Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a guy pull up next to me at the light in an F250 "pretty clean truck", ask if my truck was chipped, I said no; I have a tuner. So he then spooled a little and I just waited for green. I must say I was impressed with his take off a little, not supper impressed; but nevertheless. He was about a truck length ahead of me, pissed me off a bit, but then my tires were breaking loose 1-2 "no spool, on mild with MM, no 4x4 launch".
Next light I asked if he had the Spartan Tune on his truck, he said he was running the 275 Spartan tune on it with only TBE. If this was true, it was a pretty quick for only those mods. I feel like I should have up my tune to wild and hit it in spooled 4x4 launch. But being close to town, and a stock 68 in my ride; Ill let him think he is faster for now.

Moral of the story, my first time seeing a spartan tune run; pretty nice. Plus Im upset I was a truck length back!:doh:

regards,
MAC

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was shocked to see it run like that!

regards,
MAC

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I dont know of any tunes for our truck that will keep up with a spartan tuned 6.4. I was at local diesel drags 2 weeks back. there was 2 2010 6.4s, both on 310 tune and TBE, nothing else. Both 4x4 boosted launches, both ran 12.7s every run. and one with 6" lift 37s ran 13.4s all day. my buddy just put 5" TBE and only on 175 tune on his 2010 6.4, and I cant come close, although all I have is intake and MP8, we both on 35" trail grapplers levelled and intakes. they are animals, but he knows that I will be the one towing him on his trailer when he blows the trans or breaks something.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the trans is weak in the 6.4s and head gaskets are an issue, but a 68 is nothing to brag about either. Still love my truck, and cant be sold off a Cummins! I was just saying I have heard about the Spartan tune, but this was the first encounter I have with it.

regards,
MAC

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I know the trans is weak in the 6.4s and head gaskets are an issue, but a 68 is nothing to brag about either. Still love my truck, and cant be sold off a Cummins! I was just saying I have heard about the Spartan tune, but this was the first encounter I have with it.

regards,
MAC
I agree. Too many known issues with them, but just that spartan tune and TBE is untouchable. I'll stick with my cummins, itll be the one towing his @ss back when he blows his truck apart, which he knows is gonna happen and is okay with it. Hes my best friend, but hes an idiot, doesnt care about anything

·
Premium Member
10,370 Posts
I love my Dodge but no doubt those 6.4's are a beast with either the Spartan, H&S or KEM tunes.

Like drunk on said these can run mid to upper 12 second passes with just the basics.

James
RSD

·
Diesel Junkie
9,201 Posts

regards,
MAC
The trans is survivable to north of 600 HP, some even say 700 HP stock...

I dyno'd 5 6.4s in one day all with nothing more than intake tuner and exhaust, none made less than 520 to the wheels :stirpot:

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
The trans is survivable to north of 600 HP, some even say 700 HP stock...

I dyno'd 5 6.4s in one day all with nothing more than intake tuner and exhaust, none made less than 520 to the wheels :stirpot:
:agree2:
Both of my trucks have 37's and 3.73's and my 08 6.4 will walk all over my 2010 6.7.

The 6.4 has the H&S 250 tune,aFe stgII intake,and a 4" downpipe back exhaust.

My 6.7 has the H&S Hot Damn tuning, aFe stg II intake, 5" TBE, grid heater delete, Shibby stgII horn, Shibby boost tube, Shibby grid heater relocate.

Both trucks have H&S trans tuning and you can feel the Dodges converter shudder on hard pulls whereas the Ford will roast the tires instead.

That being said I still like my Dodge better.:thumbsup:

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
But being close to town, and a stock 68 in my ride; Ill let him think he is faster for now.
Not only does he think he's faster, he knows he's faster. Without a trans, air, and fuel, you ain't got a chance.

They're runnin SOB's

I know the trans is weak in the 6.4s and head gaskets are an issue
Stock trans holds north of 600. It'll survive for awhile above 700. And 700 is a nitrous nozzle away on a stock truck...

Don't think I've heard of many headgasket issues. Maybe stock trucks, but not deleted/tuned ones.

And for added salt in the wound, the stock bottom end will hold north of 1000hp (think 12xx has been done); a 6.7 won't.

·
Military Veteran
2,093 Posts
You have to give credit where credit is due. 6.4 PS with a Spartan, KEM or H&S tune are quick.
I made the mistake of buying a new 2005 6.0 PS but after two blown head gaskets I went to trade it in for a 6.4 PS. In stock form the 6.4 felt like a slug and after my bad experience with the 6.0 I went with a Cummins instead. Who knew the 6.4 was going to be such a beast with just a tuner :doh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
They are fast but wont last. My work truck is a 08 550 6.4 with 5700 hours and 93000kms on it and weighs in at around 19000lbs. Lets start with 3 rads, 1 high pressure fuel pump, 2 fan clutches, various other minor issues and a turbo on the way out.
There are 14 trucks being run and 6 have had the same issues all stock. Some deep pockets are needed for these IMO.

·
Diesel Junkie
9,201 Posts
Your truck is also 10klbs heavier than most and still stock :confused013:

·
Registered
7 Posts
The truck is a work truck not my own. Weight has nothing to do with all the mechanical issues my point is they are expensive $$$ to run and maintain when run stock. Thats all I was trying to point out.

·
Diesel Junkie
9,201 Posts
weight sure does affect it, more weight = more load = more stress

and yes when stock they aren't the best however most have said on here that with very little aftermarket they are quite amazing machines

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
They are fast but wont last. My work truck is a 08 550 6.4 with 5700 hours and 93000kms on it and weighs in at around 19000lbs. Lets start with 3 rads, 1 high pressure fuel pump, 2 fan clutches, various other minor issues and a turbo on the way out.
There are 14 trucks being run and 6 have had the same issues all stock. Some deep pockets are needed for these IMO.
There's the problem. Stock, they aren't much better than a 6.0. Deleted, not only are they better than a 6.0 could ever dream, but they are monsters

·
Registered
13,852 Posts
yup, you can't idle them excessively. That's actually not a bad repair list for a 93,000km bone stock truck (how many miles is that?)

FWIW, there's NO WAY I would "work" a 6.4

They're awesome daily drivers w/ some light towing/hauling here and there.

If you want a work truck, get a Cummins. End of discussion IMO

·
Diesel Junkie
9,201 Posts
57,000 miles

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.