Cummins Diesel Forum banner

6.4 powerstoke...... Does any one still buy them?

5K views 65 replies 23 participants last post by  David Ivory 
#1 ·
So ive decided im going to be selling my very clean rust free 2007 6.7. To hopfully replace it with a equally as clean 2nd or 3rd gen with a 6speed. As i am prowling fb market place to see whats local... Quite a few 6.4 powerstrokes popped up and i couldnt help but to ponder. If any one buys these things any more? High school kids that want a diesel to roll coal and have 3ft offset tires? As they are cheap and people practicly give them away. Also makes you wonder if its just the same trucks , getting sold and traded over and over to the next victom. Hmmmmmm

#54 ·
All these mods. I have a stock 2007 2500 with the 5.9L and Mercedes G56. Why isn't stock good enough? Trucks are for carrying lots of stuff. Bought it for $24K in 2015 with 82K on the odometer. Nice feature is a nice ARE camper shell that I can at least stand up in (hunched over). Didn't know how good I was going to have it. Just needed a good scrubbing inside and out. There were so many of those smelly christmas tree odor things, it took a steam cleaning and some years for the smell to go away. That and vaccuming up at least a bowl of Cheerios from the prior owner's kiddie seat in the back.

#56 ·
Ive decided im going to sell mine, or try too. Not going to give it away. Worrying about the trans and headgasket all the time when i drive it, is what was the tipping point on the decision

#58 ·
Lmao, “worrying” about imaginary problems so much you’re selling the truck. i have had several trucks before landing on my 08 6.7, mine were as reliable. This truck just works. I fix what’s broke and move on. Every older truck is going to have problems you just learn to deal. Have you considered a Subaru?

#61 ·
So basicly what they are saying is .. you cant build a 68rfe that will handle horsepower and last... But we can build one that will handle tuned power , if you baby it and only get on it once in a great while.. 🤣

#62 ·
I picked up a very clean '08 F450 5R110 150K miles Lariat 4x4. Blown 6.4. for $8k.

Found an '08 6.7 Cummins complete engine 103K miles for $4500. A donor Ram truck could be better because you get all the little things like the Cummins down pipe to mate to the 6.4 exhaust and other odds and ends.

DCS Conversion kit $5000. Sold 6.4 engine for $1500 and bought a BD Iron horn turbo. Sold VGT turbo back to BD for $450.

You do not have to lift the cab to do the conversion. Its a little tight to get that 6.4 out. The Cummins is a cake walk to slide right in. It gets a little tight on the Cummins turbo side because of the intercooler piping and the AC lines fighting for the same space. I did a lot of mockups with everything to get the fit just right. But the Cummins looks factory sitting in the engine bay.
A few tips:
To weld Aluminized piping, fuel lines and intercooler piping. Pour Muriatic acid, not the tame stuff, but the strong stuff, into a flat bottom plastic container to about a 1/2'' level. Then dip the end of the piping flatly into the acid. There will be a lot of off gassing. Have plenty ventilation and follow the Muriatic acid precautions. It will only take about 15 seconds for the aluminum to burn off. Now you can weld the piping and paint your weld.

To the transition from the Ford fuel supply lines to the Cummins Fuel filter. Cut off the quick connect ends of the Cummins fuel lines. Then measure and cut the amount of the fuel line you need from the 6.4 engine fuel lines and weld to the Cummins lines.

I am Towing Combined Gross Total Weight nearing 30,000 lbs. What a truck! Especially for the money.

Have DCS remove the tuning fee from the package and go to fumminstuning.com for the tuning. My truck is listed in customer rides.
Fully functional dash.
5R110 has no idea its hooked to a Cummins.
The only way to know its a conversion is to raise the hood!

Happy to help anyone if they have any questions about the conversion.

Reactions: Over's
#63 ·
I picked up a very clean '08 F450 5R110 150K miles Lariat 4x4. Blown 6.4. for $8k.

Found an '08 6.7 Cummins complete engine 103K miles for $4500. A donor Ram truck could be better because you get all the little things like the Cummins down pipe to mate to the 6.4 exhaust and other odds and ends.

DCS Conversion kit $5000. Sold 6.4 engine for $1500 and bought a BD Iron horn turbo. Sold VGT turbo back to BD for $450.

You do not have to lift the cab to do the conversion. Its a little tight to get that 6.4 out. The Cummins is a cake walk to slide right in. It gets a little tight on the Cummins turbo side because of the intercooler piping and the AC lines fighting for the same space. I did a lot of mockups with everything to get the fit just right. But the Cummins looks factory sitting in the engine bay.
A few tips:
To weld Aluminized piping, fuel lines and intercooler piping. Pour Muriatic acid, not the tame stuff, but the strong stuff, into a flat bottom plastic container to about a 1/2'' level. Then dip the end of the piping flatly into the acid. There will be a lot of off gassing. Have plenty ventilation and follow the Muriatic acid precautions. It will only take about 15 seconds for the aluminum to burn off. Now you can weld the piping and paint your weld.

To the transition from the Ford fuel supply lines to the Cummins Fuel filter. Cut off the quick connect ends of the Cummins fuel lines. Then measure and cut the amount of the fuel line you need from the 6.4 engine fuel lines and weld to the Cummins lines.

I am Towing Combined Gross Total Weight nearing 30,000 lbs. What a truck! Especially for the money.

Have DCS remove the tuning fee from the package and go to fumminstuning.com for the tuning. My truck is listed in customer rides.
Fully functional dash.
5R110 has no idea its hooked to a Cummins.
The only way to know its a conversion is to raise the hood!

Happy to help anyone if they have any questions about the conversion.
A 12v backed by a zf6 in a 2008-2010 superduty would be great.. just alot of hassle

#64 ·
Don't get me wrong, but with DCS conversion and Fumminstuning.com tuning an '08-10 6.7 Cummins in an '08-10 Super Duty is the only way to go. It's very straight forward using the stout 5R110 automatic. I also believe it's less work and finding a manual truck in good condition would limit available trucks. And changing a truck over from auto to manual would certainly be a lot of work. Used 5r110 are only $800. The ZF6-750 is over $2k rebuilt plus a core.

With my 6.7 Cummins install running the Cummins viscosity fan I only needed to take 2" out of the drive shaft at the tranny. Move the transmission mount to the back holes that the manual trans uses. Reconfigure the trans dip filler tube. Cut the transmission cooler tubing near the transmission. Use 1/2 compression AN fittings and hose. Slip heater hose over the AN hose for added protection and route pass the engine mount up to the cut off lines at the bumper just before they 90 up. Install AN compression fittings to mate to the hoses. Tranny DONE.
DCS supplies a new engine harness to plug into the Ford engine side of the PCM which also plugs into the modified Cummins engine harness. Only one wire needs splicing into the body side of the Ford PCM. The Cummins needs the Dodge TIPIM module to communicate with the Cummins PCM, which plugs into the Cummins harness and has an OBD2 port that you install in the cab at the Ford's OBD2 location.
A Tach helper is supplied to run the Ford Tach. That's a couple of wires.
Cruise Helper is supplied for setting up cruise control using a Ford cruise servo on the fuel pedal. That has about 7 well detailed taps to make.
A pedal module is supplied that is plug and play that splits the Ford pedal output into a signal that mimics the Cummins fuel pedal and supplies information so the 5R110 knows what to do.
You retain and use the Ford starter, Ford Alternator, power steering pump.
Dodge AC compressor. Ford fuel supply system feeds the Cummins fuel filter. Double filtration.

Fummins Tuning brings it all together.

And what's really sweet is you can order from a drive thru and not have to shut your truck off😁

#65 ·
I would just like to say that my 2004 6 speed has been the best truck I've ever owned ( and there have been a lot). Unfortunately for me, my age and physical abilities have forced me to change my ways. I would love for you to contact me to review and possibly buy it. I'm the second owner and have kept this truck in tip-top shape. Please feel free to contact me at arizim06@gmail.com or call at 623-512-2699.
W. Lee Zimmerman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.