Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone successfully mounted a 5th gen 50 gallon fuel tank into their 4th gen truck? This is something i would be interested in doing if it will bolt in.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So a factory 50 gallon from a new truck should fit a 4th gen? Hmmm
My guess is that it will fit no problem, especially for those that no longer have a DEF tank. Im wondering if the mounting straps will be located in the same spots.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This would save me some bucks over an after market 55 gal tank if it would fit. Someone try it!!!!

·
Green Angel
1,212 Posts
I have been looking into this lately. Has anyone had any hard facts on this yet? Says it will only fit the 2020-2021 models, and I am not familiar with the 5th gens at all. Especially to know the differences in this area. Here is the part number I have found so far, and honestly this price is around half the price of the BIG TANK companies. Im sure different straps, shield, etc. will come into play, but. Who has the money to test this, lol?

All prices are rough dollar amounts, depending on website.
68534612AA (50 Gallon Diesel Tank) - $600 Shipped
68397065AC/68397066AC (Straps) - $80 for both Shipped I am unsure on which is front/rear.
68397067AB (Heat Shield) - $70 Shipped Mopar picture shows 2 required, but I have found 3 different part number, and this was the most exp one.

I will keep adding to the parts list as I come across stuff, and find more information.

Another option I found -
68534615AA (50 Gallon Gas Tank) - $500 Shipped

I keep finding a link for a 48 gallon tank (68379698AD), but each time I click the link it rolls back to the 50 gallon? Only thing I can think of is RAM came out with the 48 to match their competitors and then decided to go bigger with the 50 gallon. Mopar websites also show that the 50 gallon part number replaces the 48 gallon part number.

After a bit more research, I checked the part number of a tank for my truck in signature, and it shows it will work on the newer 5th gens, so...

Reactions: Loki223

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I have been looking into this lately. Has anyone had any hard facts on this yet? Says it will only fit the 2020-2021 models, and I am not familiar with the 5th gens at all. Especially to know the differences in this area. Here is the part number I have found so far, and honestly this price is around half the price of the BIG TANK companies. Im sure different straps, shield, etc. will come into play, but. Who has the money to test this, lol?

All prices are rough dollar amounts, depending on website.
68534612AA (50 Gallon Diesel Tank) - $600 Shipped
68397065AC/68397066AC (Straps) - $80 for both Shipped I am unsure on which is front/rear.
68397067AB (Heat Shield) - $70 Shipped Mopar picture shows 2 required, but I have found 3 different part number, and this was the most exp one.

I will keep adding to the parts list as I come across stuff, and find more information.

Another option I found -
68534615AA (50 Gallon Gas Tank) - $500 Shipped

I keep finding a link for a 48 gallon tank (68379698AD), but each time I click the link it rolls back to the 50 gallon? Only thing I can think of is RAM came out with the 48 to match their competitors and then decided to go bigger with the 50 gallon. Mopar websites also show that the 50 gallon part number replaces the 48 gallon part number.

After a bit more research, I checked the part number of a tank for my truck in signature, and it shows it will work on the newer 5th gens, so...
Looks like the fuel sending unit is a different part number, too. In your signature, you have a mega cab. The 50 gallon tank can only be optioned on a crew cab 8’ bed, so it probably won’t fit a mega cab.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
10,195 Posts
the OEM tank should fit in a 13+ truck. 13-18 trucks and 19-21 trucks all share frame, bed, and cab. Unless they changed the mounting locations for the straps on the 20+ trucks, i can't see why it wouldn't work. They might not offer it on 19 and older due to FCA not wanting to program the trucks for the fuel capacity, which can be done with Alfa

·
Green Angel
1,212 Posts
Looks like the fuel sending unit is a different part number, too. In your signature, you have a mega cab. The 50 gallon tank can only be optioned on a crew cab 8’ bed, so it probably won’t fit a mega cab.
Yes mine is the MegaCab, I noticed that today as well on their website, but I really hope this is one of those things where RAM thinks it won't work but it actually will.

the OEM tank should fit in a 13+ truck. 13-18 trucks and 19-21 trucks all share frame, bed, and cab. Unless they changed the mounting locations for the straps on the 20+ trucks, i can't see why it wouldn't work. They might not offer it on 19 and older due to FCA not wanting to program the trucks for the fuel capacity, which can be done with Alfa
This is good news. I thought about running down to a dealership and finding one on the lot and just take a look and compare the differences, but with my new shift at work its rather difficult haha.

·
10,195 Posts
For you it could still be worth checking, just to see strap hanger placement for it and what space it takes up, if all of the additional space is forward, then it shouldn't be a problem, but it could be expanding rearward would could be an issue with your short box. Then again you could always find a rear frame section from a long box and make a MCLB so you know it won't be an issue

·
Green Angel
1,212 Posts
For you it could still be worth checking, just to see strap hanger placement for it and what space it takes up, if all of the additional space is forward, then it shouldn't be a problem, but it could be expanding rearward would could be an issue with your short box. Then again you could always find a rear frame section from a long box and make a MCLB so you know it won't be an issue
I think its worth checking. I have heard nothing but good things about the BIG tank companies, and their tanks look better built and constructed compared to factory. I just cant personally justify $1200+ on a tank install. This is more of a want than a need for me.

Making the truck a long bed would be nice, but there is no way it would ever fit in my garage, she barely fits in now.

Reactions: Loki223

·
Green Angel
1,212 Posts
do those tank p/n include the fuel sending units?
To my knowledge they do NOT. It would be like most RAM parts, each item has its own part number. So if someone ordered one of the above they would just receive the tank.

I did find a local dealer that has a 2021 with a 50 gallon on their lot, but getting there and looking would be the hard part. For some reason local dealerships around here don't want you looking unless you're buying.

·
10,195 Posts
You could tell them you are shopping and wanted to see some stuff. You don't have to tell them what you are shopping for. Heck you can even ask them what is different between your 15 and and the 21 and have a look under to see how much BS they try to spin to get you to buy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Who has successfully re-reprogrammed for the bigger tank? I've been following the threads on these tanks and I've not seen a single person get their computer to read out correctly, they all give up and leave the parameters as they were stock since that gives the most predictable fuel gauge (but no DTE monitoring).

·
10,195 Posts
Who has successfully re-reprogrammed for the bigger tank? I've been following the threads on these tanks and I've not seen a single person get their computer to read out correctly, they all give up and leave the parameters as they were stock since that gives the most predictable fuel gauge (but no DTE monitoring).
Sorry, took a minute to find this info, i knew it was out there but couldn't find it easily

See Below, stolen from a @Jimmy07 post, max value allows is a 50 gallons, even though alfa can adjust higher then that, it doesn't work. But it helps get everything a lot closer if you have a 50 gal tank or bigger

It’s working with 194 in vehconfig 3 (I typed the wrong Config setting) for multiple people. There are only certain numbers that work. Here’s one example with someone who has the 62 gallon-

·
Green Angel
1,212 Posts
EZLynk also does this pretty darn easy. S&B will send you an EZLynk to program for new tank size but you have to send back or pay the core charge.

Reactions: Chirp08

·
Registered
74 Posts
EZLynk also does this pretty darn easy. S&B will send you an EZLynk to program for new tank size but you have to send back or pay the core charge.
Well to my original question, are we talking about DTE reading or just the fuel gauge? We were able to get the fuel gauge fairly close with AlfaOBD from the very beginning. The DTE reading is the issue.

·
10,195 Posts
Well to my original question, are we talking about DTE reading or just the fuel gauge? We were able to get the fuel gauge fairly close with AlfaOBD from the very beginning. The DTE reading is the issue.
As the picture shows, the DTE gets corrected with the fuel gauge

·
Green Angel
1,212 Posts

1 - 20 of 26 Posts