Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok give me the low down on what to expect when removing the exhaust manifold. i already have removed all the dpf junk. therefore it is just the exhaust manifold. truck has 215k miles on a 2007. ordered 6 new gaskets and all new manifold bolts to go back on. what is the torque to apply on the manifold bolts for installation. also will i have to unhook the turbo or what?

·
Banned
3,744 Posts
Ok not to take things off track but you have 215,000 mile:shock:. Please share with everbody what you have done to the truck to keep it running strong! Also what has gone wrong during this time you have had it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
best i can come up with is after just driving for 6-7 hours and arriving at dropoff spot, i was sitting on road at idle and hear a ping sound like a metal object being struck by another metal object. sure enough the 2nd cylinder from the front had a slight gap in the seal between the exhaust manifold and the engine. you could blow dry your hair with the hot air coming from that gap.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Take the bolts loose if the gaskets have "hooks" you can just slide them in from the top. If they have "holes" you will have to remove the whole manifold..

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you still have the EGR cooler it makes it so much harder.

To replace the gaskets, start by loosening all the bolts and take the bottom bolts out,

Next, start in the middle and work your way out, take the top bolt out, hold the gaskets \should be like 2-3 that go in/ and hold them in the same orientation as they would be when installed and put your bolt in just loosely.

Then let the gasket swing down and around to the bottom and put the bottom bolt in.

Do that for all 6 and have fun.. the back bottom bolt closest to the firewall has a stud for the water coolant pipe, kind of a pain but you can do it.

OH also, the front (closest to the radiator) bottom bolt will need a swivle socket to get at it, I think it was 1/2" short swivle, but the coolant vent pipe was the piece in the way again.

If you need any other help post back up, I have done it once and plan to do it again later in the spring.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
You will need some beers it is a pain in the butt and the turbo and manifold combination is heavy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts