Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 6.7 with the dpf delete can i run bio ? with fuel as much as it is i would like to invest in BIO.:$:

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I know of several guys around here running B20 and B100 without any problems. Just make sure the source of the fuel is reputable and keep up on fuel filter changes.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know nothing about the stuff .. i would like to make it myself? im looking around the bio fuel forum. dont see much

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Just make sure its dry. Too much water is the biggest issue.

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
I've run several tanks of B20 thru mine & one tank of B100. No home brew run thru yet except a few small test batches that tested clean.

My bio setup is on its way here though

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is b20 and b100 ? what kind of setup are you usein for your home brew?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
B20 is 20% Bio and B100 is 100% bio

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've been running b20 from my excavator the last few tanks. Dyed too:butt:
Runs fine, just a little cheaper.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so you can run 20% bio and 80% ulsd? what does that do to the power ect? do you have to do anything special? or just poor it in and run it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
so you can run 20% bio and 80% ulsd? what does that do to the power ect? do you have to do anything special? or just poor it in and run it.
That's right! 80 ULSD/20 Bio. You can definately smell the bio when outside the truck. I didn't see any power difference.
I wouldn't do it too much without the dpf removed. I ran a few tanks through my dads stock 08 with dpf still in with no problems though. In fact, he gets better mileage than me for some strange reason.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm very interested in how it works i would like to find someone who can show me how it is made. is it that hard?

·
Registered
473 Posts
The hardest part would be collecting all the oil from the reataurants. I would have made my own bio 2 years ago if I had the time to run around to all the restaurants.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I started here a long time ago: Journey to Forever: Hong Kong to Cape Town Overland - An adventure in environment and development, join us on the Internet, all welcome, participation, online education, school projects, free of charge
IT was current back then....

They have links to other areas that seem to have more current information. JTF is still a pretty good place to start, but some of the info is kind of dated.

My schooling on bio was with the VP44. I'm seeing what others are doing with the CR... I have a buddy that's a diesel mechanic and he says there have been a lot of fuel system issues for some of the folks running bio.

Bio doesn't keep forever (acidifies as it degrades)
Bio has a higher gel point
Bio has water that is sometimes suspended in it
Bio, when washed with the bubble method, can be oxidized also lowering the PH (gets more acidic)

Its generally not "pump n go" like the petrodiesel. There's a bit to understand, but in times like these its worth it. I just may purchase a V-Dubya to continue on with my VP44 plans - I'm a little hesitant with the 6.7 cause there is still things I don't know. I've got a couple of years of payments left and I'm not ready to repair things just yet.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
any other points of interest'

·
Registered
844 Posts
any other points of interest'
Here in IL we run bio all the time in the summer. All the pumps I get fuel from say 10 to15% biodiesel.

The major issue with running bio is the stupid exhaust crap on the 6.7L. Bio burns cleaner but it doesn't react very well with the DOC(diesel oxidation catalyst) that creates the heat to clean out the DPF. So you have more active regenerations.
The emissions crap is just to sensitive to run high levels of bio.

Now for home brew. There are 3 main ways to use waste vegetable oil.
1. have a separate tank, heater, and filters on the truck to run straight veg oil. who has room to add all that stuff to your truck? plus you have to drive on petro diesel until the veg oil warms up to 170F. So on short trips or around town you can use it. Not as big of issue in AZ but a huge issue in the colder northern environment.
2. convert the oil in your garage with a $3000 dollar kit. This makes good fuel but you have to store methanal and lye which are very hazardous chemicals. Plus you can only make 40 gallons a day. High maintainance and very touchy.
3. Do a combo of 1 and 2. go to dieselsecret.com to see how I do it. Chemically stabilize the oil, thin it, filter it, and pump it into the tank. I can make fuel as fast as my 3hp pumps can move it.
AS MENTIONED BEFORE THE QUALITY OF THE USED OIL IS CRITICAL!!! IF YOU START WITH JUNK YOU GET JUNK. Most restaurants use liquid shortening not veg oil. Plus, they have large bio removal companies that actually pay to remove the oil. The mom and pop restaurants usually have the best oil but the big bio companies have reached them also. I have several restaurants that I have to pay $1 to get the oil but its still worth it.
I have been making home brew bio for 4 yrs with no problems. I have run it in deere,cat,cummins, old and just off the lot.

I run B20 in my 6.7L with no problems. Beyond that it is a gamble because of the emissions crap and the stock lift pump has a hard time pumping the higher viscous fuel.

I have 5 guys that are running my B40 in their 5.9Ls so I can't wait to get my dpf delete and join them!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks what great info.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Stay away from DieselSecret, it is a scam.

If you want to make Biodiesel, the processor will cost you about $500 to build and that is starting with all new components.

Do a search on appleseed processor. :thumbsup

·
Registered
844 Posts
Stay away from DieselSecret, it is a scam.

If you want to make Biodiesel, the processor will cost you about $500 to build and that is starting with all new components.

Do a search on appleseed processor. :thumbsup
Call diesel secret what you want but I have done all the tests in the labs and the best test of all. 4 yrs of using with no problems.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Call diesel secret what you want but I have done all the tests in the labs and the best test of all. 4 yrs of using with no problems.

Right :thumbsup Mixing gasoline, kerosene and a SECRET bottle of chemicals with filtered WVO is great. :rof Make sure you post up the repair bill when it craters your new 6.7 CTD.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Right :thumbsup Mixing gasoline, kerosene and a SECRET bottle of chemicals with filtered WVO is great. :rof Make sure you post up the repair bill when it craters your new 6.7 CTD.
Did you not read my last post?
My bio has been lab tested and has better specs then ulsd. I have several customers that have 50K miles on there 5.9L with no problems.
Go ahead and pay $5+ for your fuel. I will continue to pay 2.5 and put my fuel savings in my investments making 12% interest.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts