Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started smelling fuel by the drivers tire wednesday. Noticed mileage dropped WAY down, pulled dipstick out 3" inches past the full mark. Oil was "thin" smelled like fuel. So told one of my buddies about it. He also has a 05 with endless mods...he told me it sounded like a cracked injector body and to change my oil to see how much oil was in the crankcase. Well when I changed my oil I damn near filled up a 5 gallon buck of the fuel/oil mixture.

I've only had my truck 7 weeks so I called the dealership I bought it at and told them about it. They asked for the VIN and the mileage and said "Yeah its covered bring it up we'll take care of it, AS LONG AS ITS NOT ALL CHIPPED UP." I told them this is the truck that had all the mods already on it when you sold it to me!!! He says "O, well go ahead and bring it up we'll take care of it."

I couldn't belive they would warranty the injectors with all the mods on it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine is at the stealership right now! It has some goodies on it too haha

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
Wow I cant either, must be a decent dealer.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
It's wild how many CR's have injector problems.

Go with a good fuel filter and take it easy with the pressure boxes.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I wouldn't run that MP-8, too much pressure on these stock sticks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I get the truck back the injectors are getting sent out to be extrude honed.:thumbsup:

Talked to the mechanic there yesterday, said that it was number 3 injector. There going to replace the injector and the connector tube. Did a compression test everything was good so hopefully didn't damage a piston or rings.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
When I get the truck back the injectors are getting sent out to be extrude honed.:thumbsup:

Talked to the mechanic there yesterday, said that it was number 3 injector. There going to replace the injector and the connector tube. Did a compression test everything was good so hopefully didn't damage a piston or rings.
JMO, but I'd wait to get the extrude honed tips. Whatever caused the damage to the #3 injector body could have easily damaged other injectors, and once you do the nozzles, your warranty on the injectors is gone.

Unless the injectors have been replaced before you bought the truck, you now have 5 old style Bosch injectors and 1 of the new updated ones. Probably the best thing that could happen, would be that you have some more problems so that the dealer just bites the bullet and replaces the other 5 so you have a matching set of the new, better injectors.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So I have a question for all of you.

I was told by a Cummins mechanic. Not a dodge, but a cummins guy that works on mostly generators. He told me when the small block common rails came out they had a problem. When an injector cracks or goes out. Unlike the older styles the injector is pretty much stuck wide open. So you toast a cyclinder. The bigger motors use to be like that and they ended up fixing them with a check valve built into the injector to cause them to miss rather than toast a cyclinder. He was pretty sure the smaller motors have not had this fix.

Is this true from what you guys have heard about these injectors? If so when you loose an injector and toast a piston under 100k will they do a rebuild under warranty?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
It is rare for a stock truck to toast a piston, but if it happens yes they will rebuild or replace with a reman engine.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JMO, but I'd wait to get the extrude honed tips. Whatever caused the damage to the #3 injector body could have easily damaged other injectors, and once you do the nozzles, your warranty on the injectors is gone.

Unless the injectors have been replaced before you bought the truck, you now have 5 old style Bosch injectors and 1 of the new updated ones. Probably the best thing that could happen, would be that you have some more problems so that the dealer just bites the bullet and replaces the other 5 so you have a matching set of the new, better injectors.
Well my warranty is only going to last another 1400 mile after I get the truck back anyway.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Well my warranty is only going to last another 1400 mile after I get the truck back anyway.
Wow, you got #3 replaced just in time!

Did they do a return flow test on all the injectors?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know if they did yet or not, but I'll call them Monday and mention it to them. I let their main mechanic get some answers off me on a bunch of english tests so he treats me good. He did a compression check on all 6 though and said they were all good.

·
Registered
247 Posts
nice to see a dealer can close there eyes to a few mods!

hey were spending big money on these rigs, sure be nice to get the warrenty your paying for!!!!

:thumbsup:

nice to see someone put there money where their mouth is. didos to the dealership on that one. (by the way stealership is not always the right tag)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts