Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

5th Wheel ?

981 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  haulin-rv
I have a 08 MC 3500 SRW 4x4 and would like to know what a good/safe pin weight is for a 5th wheel. All the dealers say I can tow anything on their lot, but when I do the math it looks like I have a max pin weight of 1700-1800#.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Pursuing the Great Commission
12,714 Posts

· Registered
4,642 Posts
the limiting factor is going to be the SRW

i have a mega DRW and a buddy has a quad cab DRW both 06 his GVWR is 2000 lbs higher than mine just bc i have a mega cab??? now go figure that out for me. your GVW is prob 9,900 or 10,100 for a SRW

take your GVWR minus the weight of the truck and thats your payload. now weigh the truck with everything in it, fuel, kids, wife, hitch, coolers, tools, etc subtract that from you GVWR and that is what your pin weight can be.

dont use the hitch/pin wt given by the rv mfg as that is for an empty rv, no clothes, propane, and stuff.

easy way to figure loaded hitch wt is take 15% of the trailers GVWR

· Registered
845 Posts
And on a Mega its not that much with the 10,500 gvwr. But at least they gave us a 9350 pound rear axle rating (dually).

Anyway that is a real bad idea on the dealers part saying that, with a SRW you biggest issue is tire capacity. While sure the truck will tow it, if you overload the tires and get a blow out at 65 mph that could catastrophic. I always watch my rear axle weights to stay under the rating and within the capacity of the tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.