Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
So yeah 394 cu/inches by using a 6.7 block
or 371 cu/in by stroking it.
HMMMMM
I thought the thread was about the swap of a 6.7 block. It gains volume better than I was originally thinking. Way better than stroking it.
Not real sure what your talking about "gaining volume better". Is there a worse way?
5.9=359
5.9 bored .040 over =366 or 6.0
5.9 stroked with 6.7 crank= 371
6.7 destroked with 5.9 crank=394
6.7= 409
6.7 bored .040=417

It's not that there is a better way to do it, you just don't gain much with bore unless you make the .20" jump to a 6.7 block

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I'm just going to get a complete 6.7l crate engine built to the tilt from cpp when it's time for an engine. For the price that a used 6.7l goes for and the prices of all the new parts it's cheaper for me to buy the cpp crate engine then build it my self. So ill get the cpp crate and bolt on all of my 5.9 accessories, electronics, valve covers, and whatever else that I could use from mine.

·
Premium Member
7,070 Posts
Not real sure what your talking about "gaining volume better". Is there a worse way?
5.9=359
5.9 bored .040 over =366 or 6.0
5.9 stroked with 6.7 crank= 371
6.7 destroked with 5.9 crank=394
6.7= 409
6.7 bored .040=417

It's not that there is a better way to do it, you just don't gain much with bore unless you make the .20" jump to a 6.7 block
As pointed out it's actually .19" jump to the 6.7 short block but glad to see you agree. You now say to the OP "It's not that there's a better way to do it"

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,153 Posts
A 6.7 crank in a 5.9 block would make the pistons protrude about the block. You'd have to machine the pistons down by how much, idk but I don't think it'll work. Just like putting a 5.9 crank in a 6.7 block, you have the block decked

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Running An Entire 6.7l Seems like the best and easiest route. I plan to purchase one from cpp Fully built milled intake, p&p, cam, cpp rods, blue printed all parts balanced polished, hardened, crank knife edged. All with a 1 year warranty. So that will be my next engine with probably a s366 over a s483 with at least tomorrow 100% over bms inj. With probably my same 10.6mm pump.

·
Banned
4,309 Posts
A 6.7 crank in a 5.9 block would make the pistons protrude about the block. You'd have to machine the pistons down by how much, idk but I don't think it'll work. Just like putting a 5.9 crank in a 6.7 block, you have the block decked
.080" needs to be machined off. That leaves the piston protrusion at .020" which works fine. The nice thing about it is that it raises up the compression and lights chargers faster. You can also machine the pistons to drop compression, but it is not needed. I've already done well into the 4 digits without machining the pistons. 14mm head studs is a must though.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Ehh, hope your 6.7 is better than your injectors. Wouldnt want a dirty crate motor, lol.

·
11,153 Posts
.080" needs to be machined off. That leaves the piston protrusion at .020" which works fine. The nice thing about it is that it raises up the compression and lights chargers faster. You can also machine the pistons to drop compression, but it is not needed. I've already done well into the 4 digits without machining the pistons. 14mm head studs is a must though.
Is this using the 5.9 block and putting a 6.7 crank in it? Or other way around. 6.7 block with 5.9 crank?

·
Registered
145 Posts
How bout a 6.7 block and pistons with a 5.9 crank and head. Would any machining need to be done?

·
Registered
132 Posts
How bout a 6.7 block and pistons with a 5.9 crank and head. Would any machining need to be done?
That is the combination that Blacks Diesel is running in there drag truck. It equals out to a 6.4 and he said that you have to do some machining to the pistons to get a good fuel burn. There's a thread on here somewhere about it.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
That is the combination that Blacks Diesel is running in there drag truck. It equals out to a 6.4 and he said that you have to do some machining to the pistons to get a good fuel burn. There's a thread on here somewhere about it.
Unless you buy a short block from ashley you arent going to get any info that you can take with you to the machine shop to build this 6.4 that he runs. IMO just build a 6.7 with your 5.9 head and electronics

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Ashley has not given me any specifics by any means about the bowl he uses but I've asked him about some "grey" areas and got some answers. It's not so the fuel burns good, it's the best design he has found for the most power. Also, what benefit are you gaining by running a 5.9 head on a 6.7 block? Just do a complete 6.7 long block with 5.9 electronics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Has anyone tried a 6.7 short block with a 12v or 24v head with a p pump so it's all mechanical.

Reactions: commtrd

·
11,153 Posts
Has anyone tried a 6.7 short block with a 12v or 24v head with a p pump so it's all mechanical.
Yes there's a thread in here where a guy used a 24v head and a VE mechanical pump.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
It's something I've thought about after I seen a 12v 6.7 ag engine but the salvage yards are asking over 2k for a short block out of a burnt truck. It's something I'd like to try but don't have the budget for at this time.

·
11,153 Posts
Did you find the thread? If I find it, I'll link it in here.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
No I haven't found it.

·
11,153 Posts
41 - 60 of 78 Posts