Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!

I currently have a 2015 Megacab which has been a headache the last few years.

In 2016, 18 months into ownership, the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system failed during my honeymoon road trip around Utah.

Fast forward to present day, I’ve had continued issues related to the emissions system.

Long story short, I’ve been approved by FCA for a dealer buy back!!!

My question for all you 5th gen Cummins owners, are y’all having any problems with the emission systems or have they been improved?

I am more than likely to purchase another Mega Cab but Hemi over a Cummins. Deleting isn’t an option and a mega cab Hemi is extremely rare in my state of California.

Thanks in advance for the input.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You can always order what you need. I had to order my 2015 2 door tradesman, with the cummins. My first recall was the SCR. The only other recall I went in for was when the water pump pooped out around 70,000. MIne is deleted and I have no problems. I understand the CA thing. If I was to replace mine, I would go with the 6.4 hemi with the new 8 speed tranny, and suck up the fuel mpg's.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I think there is always a chance of an emissions issue but to be honest, they are solid for the most part. They drink the DEF a lot more.

Compared to the 2015 it’s the same basic system but generally different in how it operates when it comes to the details of operation. Several refinements have been made over the years.

The 6.4 might be a great choice for you in the long run but the jury is still out in the 19+ trucks for the simple fact that they are still so new.

You got lucky on a buy back so that good. Time to do a reset and get back on the road. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'd say go to a hemi and don’t look back.

IMO these emissions systems are still garbage, and they also added a garbage CP4 fuel pump to 2019+.

I wouldn’t have even bought my lemon 2019 if I wouldn’t be able to delete.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As said above there will always be a good chance emissions related issues will arise. Thats what happens when you add more parts to vehicles that are NOT needed, thus more mechanical points to fail. Same is true in the performance aspect of adding parts. They are more reliable than the early pre 13 emissions models if thats what you need to hear. Cp4 is also a known issue in newer diesels.

Reactions: Baja_Creeper

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'd say order a mega cab, 6.4L, 8spd, and 4.10 gears.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
901 Posts
The 5th Gens so far has had no emissions issues. I won't ever buy a gas truck because of the very low MPG's, especially since you are in CA. To each their own though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That’s concerning. At least your getting the buy back. Every brand has lemons, that’s why lemon laws exist. I could never go back to a gasser. If my 2019 crapped out I’ll probably buy another, or a power stroke.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Screw these new diesels. I have an 02 Dodge 3500 dually totally built to haul the mail. I frickin LOVE this truck!!!

I just inherited an 04 four door dually F350 with 47,000 miles. I'll drop the coin to make this truck "bulletproof".

I would never own a DEF diesel....NEVER!

Nothing but problems and the more years that go by, they get worse, not better.

Most worry about fuel mileage, but then the truck burns excess fuel to clean the exhaust system. Makes no sense to me.

Ant new truck I buy will be a gasser. Probably a Hemi. The big one.

To each their own, but I don't understand how burning extra fuel, which has to go out the tailpipe, is an improvement. Emissions per gallon may be less but you're burning more gallons per mile. I guess I'll never understand as I only have a high skool edjucation........

Just my two sense.....

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Screw these new diesels. I have an 02 Dodge 3500 dually totally built to haul the mail. I frickin LOVE this truck!!!

I just inherited an 04 four door dually F350 with 47,000 miles. I'll drop the coin to make this truck "bulletproof".

Most worry about fuel mileage, but then the truck burns excess fuel to clean the exhaust system. Makes no sense to me.

To each their own, but I don't understand how burning extra fuel, which has to go out the tailpipe, is an improvement. Emissions per gallon may be less but you're burning more gallons per mile. I guess I'll never understand as I only have a high skool edjucation........

Just my two sense.....
Never is a long time. Mine has def but not for long.

That said I get pretty damn good mileage for a 8500lb truck. Little better than I could squeeze out of my 12v. But I do miss the 12v. I would not buy a gasser in a 2500.

Uneducated or not, my def truck is getting better fuel mileage than my non def diesel did. Not by much. But it’s better none the less.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Just my two sense.....
Up until March I had a 05 Cummins that I got 263k out of and would have kept driving but after replacing the injectors I had one fail on me and the upkeep was getting too much. I found a 19 Laramie for a great price and got it and have been very impressed. I was one of the guys that loved no emissions or def on my truck, but they have come a long way in a couple of years

My 05 would get 17-17.5 on the highway cruising 70-75 mph my 19 gets 21-22.5 doing the same the same both hand calculated. In fact my 19 gets better mileage at 85mph than my 05 did at 65. Yeah I’ve had to buy def but at $15 bucks for 2.5 gal it’s not a big deal. Guys spend more on fuel additives then the def.

The difference in towing is huge and way better with the 19 than my 05, and I towed a lot with my 05. Sure I miss the 5.9 but I’m getting better mpg with my 19 than I ever did with my non emissions 05.

·
Registered
792 Posts

Just my two sense.....
Well probably the fact that the new truck are much higher performance and more powerful has something to do with extra fuel burned.

I’d be pretty dang happy with a truck that weighs 8,000#, has 1000# of torque, and can haul 35,000# (legally) and get 16-20 mpg. Not to mention all the creature comforts that are available.

Regardless of what some think this is they heydey of the diesel and really automotive world in general.

Never have they been more comfortable, safe and capable than they are right now.

You can want for the “good ole days” all you want but the trucks now are leaps and bounds better than previous generations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts