Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody figured out if the 59 starter is the same as the 67 starter or if it is not what is the difference in them, can something be swaped out to adap it?? It reminds me of the water pump on the 67 not being in stock or availble, do they interchange, same questions??

I called the Dodge dealer and was quoted $1000 for a new starter, Autozone and Oriely were both not in stock for the starter and was from $350 to 400 bucks, somebody told me there are rebuilt starters at Advance Auto for $230 bucks?? Anybody have a best price for a 67 starter?? I have a 59 rebuilt starter and wonder if it fits so i can store in my toolbox with the extra lift airdog i have just in case for long across country trips??? I always thought that the 39 59 67 cummins starters and water pumps interchanged????

·
Registered
55 Posts
well if you got a 5.9 started and a 6.7 truck do a parts comp out only one way to find out

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well if you got a 5.9 started and a 6.7 truck do a parts comp out only one way to find out
Dude, they dont have the starters available to do that down here, typical dodge inventory deal, if it was that easy I would take the 59 starter down to the Orieys or Autozone and compare them on the counter, they are not in stock and have to be ordered in at very high special order no returns deals, thats why I came on here and asked if anybody had tryed to swap one for another to see if they interchange, I called the largest starter rebuilder in Texas CC Battery, they dont carry the starter yet rebuilt, my 39 and 59 cummins motors both use the same starter was wondering if the 67 would interchange, somebody pmed me and said that Discount auto has rebuilt at $200 something but we dont have one, has anybody know if NAPA carrys starters for the 67 cummins in our trucks??? Might be in your best interest to know this know in case you ever lose a starter, you going to be down for a week while one is ordered in and they start at $400 chain store to $1000 at the Dodge dealership!!!!!! Everybody i called had the 59 but did not know if they interchanged or could be adapted easy??

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I was told the only difference is the 6.7 starter is a lower gear reduction for more starting power.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've got a starter from a 5.9 on mine it works fine

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Rock Auto lists the '07 5.9 and all 6.7's as using the same part # for starters.
$518 +core.

Jason

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rock Auto lists the '07 5.9 and all 6.7's as using the same part # for starters.
$518 +core.

Jason
Gees, is that way to high or what, whats the core charge on it?? Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has anybody else bought a starter for a 67 and a 59 lately?/ Where did ou get it and how much was it without core charge? I have no NAPA or Discount auto down here to order one in to compare?? I want to buy one outright for a spare and keep it toolbox on a long across country trip I am about to make?? Has anybody taken one in to a starter shop for a rebuild??

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Why don't you go to whatever parts store you have available and do some research.

You can also buy from several sources online.

Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts