Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I presently have a 2018 Ram 3500 DRW and haul a 2019 Lance 1172. This beast is heavy....about 5300 LBS empty. I'm at 14020 scaled empty (including propane and batteries). RA weight is already at 9K, again empty. Presently the plan is to buy a small used enclosed trailer, between 3-5 GVWR and just tow what we need to carry with us as we will be full timing next year. I have installed Timbren SS and it rides much better, but still a little hairy.

Point of all of this, one good thing with the economy collapsing is truck prices are going down. I own my 18 outright, so depending on the trade value (which will suffer for the same reason) a 2019/2020 4500/5500 is looking good right now. I've been looking at truck bodies/flat beds that will fit my camper. Would like one that has storage vs just a flatbed. Also looking for one that is compatible with 5th wheel/gooseneck hitch. Very hard to find any pricing on these, or maybe I'm just a moron.....wouldn't surprise me. What kind of prices can I expect? We REALLY like the camper, so pretty sure we'd be happy if we can get the price right. The truck I'm looking at they're offering 52K plus TT&L, that is one phone call w/o any negotiating. I'm sure I can do a lot better than that, but just would like to know a ballpark of what I'm looking at for the bed/body for the camper. And hell, if anyone knows what the price of the truck should be, I'm all ears. Bought more trucks than I care to remember, but no CL 4 or 5. And for that matter, am I just being stupid and maybe just stick with what I've got? It's really not too bad of a set up, bourbon may be to blame....Thanks for any help and sorry if I'm just not googling the right thing.

https://window-sticker-services.pse.dealer.com/windowsticker/ram?vin=3C7WRNFLXKG705775

·
Registered
166 Posts
There another guy on here go just did a gooseneck mount with storage boxes and some diamond plate to cover the frame whatnot. It on this page a few down. He had a red truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just got a 2020 Ram 5500 That i special ordered because there were a few things i NEEDED that werent available off the lot from any dealers.

One thing you need to consider going from a 3500 to a 4500/5500 is Insurance. I have AAA and they wouldnt touch anything bigger than a 3500. In fact, most wouldnt. I found Nationwide would, and it was damn near $2k a year with a perfect driving record. Sucks, but i plan on having it re-registered as an RV within a year like i did with my last truck and that number will come down A LOT.

The build thread with more pics is in my sig

$60k even out the door:

Reg Cab 84CA
Cummins
HD 6 Speed Aisin Trans
4x4
Dual Fuel Tanks
Dual Alternators
LED Headlights (this option forced me into the SLT trim package but totally worth it)
4.89 gear ratio (i am running 41" tires and spin a pefect 1650 rpm on the freeway)
19,500 GVWR
8.4" stereo setup
Keyless entry
Premium tow package with the 360 camera setup (pretty cool but havent totally figured it out yet)

I know nothing about goosenecks and such, but that was the pricing on the truck EXACTLY how i wanted it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just got a 2020 Ram 5500 That i special ordered because there were a few things i NEEDED that werent available off the lot from any dealers.

One thing you need to consider going from a 3500 to a 4500/5500 is Insurance. I have AAA and they wouldnt touch anything bigger than a 3500. In fact, most wouldnt. I found Nationwide would, and it was damn near $2k a year with a perfect driving record. Sucks, but i plan on having it re-registered as an RV within a year like i did with my last truck and that number will come down A LOT.

The build thread with more pics is in my sig

$60k even out the door:

Reg Cab 84CA
Cummins
HD 6 Speed Aisin Trans
4x4
Dual Fuel Tanks
Dual Alternators
LED Headlights (this option forced me into the SLT trim package but totally worth it)
4.89 gear ratio (i am running 41" tires and spin a pefect 1650 rpm on the freeway)
19,500 GVWR
8.4" stereo setup
Keyless entry
Premium tow package with the 360 camera setup (pretty cool but havent totally figured it out yet)

I know nothing about goosenecks and such, but that was the pricing on the truck EXACTLY how i wanted it.
Can you provide more info on the RV side of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can you provide more info on the RV side of it?
Every state varies, but here in CA, if you have a camper box attached to your truck that has sleeping quarters, a place to cook and 110v power, you can register it as an RV.

Interpretations of above vary widly though. I went through AAA and was out in 20 mins! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 5500 on order, I plan to build my own camper deck with boxes a hybrid kind of thing (no idea when, the truck might get here with what's going on...) in my opinion douglasstruckbodies. makes the nicest beds for campers, CM makes very nice flatbeds, If you want fairly cheap, CM seem reasonable add some horizontal boxes along the sides under the camper, can be easily removed with 6 or so bolts. and CM has the goose neck in the deck.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
A flatbed is fairly heavy in itself, which is why I built a "camper tray" instead, with a place for the spare tire and three tool boxes. I don't need it anymore, if you're interested.
The round tubing is for SprayMaster fenders, by the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts