Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Researching options for a future 5th wheel...

I have a 2015 Laramie Short Box and I'm trying to decide whether it's better to go with the Reese Sidewinder Hitch Box or a B&W Companion Slider. I'm leaning towards the Sidewinder because, in my mind, the weight of the trailer remains over the axle at all times and I won't have to get out to reset the sliding hitch when I'm backing into my drive or making tight corners.

Would love some sounding boards to tell me my logic is either right on or educate me better. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,203 Posts
Hands down, it's the sidewinder hitch.

Or, just go with the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch.

I use the Andersen, but if I pulled the same trailer all the time I would definitely do the sidewinder.

·
Registered
817 Posts
If you go the sliding hitch route, go with an automatic slider so you don't need to sweat those tight turns you come across at some gas stations, shopping centers, and the like. I ponied up the extra bucks and when with the PullRite SuperGlide. You only need to buy it once and after five years of pulling, I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have been using the Sidewinder since I got my truck. I wasn't going to get a 5th wheel at the time so I got the RAM Boxes. Well, after that I wanted to get a 5th wheel. Did a bunch of research and at the time there wasn't a lot of information, if any, on how to use a 5th wheel with the RAM Boxes. FCA would not even put the hitch prep in the truck because of that. Anyway, I had a good RV tech guy help me with coming up with a solution. So, we installed a Reese 16K pro standard hitch in the truck and the Sidewinder. Being nervous about all of this, it worked out great. My 5th wheel never came close to hitting the cab or the sides of the bed due to the RAM Boxes. So, I was happy. I never used a standard 5th wheel hitch so my experiences with the Sidewinder is all I know. Because of the lockout plate, you really have to come in straight to hitch up. Lots of practice. Even to this day, It still takes me a couple of tries before I am in straight. Very rare on the first time. But, that's me. I was pretty much forced with the Sidewinder because of the RAM Boxes. In the case of not having them, and with a short bed, I would go with a conventional hitch only if I knew that the 5th wheel wasn't going to hit the cab. And, the only way to know that is to have the hitch installed and try it. Most 5th wheels now have indentations on both sides that should keep the RV from hitting the cab. How good that works, I don't know. I took my RV in for service a couple years ago and they bent my bolt on my lockout plate, with their forklift, to the point that they had to replace my Sidewinder hitch. I was really mad about that. Got a new one put on and the bolt holes to install the hitch had bad threads and the bolts wouldn't go in. They found me another one, and my plate that goes on the bottom of the hitch didn't fit right due to a slight difference with the manufacturing specs of this one (Made in Mexico). It was hard to find this hitch so, I agreed to cut about a 1/8" off to make it fit. No problem with that. But, if I ever have to replace it again, it will have to be cut again. My advice, is to remove your lockout plate and install bolts to lock out the hitch so it doesn't move when they pick it up, EVERY TIME YOU TAKE IT IN FOR SERVICE. Don't assume that they will lock it out for you, even though they will assure you they have a pin to use. Lessons learned. Now, after all this, I like my hitch for a worry free pulling experience. Never had a problem with staying hitched good, and with some periodic greasing, as recommended, all is well.:)

·
Registered
268 Posts
+1 on Sidewinder.

Same situation as post above as I have RamBoxes. Sometimes I get lucky and can line up on the first try but usually takes a couple of tries. In the beginning it was a process and challenging enough that I thought I made a bad decision or something was wrong, but I learned in time and it is great.

Never have to worry about turning too sharp as I can go past 90 degrees which is not easy to do anyway as full lock on this Megacab truck is not that sharp a turn anyway. Plus not great for trailer tires and axles to go that sharp anyway as the tires can actually drag.

Plus added bonus of being able to remove and install hitch with two people relatively easily as it is two pieces as opposed to a 200 pound slider hitch that would probably live in my bed if I had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: manchustegui

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Just like the other two posters above, I have ramboxes. I will never buy another truck without them. The nice thing about the Sidewinder is it turns at the fifth wheel and not the hitch. It acts more like a trailer when it comes to turning it. The other bonus thing is you can actually put other stuff in the bed of your truck and not worry about clearances as much and getting hit by the pin box. Hooking up now is no problem. First try everytime. Its definitely worth the price of entry.

R.K.
IMG_2803.JPG

·
Registered
189 Posts
We pull a 35ft 5th wheel with a 5th Airborne Sidewinder.
It works great and this trailer is more responsive to back than a previous shorter 5th wheel without a Sidewinder.

Reactions: manchustegui
1 - 10 of 10 Posts