Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- I'm starting a project to transplant a 2002 Dodge 3/4ton chasis with 5.9 Cummins and auto trans under 1959 Dodge 1/2 ton truck sheetmetal. I'm not a mechanic, and am more or less winging it to a large degree, but have some help from an expert mech and fabricator. Here are some initial questions:

1) What do you recommend for replacement gas tank-- frame shortening requires replacement of original tank with probably a lot smaller tank.

2) Axle width on '02 is about 2" wider than the '59. What's the solution: Shorten axels, use offset wheels, widen fenders slightly, don't worry about width issue? Offest wheels seem to be most reasonable and cost effective solution, suggestions on source of wheels?

3) '59 firewall will have to be modified and dash won't accomodate nearly as much junk as the '02. Will probably need to replace AC underdash components with aftermarket unit. Any recommendations?

4) Will proabably need new guages (I like the Dolphin brand guages), but will replacement guages require new wiring harness. Similarly, I probably won't be runnign all the original accessories, so, will I need to have someone like painless build a harness to my specific needs?

5) Can carrier bearing go when wheel base on doner '02 is shortened?

Well, you can probably see that I'm stretching my limits of knowledge and expertise, hope the questions don't sound to niave, but I'm just trying to tackle some of the most basic questions/issues so my mechanic doesn't have to waste his time (and my money) researching stuff I can research. Any help/comments/leads on info are appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
Painless makes a harness to transplant a 03+ engine in any platform you would like.

·
Prestige Worldwide
622 Posts
Here are some initial questions:

1) What do you recommend for replacement gas tank-- frame shortening requires replacement of original tank with probably a lot smaller tank.
Maybe not the most popular option due to bed space, but an in bed under the rail tank would give you plenty of capacity.

2) Offest wheels seem to be most reasonable and cost effective solution, suggestions on source of wheels?
I would think that late model wheels would be pretty close to the desired off-set and there are tons of sources!

3) '59 firewall will have to be modified and dash won't accomodate nearly as much junk as the '02. Will probably need to replace AC underdash components with aftermarket unit. Any recommendations?
Interesting... I would not have thought that the firewall would need modification on this swap. Is it because of the motor/front axle relationship to the 59 body?

4) Will proabably need new guages (I like the Dolphin brand guages), but will replacement guages require new wiring harness. Similarly, I probably won't be runnign all the original accessories, so, will I need to have someone like painless build a harness to my specific needs?
Think hipsi answered this.

5) Can carrier bearing go when wheel base on doner '02 is shortened?
Is the 59 a short bed? Yes... the carrier bearing can be eliminated in that case. A long bed would probably be a toss-up.

Well, you can probably see that I'm stretching my limits of knowledge and expertise, ....
As they say measure once and cut twice :$:

Sounds like a great project!

:peelout

·
Registered
381 Posts
Painless Performance: Part # Search2

There is a direct link to the harness.. I believe it is just for the sensors, pumps and what not but they also make a harness that will have signals, headlights, accessories, etc, ect..

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts