Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a 5spd conversion for my truck for $400 the other day. Already took the man half the cash to secure the sale, he'll get the other half when I pick it up on friday ($400 for almost everything, and he's pullin the parts! SCORE!)

I'd like to know where I should buy the parts I need from, and a good fair price to pay for them.

Things I'm going to need:

It doesnt come with pedals or the slave cylinder, so I'll need those.

I also want to upgrade the input shaft, clutch/flywheel assembly, 5th gear nut and install a rebuild kit while its sitting on the bench.

What should I be paying for these parts, and where can I find them?

· Registered
13 Posts
you will also need to change the input shaft in the transfer case. The auto output shaft is i belive a 23spline and the 5sp output is a 29spline if i do remember right.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you will also need to change the input shaft in the transfer case. The auto output shaft is i belive a 23spline and the 5sp output is a 29spline if i do remember right.
Transfer case will not be an issue, as the manual transfer case is included with the sale:party018:

I know, I got really lucky with this purchase....... My luck usually isnt this good.

· Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like you got ur self a pretty good deal! Im not 100% sure but i think the drive shaft lengths are different too

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you got ur self a pretty good deal! Im not 100% sure but i think the drive shaft lengths are different too
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the way this one went down, I've been tryin to save up the $2000 to buy a swap for a while now, all the while tryin to maintain my other savings account for the unexpected and financial security. Who woulda' thought I'd hit $1800 in my "toys account" and end up finding nearly all the stuff for dirt cheap?......... I smell more mod's on the way!

I'm not real certain on the driveshafts yet, I think I'll take the one he has for the front end, but the truck the swap is coming out of is a short bed (mine is a long bed), so I might have to take mine in to be lengthened. I'm gonna wait to see if I can make what I have work first, I have a driveshaft sittin in the shop, just cant remember what its out of.....

· Registered
13 Posts
HAHA never have i gottn deals like this, not even close!! what hp range are u gonna be shooting for?

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not tryin to get too carried away, its just a daily driver, but I like to plan ahead incase I might want to add more power later.

For now I just want 350-400 hp out of it, that'll be more than I need for ANYTHING currently. I dont race/sled pull or anything like that, i just like givin the rice grinders a run for their money every once in a while.

After I get the 5 spd set up properly I'll throw some injectors in it, maybe a bigger turbo. I've been keepin my go fast urges to a minimum as much as possible so i wouldnt turn the auto into a pink slushy inside, but now I'll be able to get a little more carried away with the stronger tranny.........

Whats a stock auto tranny swap kit worth anyway? I'll probably be sellin mine here pretty soon.

· Registered
13 Posts
idk what the autos are worth, i just did a 5sp swap in mine a month or so ago and the auto has just been sitting in the corner of the shop ever since lol Have you thought about what clutch ur wanting to run?

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'll probably go with a Southbend DD, but I havent really looked into that yet because I wasnt plannin on bein able to afford the swap for another few months.

Kinda hard to wrap my head around just how much I have done to this truck since I've owned it, not to mention the cost of it all. It was bone stock when I bought it last march!

I'll have to keep you in mind when I start the swap, might have a couple questions for ya since it'll still be somewhat fresh in your mind.

· Registered
13 Posts
iv always ran southbend clutches with no problem. If the southbend is too far out of ur price range, give the guys at kennys pulling parts a call. Iv installed a few of his clutches and they seem to be just as good as a southbend and alot cheaper. Another thing i liked about Kennys clutches is that they shift better than the southbends do because Kennys has sinntered iron disks although i have herd SBC now have the sinntered disks as well.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought about goin with a fully ceramic clutch, but after driving my buddy's '02 I've come to realize thats a little too grabby for my taste. Its either engaged or not, there is no in between, I cant stand that.

I'll have to look into Kenny's, I wasnt really too keen on spending $700-$1000 on a clutch kit, If Kenny's is just as good I might have to go that route. Money really isnt a problem, now that I've got $1400 extra to play with, but I dont care who's name is on it if the product is just as good.

· Registered
13 Posts
were getting ready to put Kennys triple disk in our puller and when my Southbend goes out im probly gonna put a Kennys back in it as well. Iv talke to them several times and their great guys to deal with. I hope everything works out for ya, and good luck with ur build!!

Reactions: redneckrebel222

· Registered
9,910 Posts
quad4x4.com can supply you the mainshaft (or kit), pretty much any clutch supplier can sell you the upgraded input shaft with the clutch/flywheel/pressureplate to go with it.

as for the pedals, junkyard is probably the best bet.

If your looking to go 'best of the best', your looking at a couple grand between the clutch and trans internals.

Reactions: redneckrebel222
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.