Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to purchase my first 5th wheel toy hauler. Ive had bumper pulls for years but finally stepping up. Looking for a hitch for my 2016 CC short bed. Not trying to break the bank either. Thx

·
Registered
212 Posts
About to purchase my first 5th wheel toy hauler. Ive had bumper pulls for years but finally stepping up. Looking for a hitch for my 2016 CC short bed. Not trying to break the bank either. Thx

Not knowing which brand vehicle you own, does it have a prep kit installed? If so, there are many good options that will drop in and you're done. I'm seriously looking at a Reese goosebox setup for our next 5r. All that is installed in the truck is a gooseball and chain attachments. BW makes a kit that is vehicle specific and for about $200 you have a quality, made in USA kit, that removes when you're done. Although the goosebox needs to be purchased you're still likely spending the same as if you buy a standard hitch for the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the lonestar packge in the 2500. No 5r prep. Was wonderng if a slider hitch would be required. I have lookedatt the goosebox but thats currently outside of my price range since I would have to still buy the b&w turn over hitch and have it installed. The boss lady has me on a budget. Lol and the trailer is eating up all of that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Whether you need a slider is certainly a debatable topic. In most cases, you can get away with a gooseneck as long as you have a recent toy hauler. Pretty much all of them these days are coming with really rounded fronts to coincide with short beds being the most common pick up. However, you REALLY need to be 100% confident that your current trailer won't touch your cab if you need to make a sharp turn approaching 90 degrees.

I see plenty of "optimistic" folks saying that you should never need to make a 90 degree turn, its rough on the trailer wheels, etc. That might all be true, but sometimes the world doesn't work out that way and the only way you can get out of a traffic jam, closed road, or even back up into a spot is by doing a 90 degree turn. And the one time you need to do it, whatever setup you have that actually works will pay for itself 20x over.

I bought a slider hitch for my 5th wheel and short bed 2500. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with a gooseneck because I am 100% sure I would be OK with this trailer. Honestly, I have zero issues with my slider but as many know, they are a LOT more expensive and a LOT heavier to get in and out of the bed. I could have saved a ton of money and back aches, but its doing the job just fine regardless.

So if you think you have the clearance and hopefully find others pulling that same trailer with a short bed and no slider, then go for the gooseneck. Otherwise, you should think about a slider unless you won't mind smashing your cab and/or the trailer. Either way, I think you might end up spending the same amount of money depending on the final setup.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speaking of gooseneck hitches, of course I read where the gooseneck adapter, not the goosebox, will put alot of stress on the front frame of the trailer. That was how I was wanting to go. Has anyone had any issues with the frames cracking from using a gooseneck adapter? I see alot of them out there but havent really spoke with anyone about them. This was due to always having a bumper pull and never really thought about a 5th wheel till my new trailer flooded a few months ago during Imelda. Thats the second trailer Ive lost in the last 2.5 years due to a damn hurricane or tropical storm.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,348 Posts
It also depends on the trailer you buy......many of the mfgr's are designing their trailers with the front corners cut back/rounded off because short bed trucks have become so popular......

Sam

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven’t heard of anyone having trouble with the goose adapter. That being said, the manufacturer will void your warranty against any frame damage that occurs if they find out it had the adapter on it. I asked several dealers in my area when I purchased my new 5th wheel. In the end I purchased a new B&W slider. Like others have said it is really heavy but works good.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not knowing which brand vehicle you own, does it have a prep kit installed? If so, there are many good options that will drop in and you're done. I'm seriously looking at a Reese goosebox setup for our next 5r. All that is installed in the truck is a gooseball and chain attachments. BW makes a kit that is vehicle specific and for about $200 you have a quality, made in USA kit, that removes when you're done. Although the goosebox needs to be purchased you're still likely spending the same as if you buy a standard hitch for the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Goosebox all the way! When I traded my SuperDuty for my Ram, (both with the factory prep) the hitch in the Ford would not work in the Ram, and I had been wanting an excuse to try the Goosebox, so...........Yup. Installed the Goosebox on the fiver and have not looked back.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Speaking of gooseneck hitches, of course I read where the gooseneck adapter, not the goosebox, will put alot of stress on the front frame of the trailer. That was how I was wanting to go. Has anyone had any issues with the frames cracking from using a gooseneck adapter? I see alot of them out there but havent really spoke with anyone about them. This was due to always having a bumper pull and never really thought about a 5th wheel till my new trailer flooded a few months ago during Imelda. Thats the second trailer Ive lost in the last 2.5 years due to a damn hurricane or tropical storm.
If you’re talking about an Anderson ultimate hitch, they won’t cause cracking, but some trailer manufacturers will try to void your warranty if you use them. The adapters that cause cracking are the ones that lower the attachment point significantly that creates a longer arm that the typical 5th wheel frame isn’t designed for.

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
You guys suggesting the goosebox aren't considering that this is for a 2500 short bed, will not give the turn radius clearance needed.

On a long bed, it'll work fine.

OP, no matter which hitch you go with, you do know you will also have to mount some kind of apparatus in the truck bed to attach it to, either a gooseneck ball mount, or a set of hitch rails, right?

If you put in a gooseneck ball mount, turnover ball or whatever style, then a number of hitches can be attached to a gooseneck ball, Andersen ultimate and B&W are the most popular.

I am using the Andersen hitch, keeps me from needing a slider hitch and is very lightweight and easy to use.

·
Cummins Dude
2,692 Posts
I posted this on another thread, but if you’re wanting to consider a hitch, The Anderson Ultimate is a great choice.
I just got rid of my heavy, bulky, Pullright 2900 Slider and went with the Anderson Ultimate. They make 2 versions. One is the Model #3200 rail mount version, which I chose because I already had the bed rails, and the Model 3220 5th wheel prep version. Model 3200 is rated to tow 20,000 lbs. Model 3220 is rated at 24,000 lbs.

My 3200 Model hitch only weighs 40 lbs. Easily removed and carried with one hand. This hitch, by design, offsets the ball giving lots of clearance for towing with our short box trucks. The hitch mount is also reversible front to back for more clearance. Set up is a cinch! Towing is amazing. The ball height is also adjustable for side rail clearance needs. Because of reduced moving parts, the connection reduces chucking and noise. Price is VERY reasonable as well.

This hitch was recommended to me by @Ltngdrvr who tows 5th wheels for a living.
I really like this set-up as well!

Here’s a link for those that may be interested in this version.
https://andersenhitches.com/Products...l-version.aspxA

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking online it says these truck come with the plate already built in for a turn over hitch. Is that what this is?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all in the input guys.

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
Looking online it says these truck come with the plate already built in for a turn over hitch. Is that what this is?
That's where the hitch mounts, but that cross member isn't all you need.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The trailer Im looking to buy is a Palomino Puma unleashed 381FTB TH.

·
Registered
13,416 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like this Anderson Ultimate Hitch. Its priced well within my budget.

·
Registered
13,416 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You would need this to go under the truck bed> https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck/Ram/2500/2016/BWGNRK1384.html?VehicleID=201621569

And then the hitch to mount to that.

Not a fan of the Aluminum Andersen gooseneck mounted hitch, too many reports of bed deflection , torquing down connection bolts etc etc. Although I do like ,and have the rail mount Andersen for a short bed Ram 3500

If I were the OP starting from scratch , it would be either installing the OE puck system, and a conventional slider hitch that mounts to the pucks at all four points. Or more the economical bed rails ,and the rail mount Andersen , as shown in the pictures above.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts