Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't imagine these wouldn't fit our 4th gen trucks and would be a an aesthetic "upgrade" compared to the prior Mopar factory version with clear "egg shaped" housings - I watched a video on Youtube and looks like they make these to look almost identical to the stock lights -

I really would like to get some pictures of the set (not stock photos on a website), backside of the lights, and the template, would like to compare them to the actual 5th gen lights, which we know are not easily able to be fitted to our trucks because of the square holes needing to be made.

I haven't found a video or thread reviewing these being installed as "fresh install" and making the holes, but per GoRecon - "2 small screw holes and a 1/4" round hole" so sounds similar to the Mopar version being installed on trucks now -

I emailed them for a copy of install instructions and maybe more details pics of wiring and template, etc -

At the end of the day I probably am not ballsy enough to drill 15 holes in my roof but I didn't know if anyone wanted the "5th gen update" look and wanted to try these -

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
9,383 Posts
I honestly hadn't even looked at the newer cab lights, what did they change on them besides lense? make them LED (finally)?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And yes Loki they made them LED and a bit lower profile - if you saw the new trucks you would notice the difference - subtle but nice

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
I can't imagine these wouldn't fit our 4th gen trucks and would be a an aesthetic "upgrade" compared to the prior Mopar factory version with clear "egg shaped" housings - I watched a video on Youtube and looks like they make these to look almost identical to the stock lights -

I really would like to get some pictures of the set (not stock photos on a website), backside of the lights, and the template, would like to compare them to the actual 5th gen lights, which we know are not easily able to be fitted to our trucks because of the square holes needing to be made.

I haven't found a video or thread reviewing these being installed as "fresh install" and making the holes, but per GoRecon - "2 small screw holes and a 1/4" round hole" so sounds similar to the Mopar version being installed on trucks now -

I emailed them for a copy of install instructions and maybe more details pics of wiring and template, etc -

At the end of the day I probably am not ballsy enough to drill 15 holes in my roof but I didn't know if anyone wanted the "5th gen update" look and wanted to try these -

I did see someone here installed them on a truck that already had the pre-2019 kit (I believe it was in the 3rd Gen section). The “fresh install” kit definitely has round holes to drill, and they are LED units (not replacement bulbs). If you already have cab lights, the spacing for the screw holes is different than the pre-2019, so you have to drill 5 new holes.
I have a set of these ordered, since my factory clear mopar lenses finally all cracked. I’ll get some pics of the backside of them. I also have one factory 2019+ light unit that I can get a side by side pic of for you.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did see someone here installed them on a truck that already had the pre-2019 kit (I believe it was in the 3rd Gen section). The “fresh install” kit definitely has round holes to drill, and they are LED units (not replacement bulbs). If you already have cab lights, the spacing for the screw holes is different than the pre-2019, so you have to drill 5 new holes.
I have a set of these ordered, since my factory clear mopar lenses finally all cracked. I’ll get some pics of the backside of them. I also have one factory 2019+ light unit that I can get a side by side pic of for you.
Jimmy this would be excellent of you and the comparison pics would be super helpful! I am just curious on the quality of gasket, housing, plastic, compared to OEM 19+ unit, as well as the fresh install template - they do look the part on the website

I will look in the 3rd Gen forum to see if I can find the guy who installed those on his truck

I would go with the smoked lens to avoid yellowing over time -

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Jimmy this would be excellent of you and the comparison pics would be super helpful! I am just curious on the quality of gasket, housing, plastic, compared to OEM 19+ unit, as well as the fresh install template - they do look the part on the website

I will look in the 3rd Gen forum to see if I can find the guy who installed those on his truck

I would go with the smoked lens to avoid yellowing over time -
Here’s some comparisons between the recon fresh install 2019+ cab light and factory 2019+ cab light. The factory light is on the left. They are the exact same size and shape (factory looks bigger in the pic because it is sitting a little bit higher than the recon). They both have the same thickness closed cell foam gasket material, one is a little darker. Factory uses two LEDs, recon uses four. I did my best for phone pics with some different lighting, but to me, they are the exact same color. I’d say the factory light is a little bit brighter. I’ve got a spare 2017 tow mirror laying around somewhere, I’ll try to get some pics to see if the light color matches the turn signal color.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jimmy thanks for posting these man these are super helpful! As well, the smaller "main hole" is a big plus - the comparison is great and really appreciate you putting these together for me and the forum - let me know if you get these installed, I am a ways out from doing this myself but glad to know an OEM+ looking option is out there

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Well...first morning after install = condensation inside the recon lenses-

The unit itself is sealed, kind of like a headlight housing, so it’s not the gasket to roof. It’s gotta be the factory seal from lens to housing-

I will not recommend these recons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wondering if anyone else has had good luck with these or if they kept working with condensation or if they found a way to seal the housing better, thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I want to go the opposite way and install amber lenses in place of the clear smoked lenses on my 2018 2500. Saw Recon sells a set but this is exactly why I hesitated purchasing them. Just can't trust they'll stand the test of time. Or one night.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
9,383 Posts
I want to go the opposite way and install amber lenses in place of the clear smoked lenses on my 2018 2500. Saw Recon sells a set but this is exactly why I hesitated purchasing them. Just can't trust they'll stand the test of time. Or one night.
If you just want amber lenses, then get the amber lenses

Cab Lamp - Mopar (55077559AE)

That's the part number, for 06-10 trucks, but should fit 10-18 trucks as it was common for the older trucks to steal our lenses and put them on their trucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts