Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have decided on the Momentum 320G 5th wheel toy hauler.

This will be my first 5th wheel so I am a little green on the hitches. I would like the experts opinions on this.

Now when I ordered my truck, I thought I would never need the 5th wheel prep...4 years later I am trading in our bumper pull for 5th wheel. I see I can install the 4 pucks or gooseneck plate from Mopar.

My main question is what hitch will work with my short bed?

It appears from watching youtube that I have 3 options, rated from best to worst...?

1- Goose ball + Goosebox that replaces the king pin. Might need an offset ball for a short bed?

2- Goose ball + Gooseneck adapter that hooks onto the king pin- Like the B&W companion.

2b- Goose ball +Goosneck adapter with 2 pieces like the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel system

3- Standard 5th wheel hitch that goes into the puck system.

I am leaning towards option 1 as it looks like the best setup, cleanest bed and softest ride. Would I need an offset ball with the short bed?

·
Registered
378 Posts
If it were me I would choose option number one because it is the cleanest. I went with option number 2b because it was slightly cheaper. I had no clearance issues with my megacab. However I didn't like towing with a short bed so I sold my 14 mega and am picking up a leftover 18 dually w/ 8' bed tonight. I wanted to have some more space for items to go in the bed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did 2b, quite happy with it. When we pick up a heavier camper/toy hauler, I will do Numba 1.

·
Supporting Vendors
156 Posts
I went with the sliding 5th wheel hitch with my mega cab. I feel the weight of these heavy things should be on the 5th wheel hitch rather then a ball but that's just my opinion. Plenty of folks running on the goosenecks with no issues.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,360 Posts
We have decided on the Momentum 320G 5th wheel toy hauler.

This will be my first 5th wheel so I am a little green on the hitches. I would like the experts opinions on this.

Now when I ordered my truck, I thought I would never need the 5th wheel prep...4 years later I am trading in our bumper pull for 5th wheel. I see I can install the 4 pucks or gooseneck plate from Mopar.

My main question is what hitch will work with my short bed?

It appears from watching youtube that I have 3 options, rated from best to worst...?

1- Goose ball + Goosebox that replaces the king pin. Might need an offset ball for a short bed?

2- Goose ball + Gooseneck adapter that hooks onto the king pin- Like the B&W companion.

2b- Goose ball +Goosneck adapter with 2 pieces like the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel system

3- Standard 5th wheel hitch that goes into the puck system.

I am leaning towards option 1 as it looks like the best setup, cleanest bed and softest ride. Would I need an offset ball with the short bed?

Verify that the goosebox will fit your trailer, unless things have changed from a couple of years ago, it only fits trailers with a Lippert chassis......

Sam

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
I went with the sliding 5th wheel hitch with my mega cab. I feel the weight of these heavy things should be on the 5th wheel hitch rather then a ball but that's just my opinion. Plenty of folks running on the goosenecks with no issues.
Just curious about why you feel that an RV 5th wheel would be better than a gooseneck ball because of pin weight.

Obviously there's a point when the weight per square inch becomes too much for a ball, but that's probably not until reaching way over the axle rating of a pickup. Way over.

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
I have a Mega Cab and tow lots of different 5th wheel trailers, I use the andersen hitch and the factory gooseneck setup to mount it. It works just fine, but you can't make a 90* articulation, but you really shouldn't get yourself in a situation where that becomes necessary. The trailers ride just fine.

Now, in my opinion, the ultimate short bed 5th wheel setup is the reese sidewinder pin box and a standard 5th wheel hitch.

I would use one, but I change trailers once or twice a week, and they aren't my trailers, so it's just not practical.

But, the sidewinder solves all the towing issues of short bed trucks.

And, btw, sliding hitches SUCK!!! They are noisy, heavy and most are a PITA to operate.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see people mention needing to be @ 90 degrees often. Is the towing dynamics of a 5th wheel so different that it's required to be @ 90s degrees? Overall vehicle length should be about the same or slightly shorter than my 34' tow behind now. I never needed to go over maybe 50 degrees. And if I do have to go that much, it's not the end of the world to try and complete the move in a couple tries.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
I often go to 90, and beyond, because it often makes it quicker and easier to maneuver a trailer in some situations.

But obviously few really need to go to 90 degrees, or bumper pulls wouldn't be usable at all.

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
As has been discussed before, 90 degree turns can be very hard on the trailer frame and tires, twisting the frame, scrubbing the tires.

But, as I stated above, the reese sidewinder will even allow those 90* turns.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,360 Posts
I see people mention needing to be @ 90 degrees often. Is the towing dynamics of a 5th wheel so different that it's required to be @ 90s degrees? Overall vehicle length should be about the same or slightly shorter than my 34' tow behind now. I never needed to go over maybe 50 degrees. And if I do have to go that much, it's not the end of the world to try and complete the move in a couple tries.
This works fine as long as you don't forget.......:wink2:

Sam

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just picked up a 349m from Good Life RV about a month ago. We picked up a new 2018 3500 Megacab a few weeks before we left and I installed a B&W turnover ball and went with the Anderson Ultimate adapter in the bed. I also installed a set of Airlift 5000 bags before we left. The whole system worked great on the 1700 mile trip home and there's really nothing I would change as of yet.

·
Administrator
7,067 Posts
I will add, that the B&W turnover ball is a better product than the OEM. Heavier duty (6 bolt versus 4). And you can use your choice of Andersen Ultimate or B&W Companion with it. I went Companion and love it. Best hitch I’ve ever had. But some prefer lighter hitches. It all depends what is important to you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We use a Demco auto slider mounted in the factory pucks. Definitely heavy and we have a hoist setup in the garage which makes it easy to install and remove as needed. The slider is not noisy at all once adjusted properly. We also use the Trailair air ride pin box which helps soften the bumps on the trailer. With the nose of many of these 5th wheels curved in on the sides, I’m not sure how much the slider is really needed but I’m not willing to find out. Would like to find a comparable lighter weight setup but what we have works well and sits below our hard tonneau when not in use. Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I use a slider Curt 5th hitch for the Ram puck system on my short bed MegaCab, easy to use if you need too. I’ve only maybe 3 time in two years used the slider.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
I will add, that the B&W turnover ball is a better product than the OEM. Heavier duty (6 bolt versus 4).
Ain't that the truth. B&W definitely had the right idea.

It was a real disappointment when I first saw a factory setup (ordered because of laziness, really), but at least some of its drawbacks could be fixed with a B&W ball and anchors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
New to this site

I have an 18 3500 crew cab 6.4 box, I went with 2b.
I have a similar fifth wheel camper, and so far I have only made about 3 3hr pulls with the anderson ultimate fifth wheel.
I went with the Anderson to cut down on Payload, That momentum is heavy trailer! I have no regrets, trailer pulls fine.
the Truck handled the camper great, just the cummins doesn't have the power of my previous tow vehicle.
I haven't had an issue with needing more than turning radius that i can achieve with the Anderson.
Hook up i so nice an simple, don't need to be straight on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Verify that the goosebox will fit your trailer, unless things have changed from a couple of years ago, it only fits trailers with a Lippert chassis......

Sam
Lippert builds about 90% of all the trailer chassis out there nowadays. They've pretty much bought out all the competition.

I recently purchased my first 5th wheel trailer. I had intended doing #1 but at the last minute when I was getting ready to buy the trailer I had to stop and pay for my son's surgery instead.
So I ended up buying the cheapest 5th wheel hitch and mounting system I could find. I will be going with the gooseneck system as soon as funds are available because I will regain my bed space back. I can take my hitch apart with two pins and take it out of the back of the truck but it's still harder/more time consuming thanjust remove a ball and turn it over. The new Goosebox has an air ride system so it rides even better than most 5th wheel hitches from what the reviews I've been reading.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,360 Posts
Lippert builds about 90% of all the trailer chassis out there nowadays. They've pretty much bought out all the competition.

I recently purchased my first 5th wheel trailer. I had intended doing #1 but at the last minute when I was getting ready to buy the trailer I had to stop and pay for my son's surgery instead.
So I ended up buying the cheapest 5th wheel hitch and mounting system I could find. I will be going with the gooseneck system as soon as funds are available because I will regain my bed space back. I can take my hitch apart with two pins and take it out of the back of the truck but it's still harder/more time consuming thanjust remove a ball and turn it over. The new Goosebox has an air ride system so it rides even better than most 5th wheel hitches from what the reviews I've been reading.
I have one of the 10% you speak of....made by Dexter:| The goosebox looks like a neat deal but no go for me. My companion hitch is quiet and bullet proof and of course quite heavy, but a chain hoist for lifting the hitch in and out, makes the weight a non issue.

Sam

1 - 20 of 160 Posts