Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my very first post on any forum so please be patient with me if I screw this all up.
I have a number of questions related to boidiesel, but will need to mention some background info before I get to them.
I recently sold my ‘92 Ram W250 5.9 and replaced it with a ‘08 Ram 2500 6.7. I almost cried when I watched the old truck drive away, but it had to be done. Although the engine would have probably lasted for years the rest of the truck was falling apart. I neither had the time nor the resources to repair all its issues. The ‘08 Ram is a beautiful truck, but I still miss the ‘92.
Anyway, I’ve been wanting to home brew biodiesel for a long time, but never got around to it with the old truck. However now with the absurd diesel prices it’s become a necessity. Dodge claims the 6.7 is compatible with B5 and up to B20 in fleet and military trucks, but I want to run B100 or close to it. It wouldn’t be cost effective otherwise when considering the price of a home brew system and producing the fuel. My concerns specifically revolve around the DPF’s reaction to B100 and possible oil dilution issues. Apparently during catalyst regen the engine injects fuel during the exhaust stroke there by passing unburnt fuel into the exhaust where it ignites in the DPF creating the heat necessary for the collected soot to chemically break down. This additional fuel injection causes some fuel to work its way thru the piston rings and into the crank case causing fuel/oil dilution. This dilution issue is supposedly a greater problem when biodiesel is involved. Something to do with the methanol content.
So finally here’s my questions:
I like to hear form anybody who’s run high percentage biodiesel in their 6.7's.
-How long/How many miles?
-Under what conditions? (Towing/City/Hi-way driving)
-Performance/MPG?
-Any CEL’s , Full catalyst warnings, or other issues?
-Are you using Home brewed or Commercial biodiesel?
-If home brewed what type/brand system?

Answers to any or all of these questions would be greatly appreciated.
I apologize for being so long winded and asking so much I just don’t want to destroy a fifty thousand dollar truck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've done your share of research on this. There's a lot of people who are running bio through their 6.7s and getting good results (i.e. not blowing up their motors, hehe). As far as the DPF is concerned it seems that the bio doesn't have any negative effects on it. I am personally in the process of setting up my own homebrew system, an appleseed processor. It'll cost me between 500 and 700 to get the complete setup going, which will pay for itself in less than two months. I plan on running about 50% bio for the time being, but if the fuel prices keep rising, I'll eventually work up to 100%. Check out these links.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7-liter-general-discussion/61613-bio-diesel-6-7-a.html

Welcome - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial Website

And welcome to the forum.

P.S. Fill in your info for your truck.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Delete the DPF and most of your issues will go away. Mechanical the engie should not have any issues runnign biodiesel, but the EPA crap will. I'm pondering getting a new truck(Ford or Dodge) and the first thing to go would be all of the EPA stuff. However that will add some cost to your base, but you will gain it all bavck when your truck is getting 5+MPG better.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I read a story about how Bio when used in the new 6.7 could cause more wear on the internals of the engine. Its caused by the last injection event that (for the EPA smog junk aka DPF) allows diesel fuel to get mixed in with the crankcase oil. If I can find the web site I will post it for you to read. IIRC one of the people they talked for the story was a person from Cummins.

·
Registered
242 Posts
what about the 5.9? can you run bio in the first gen cummins engine?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts