
6,319 Posts
I'd also recommend the AFE Mega Cannon!

I don't have one yet...but as soon as I get my new tires tomorrow...then I'm gonna start saving for an AFE Mega Cannon, and Bully Dog PMT.

Now, in all-fairness, the S&B is a great intake! So, is the IceBox!

So, I'm not "downing" anyone's product...

I'm merely stating my opinion, and my personal preference.

And I personally feel that because of its size, and AFE's reputation...that the AFE Mega Cannon will flow more CFM (cubic-feet per-minute) for MY needs!!!

Because....I am going to be "gunning" my truck in the sled-pulling, dyno-frying, tire-shredding, trailer-towing, MONSTEROUS amounts of power, direction!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Definately ICEBOX

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
I dont think you can go wrong with any of them. I have seen the S&B and i have the aFe, Both looked great. Icebox is a good option as well, they didnt have one out when i bought mine though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went with S&B. Its hard to beat for the money. They really do a nice job posting the test results. Its nice to see those numbers to ensure your getting protection with performance. I definetly felt snappier throttle response and of cousre a louder whistle. So far I'm seeing anywhere from a half to one mpg increase. Yeah, you do have to clean and oil it more often (they say every 10,000 miles on the DVD- maybe more like 5000 if in dusty enviornment), but I kinda like tinkering on the truck and knowing I'm maintaining it anyway. They make a really nice cleaning kit too!

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed the True Flow XDI, it looks and sounds great.

·
Second Most Important Member
1,748 Posts
cold air intake

the numbers posted by s & b say it all. flow plus filtration and you can't beat that. this filter set up will let you hear your turbo....:thumbsup

·
Registered
388 Posts
i like my air raid, i got a killer deal on it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
filter

i just installed the afe mega cannon as well and feels good, sounds good. I like the size they use for the down pipe to turbo then a real big air filter. I had the afe on my 06 also and had not one issue with dust or any thing with them this is why i stay with afe.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
i would recommend the AFE with the dry filters..the filter oil in some filters can lead to some major problems if applied wrong (ie. K&N) but i havent heard anything bad about the s&b

but personally, AFE!!!!!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
afe

I also bought the afe with the dry pro filter from Alligator Performance. $286 to the door and it arrived the next day! Plenty of turbo whistle and my overhead jumped 3 miles a gallon. Hand calculated at about 1.5. I am happy with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts