Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2019 ram 2500 and I have ordered 24x14 wheels and 35 inch tires and I can’t really decide if I need to put a 4.5 inch lift in or do a 6inch suspension lift anyone running a similar setup? Thanks

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
That is going to ride like crap.....

·
Clayton @ DDP Motorsports
3,814 Posts
I have a 2019 ram 2500 and I have ordered 24x14 wheels and 35 inch tires and I can’t really decide if I need to put a 4.5 inch lift in or do a 6inch suspension lift anyone running a similar setup? Thanks
it depends if you want ride quality or to just get it lifted in the air. if you want a suspension that will make your truck ride like a dream i recommend thuren and or carli suspension. Sadly they will probably not fit your desired wheel/tires that you purchased. if you want to get it in the air, then BDS, McGaughys and a few others are what most customers like to purchase. we have a few customers that prefer a set up like you are wanting but the wheel and tire combo will not help with the ride quality but some customers don't care and just go for looks which is not a problem if that is what makes them happy.

Clayton

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it depends if you want ride quality or to just get it lifted in the air. if you want a suspension that will make your truck ride like a dream i recommend thuren and or carli suspension. Sadly they will probably not fit your desired wheel/tires that you purchased. if you want to get it in the air, then BDS, McGaughys and a few others are what most customers like to purchase. we have a few customers that prefer a set up like you are wanting but the wheel and tire combo will not help with the ride quality but some customers don't care and just go for looks which is not a problem if that is what makes them happy.

Clayton
The ride quality isn’t that big of a concern at the moment just getting it up to where it doesn’t rub that bad

·
Clayton @ DDP Motorsports
3,814 Posts
The ride quality isn’t that big of a concern at the moment just getting it up to where it doesn’t rub that bad
Yes sir, understood. then BDS is a kit that we sell quite a few of, McGaughys is as well. holler if you need any assistance with these as im happy to help.

Clayton

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
You are also going to burn through the unit bearings with that much offset. Our trucks don't have real front wheel bearings -- they're preassembled and non-serviceable unit bearing hub assemblies. There was a post last year from a guy with a similar setup complaining that he was going through three or four hub assemblies a year and didn't know what to do about it.

If you want your front wheel bearings to live, you're going to need to install a free spin hub kit with real, serviceable tapered roller bearing sets with appreciable separation between inner and outer bearings.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You probably want a 6” lift. The last thing you’re gonna want to do is cut your fenders or have to deal with not turning sharp. If you’re driving 40k miles a year I probably wouldn’t do this but if you just drive 10-15k a year you’ll be fine. The unit bearings might not last as long as they should but they’ll last long enough the repair bill won’t be a huge deal. Just don’t repair with the cheapest parts you can find and you won’t have the issue Eric is talking about.

·
Registered
6,643 Posts

Clayton
They look good ? Not in my lowly opinion.

You are also going to burn through the unit bearings with that much offset. Our trucks don't have real front wheel bearings -- they're preassembled and non-serviceable unit bearing hub assemblies. There was a post last year from a guy with a similar setup complaining that he was going through three or four hub assemblies a year and didn't know what to do about it.

If you want your front wheel bearings to live, you're going to need to install a free spin hub kit with real, serviceable tapered roller bearing sets with appreciable separation between inner and outer bearings.
If you are going to play, then you have to pay.

·
Registered
42 Posts

$300 plus rims and tires. Please don’t change your 3500 springs for some China junk. I’ve been lifting trucks for over 30 years. You can get away with 1/2 ton trucks but when you are dealing with weight you’ll be eating springs and tires for the life of the truck. This setup will not change any geometry of the suspension or rob you of the ride quantity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,491 Posts
Please don’t change your 3500 springs for some China junk.
It's apparently a 2500, and not a Gen 5 anyway.
We still don't know what a Gen 5 will have for suspension.

Reactions: tryNto

·
Registered
42 Posts
Same difference that’s why everyone above is stating they are eating front end parts ect.... there is still not a kit out there other than custom fabricated that is functional. Don’t get me wrong they look awesome but when your dealing with the weight of a diesel you have to put a lot of thought into it to maintain drivability. Either straight axle or a - arm I fix trucks all the time that look awesome but either ride like a pogo stick or cost the owners small fortunes tires and front end parts. I live in San Diego in the heart of it all. We do Baja 500 and 1000 I’ve fabed for walker evans and even Robby Gordon. I’ve damn there seen it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
881 Posts
Yep I can’t figure out why people call them a Gen 5 and why we have a Gen 5 forum on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
18,491 Posts
Apparently enough members whined about it after the nose job, so the moderators created the very premature Gen 5 section.
From what I understand, the current Gen 5 section will be renamed 4.5, and when the real 5 eventually comes out there will be a legit Gen 5 section.

No matter what, there will be be some upset CF members.

Reactions: 7492

·
Registered
158 Posts
Man I hope I have better stuff to complain about when I’m old.

·
Registered
18,491 Posts
The last thing you’re gonna want to do is cut your fenders...
Some older people have enough skills to cut fenders, so you have something to look forward to.

Reactions: 7492

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
... but when your dealing with the weight of a diesel you have to put a lot of thought into it to maintain drivability. ...
Thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts